WCV-82SC Wide Angle Adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 14th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #1
Major Player

WCV-82SC Wide Angle Adapter

Since the Th13X3.5BRMU is priced well above the cost of our JVC HD100, it's not an item that we can budget right now. However, we still need a wider angel of view than the current 16X lens has to offer. We need a short term solution VERY soon, for a few wide(r) establishing shots mostly. A remaining majority of the shots are lined out with the standard 16X, solo (wish us luck).

Has anyone tried "first hand" the wide angle adapter, WCV-82SC?
What negative drawbacks should I expect? I'm realistic here.
Most important, am I wasting my money or can I get some practical use of it?

I am perfectly happy buying the adapter and posting some results if it’s worth the investment.

Thanks in advance.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Check here:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=45248
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #3
Wrangler

It's been covered here too, but the short story is that it's barely wide enough, but it's sharp and doesn't add any more CA.

In other words, it does the job well.
Old February 14th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #4
Major Player

Nate,

Agreed, after reading Tim's post and looking at the pix on the DVX forum (I had searched DVinfo and found nothing under the GY-HD100 section btw), I'm not so sure the adapter adds enough to justify the cost. I would like to see another example of with and without the WCV-82SC of something like a storefront... or anything between 50-100' from camera.

I contacted Cavision about the 0.7x adapter they sell and it's a fair amount less money, quoted at $359. Anyone thoughts on the Cavision adapter?
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #5
Major Player

wide comparison pics

Here's a shot out my (dirty) office window with stock lens full wide and stock with wide adapter.
http://www.rvimedia.com/pics/house-wide-stock.jpg
http://www.rvimedia.com/pics/house-wide-adapter.jpg

I'd estimate the house is about 30-40 yards distant.

I'm not sure what conditions aggravate the CA but it's bad today.
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 07:56 PM   #6
Major Player

Not much difference, but good enough in my opinion. I will get one because I need it for shooting SD 4:3. A good thing about this adapter is that you can use all zoom, I don't know about the Cavision one.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #7
Major Player

Cavision

I bought a Cavision adapter for my JVC 500 a few years back. sent it back to Canada as quick as I could. Lost money on the taxes and shipping I had to pay. Biggest piece of crap that I ever bought. If you think that the stock 16x lens has CA, wait until you see the Cavision stuff. Didn't have zoom all the way thru the lens. Pay the extra money and get the JVC or Century Optics stuff. Saving a few hundred dollars isn't worth the crappy images your camera will get with the Cavision stuff.

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 01:44 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Shultz
Here's a shot out my (dirty) office window with stock lens full wide and stock with wide adapter.
http://www.rvimedia.com/pics/house-wide-stock.jpg
http://www.rvimedia.com/pics/house-wide-adapter.jpg

I'd estimate the house is about 30-40 yards distant.

I'm not sure what conditions aggravate the CA but it's bad today.
Warren,

Thank you VERY much for doing that, it's more than appreciated! We are going to purchase one first thing in the morning. Although it is hard to justify the price associated with such a small addition to viewing area, we need all that we can get right now.

And thank you Daniel for saving us the hassle, time and money on the Cavision adapter.

This forum has been worth it's weight in gold.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems