Renting the camera with the wide lens... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 15th, 2006, 10:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Renting the camera with the wide lens...

Does anyone know anyone in the LA area who's renting the camera with the wide angle lens...

Thanks Gary
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 02:18 AM   #2
Major Player

Yes, me...

Gary,

I think I have a pretty nice kit, and you can select what you want or just use the camera:

For starters, I have the GY-HD100 with the optional wide lens (and of course the stock one too), a great Petroff 2-stage matte box with French flag and side wings (tested not to vignette even zoomed full wide and at any filter rotation), the strong Schneider polarizing filter (True-Pol I think), 3 Anton Bauer Dionic 90 batteries and three simultaneous stations of charging (which is overkill because each battery runs five hours), Cartoni Focus F4 fluid head and sticks (sweet moves, balances the camera perfectly and is pretty solid with two tubes all the way down), and even a remote zoom control. Depending on when you shoot I might have a follow focus, next week somtime but not yet.

I'll also include (if you need it) a nice sound/monitor cart ("taco" cart with 16" pneumatic tires for stairs or rough terrain) with a 16:9 17" HD Samsung LCD built in. I can also bring a JVC CRT field monitor with blue gun, underscan, etc. if you want the extra color/exposure reality check, but it's not 16:9.

My sound gear includes a Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro, two great AT100 wireless mics, a boompole with Sennheiser 416 and 816 mics, plus an Oktava cardioid condenser (Russian copy of Schoeps).

The cart connects to the camera with a very trick 25 foot sound snake with a component video return for true 720P HD monitoring. The snake also includes two balanced XLR audio sends and a headphone return yet is only 3/8" thick and amazingly light and flexible for all that it is. Seriously, you will not find this very crucial piece of kit anywhere else.

Plus I bring much more such as gobs of mic cabling, two wind zeps, headphones, tone generator for set-up (actually a 3 into 1 field mixer), a clapboard/slate and so forth. The clapboard function actually has some utility on this camera if you want to try and figure out how to get to the PCM audio in post. Steve Mullen says it's possible with a second capture just for sound, hence the clapboard.

AND if you want some SOLAR color temp lighting, I have two (1400 watt tungsten equivalent brightness) Flolites which are imitation Kino Flos and an Alzo (800 watt tungsten equivalent brightness) "HMI" HID with softbox or doors. I have appropriate middle-weight stands for all three. Again, all are in the solar color temp range, I don't have 3200K tubes for the fluorescents.

I work as VP of Production and Development for a TV company (TMC Entertainment) and can't always get away, so depending on the dates you need the camera I may or may not be personally available to work on-set, but with or without me my gear will probably be available unless your shoot seems potentially hazardous to the equipment for some reason.

But, my preference is to be there and technically assist your DP and crew with setting up the camera (if your DP wants) and also to do sound mixing. I'm an experienced and competent location sound recordist (video only) as you can verify by running my IMDb (Tip McPartland) and this is only a very small fraction of what I've done. Or I can help in other ways or leave you be.

By the way, I'm a good operator/DP as long as we stay on the sticks -- one of my DP jobs is now the world's biggest music video on the Internet with over 5,000,000 downloads (and a hilariously biting VH-1 parody), all of which you can see at www.americawestandasone.com. It was shot with my trusty old 2/3" D-9 camera.

Call me Thursday daytime at TMC Entertainment at 310 806-4400 (private line 310 806-4406) or Friday at my home 909 338-3160 -- later Thursday night there too. Or any time try my cell at (909) 534-1449. You can also e-mail me at tipsd9video@msn.com.

I'll check this forum for a note from you as well, but I'm not sure what the rules are about stuff like that.

I'm not going to say a price here but I promise you I won't lose your business over money and the overall value will be superb. Oh yes, I'll also offer a sweetheart deal on the BR-HD50 deck to support your use of my camera provided it doesn't have to go out of the area. I did note though that you're from out of state, so that may be a non-starter.

(Dear Moderator: Sorry about the public post but Gary cannot be e-mailed privately. I checked that before posting this. If you wish to block this message, could you please forward it privately to Gary for me, or amend in such a way that he still knows I'm available? Thanks in advance.)

Tip

Last edited by Tip McPartland; February 16th, 2006 at 02:57 AM.
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 06:42 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Tip...

I sent you another email...
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems