Greenscreen m2t for you to "play" with. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 17th, 2006, 05:24 PM   #1
Trustee

Greenscreen m2t for you to "play" with.

Hi guys and gals,

By request, here is a greenscreen shot in HDV 720p30. Sorry the exposure is a tick low. Still you can get the idea. This is HDV from tape and not captured out of the components as you normally would in a studio scenario (to get 422 colorspace). HD-100 greenscreen shot courtesy WYIN (PBS affiliate Merrillville, IN). Thanks Chuck Heaver and the guys and gals at the station, PBS is great.

Weatherman m2t (82MB) Raw file
Weatherman Chromakeyed wmv (26MB) using Commotion's greenscreen keyer in Liquid and the spill killer EZ commotion plug. I just laid the filters on the clip and did nothing else (no tweaks). I'm sure the chromakey guru's can do a better job than me!

all the best and keep shooting!

Last edited by Stephen L. Noe; February 17th, 2006 at 10:15 PM.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The link appears to be broken. Hope you can fix it.

Regards,
Rodrigo Medina
Old February 17th, 2006, 06:30 PM   #3
Major Player

Link works fine here, try contrl-click or right mouse-button -> Save.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 09:55 PM   #4
Trustee

wmv added in first post....
Old February 18th, 2006, 09:10 AM   #5
Trustee

This is amazing. Thank you Stephen. I have seen green screen footage from the other cameras but never any good stuff from the HD100. This at least confirms for me that it does it very well.

Was the detail turned off in this shot because I didn't notice any edge enhancement problems on the key.

Oh by the way I did a key with it in Shake and it looks amazing. I applied a chroma filter and the results were a perfect key. Not bad for HDV. I'm not sure how much of an improvement going live uncompressed would be since I got such good results by bluring the chroma by 6 pixels. Without the filter however there are edge problems on the keys you did and the first one I did.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #6
Major Player

BTW, has anyone attempted to convert Stephen's M2T clip to Cineform AVI? I tried but got a scrambled mess.
Earl Thurston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 11:33 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Thurston
BTW, has anyone attempted to convert Stephen's M2T clip to Cineform AVI? I tried but got a scrambled mess.
Hi Earl. I just tried it with Vegas 6d and it worked fine.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #8
Major Player

Very helpful

I'm working on the next version of dvmatte blast, and this footage has been very helpful.

Here are some screencaps I've made while working with this footage:
- Fine details against gray
- A similar frame in context
- Trying to hold on to as much motion blur as possible
- Motion blurred hand

This all renders in realtime in 720p. It is sooooo nice to be able to adjust the key with a slider while the footage is playing...

The spill suppression is just a placeholder right now, which is why it's not doing a very good job... Overall, I think HD100 footage will be challenging at times, but ultimately very usable for keying.

What do you guys think? Any feedback?

- ben
Ben Syverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 07:05 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Looks rather good, Ben!

Edit: that dvmatte thingy looks nice - haven't seen such a thingy for PC...

I too had a quick go at it - using After Effects / Keylight, just minor tweakage on default settings. I converted the m2t to uncompressed avi to get it in AE -

http://eki.pp.fi/temp/Weatherman_Eki.wmv
Eki Halkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
Was the detail turned off in this shot because I didn't notice any edge enhancement problems on the key.

Oh by the way I did a key with it in Shake and it looks amazing. I applied a chroma filter and the results were a perfect key. Not bad for HDV. I'm not sure how much of an improvement going live uncompressed would be since I got such good results by bluring the chroma by 6 pixels. Without the filter however there are edge problems on the keys you did and the first one I did.
Hi Thomas,

The detail was set to -7 (so not off). I'd like to see your results. Can you post a wmv?
Old February 21st, 2006, 05:46 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks for posting. That clip was really helpful in confirming my research about the JVC. Just goes to show that regardless of the camera and its compression, you still need a good chromakey set...

Thanks again.

Edit: I played further with AEPro/Keylight... when tweaking keylight to view "color correction edges", you can just make out the SSE. Interesting...

Last edited by Jason Hamby; February 21st, 2006 at 09:56 PM.
Jason Hamby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems