H100 Horror flick in Production from notable Director at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 29th, 2006, 12:48 AM   #1
Hollywood Studio Rentals

H100 Horror flick in Production from notable Director

A long time client of our shop (Hollywood Studio Rentals) is shooting a new HD100 horror feature. Just about all the camera, grip, and lighting gear were purchased from us and shipped out to them in Ohio.

The filmmaker is Robert Kurtzman.
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0476071/
He is major player in VFX. Most recently VFX supervising "HOSTEL"
He is the Director of "the Wishmaster" and the creator of "From Dusk til Dawn".

His new film entitled "The Rage" stars 2004 Playboy playmate of the year Carmella DeCasare & andre Divoff best known as the "Djinn" in the Wishmaster films.

Link to the film's Site: http://www.theragefilm.com

I spoke to Robert on Thursday and he's loving the HD100. Be sure to check out the photo gallery for some great pics of the HD100 on set...AND the WATCH Teaser trailer he just put up!!!

Enjoy,

Sean Dinwoodie
DP/ Engineer
Hollywood Studio Rentals

Last edited by Sean Dinwoodie; January 29th, 2006 at 01:37 AM.
Sean Dinwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 01:08 AM   #2
Major Player

I've had a look at the site, looks awesome...nice make up and the scenes wow, how much is the budget? also is that the stock lens that they are using? theres a pic of it on set 3
Old January 29th, 2006, 01:45 AM   #3
Hollywood Studio Rentals

It appears to be the Fuji Wide we sold them.

As far as the budget goes ???? I did not ask, but it would be hard to say considering they can do Make Up and EFX in house that would cost millions if hired out.

BTW .....For those of you who want to see some Hi-Rez frame grabs check out the downloads for the 1152x864 wall papers.

Regards,

Sean Dinwoodie
Engineer & DP
Hollywood Studio Rentals
Sean Dinwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 04:19 AM   #4
Trustee

Thanks for sharing Sean, the images look great! Nice to hear about one more film being shot on the JVC HD100. It should be a good example for those who want to buy one but are still afraid of the undeserved bad press the camera had in the beginning. If SSE was such a big deal people would not be using this camera to shoot films, specially horror which I would think have lots of low light scenes. To the contrary to what many thought or expected, the HD100 seems to be slowly becoming the new HD indie camera in a similar fashion the DVX100 is in the SD level.. It's a given actually. Exchangeable lens, great performance, priced right, cheap media and simple workflow. Specially after Adam Wilt's results, anybody producing a film would most likely not be willing to pay the double of the price, get in a complicated and expensive workflow or have to rely on expensive media and then not even be able to choose your lens. Unless for those with very particular production requirements and the need for HD-SDI (very few in the indie moviemaking world and I would bet from a practical point of view the HD analog out could do just as good) or variable frame rates other than 50p and 60p (the HD100 does those and if it's for DVD release it’s more than good enough) nobody will pay close to 10k. If the HD100 had a very poor performance it could even be, but with the performance it have been showing, that’s not the case. My thoughts are that each camera will sit comfortably in a different segment. The HD100 seems to be the one that will fit in the indie moviemaking segment.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 08:09 AM   #5
Major Player

Trailer is black...

I installed Flash player8, but still I only hear audio from the trailer...the video stays black
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 08:31 AM   #6
Regular Crew

It works. I'm using Safari on a PowerBook and I can see it. However, I think that it is supposed to be choppy.
Tom Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Colemont
I installed Flash player8, but still I only hear audio from the trailer...the video stays black
Marc, have you closed and re-opened your browser after installing the plug-in?
What browser are you using? If not Firefox then give it a try: http://www.mozilla.com.

--
Paolo
Paolo Ciccone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 12:14 PM   #8
New Boot

It appears the grading process was skipped on the teaser. I was pretty unimpressed with how it looked, the lighting is too high key for me, especially with the given genre. I'd like to see how the flick looks when its ready for distribution because I think there is alot more that can be done here.
Chad Simcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 12:25 PM   #9
Major Player

This is awesome!

I pray this is a good movie and that if it is, it gets major distribution and a worldwide theatrical release!

- ShannonRawls.com
Old January 31st, 2006, 03:37 PM   #10
Major Player

This shows what a difference good production values can make...

I'm glad we're starting to see 'serious' productions using the same cameras we have access to. This seldom happened with SD miniDV but it's seems to be changing.

Regarding their camera choice, if you think about it any production with a decent budget that opts to get a low-end of the market camera will opt most likely for something that has 24p and a manual lens, which only the JVC has at the moment. The H1 will probably be a good alternative in the future when more lens options are available.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 05:07 PM   #11
Tourist

Jemore we are using the fuji wide angle lens on our "main" camera and the stock on our secondary camera. so far we very happy with this camera,and we are all impressed with the way everything looking. and if you guys liked what you saw in the teaser ...... well just wait i think your going to be floored with the final product :)

Editor /CG Artist

www.p13entertainment.com
www.theragefilm.com
Andrew Sagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 09:00 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Bruce Meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 11:42 AM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Simcox
It appears the grading process was skipped on the teaser.
Agreed. With some color work, it will look great. All the stuff that looks high-key can be knocked down and look appropriate for the genre.

I'll give the guys the benefit of the doubt that that is in the plan.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 02:53 PM   #14
Tourist

Yes the trailer that is on the website is pre color work, there is still a things that need to be done before we are finished with this movie. any questions you guys might have feel free to ask ill try to answer them :)

Editor /CG Artist

www.p13entertainment.com
www.theragefilm.com
Andrew Sagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Andrew question

did u shoot thie 24p or 30p? and how are you editing the footage?
Jon Glen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems