Capture HD100U footage using FX1 for playback? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 23rd, 2006, 06:49 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Capture HD100U footage using FX1 for playback?

By any chance has anyone been able to capture any HD100U footage using a Sony FX1 as a playback deck? I'm trying to do this now and the video plays fine on the camera's LCD screen, but isn't coming across to my capture utility (Edius MPEGCapture). Any suggestions on how to get this to work?
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 06:59 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I'm real interested to hear what you learn trying to do this. First thing I would try would be a different capture utility, if you have one available. If it's playing on the camera LCD from the tape, the signal sure as heck should be on the firewire line, unless they did something I can't think of any reason to do, in the design phase of developing the camera (it would be more design work to keep a format that is not native to the camera, yet that will play on screen, off the firewire during playback, one would think).
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 07:08 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I just thought of a way to test it that should tell you if the signal is on the firewire line during playback of a tape, recorded with the HD100U, in the FX1. I believe that if you try to view it with DV Rack with HDV, you should be able to see it on your computer monitor if the signal is indeed actually there (and the trial version works with HDV - that I've done, with my HD10U, although I have encountered stability problems thus far).
Old February 23rd, 2006, 08:37 PM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

It's not possible. Sony specifically does not transport the JVC footage on the firewire.

If you want to digitize JVC footage, you have to use a JVC product to do it.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
Thanks Barry. Any suggestions for a capture utility for the HD100U for the PC platform? I've borrowed the camera again for the weekend but I'm having trouble with the utility I use for the Sony HDV cameras.
Old February 24th, 2006, 08:42 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
By any chance has anyone been able to capture any HD100U footage using a Sony FX1 as a playback deck? I'm trying to do this now and the video plays fine on the camera's LCD screen, but isn't coming across to my capture utility (Edius MPEGCapture). Any suggestions on how to get this to work?
Kevin:

Out of curiousity, does it output to the component cables ?
Old February 24th, 2006, 09:07 PM   #7
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
Thanks Barry. Any suggestions for a capture utility for the HD100U for the PC platform? I've borrowed the camera again for the weekend but I'm having trouble with the utility I use for the Sony HDV cameras.
The programs I've used that work are Vegas 6, Pixela HD Capture, and HDV Rack.

Edius 3.61 should be able to do it too.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:44 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks, I did finally get it to work (barely) using my computer with the Edius 3.61 updates installed. I had to keep rebooting to get it to work properly, but eventually I got the footage captured.
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:46 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Out of curiousity, does it output to the component cables ?
Sorry, I didn't test that while I had the camera.
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:01 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
It's not possible. Sony specifically does not transport the JVC footage on the firewire.

I'm a little confused. If I understood what Kevin first said, he was viewing a clip on an FX1 that had been taped with an HD100. If that's the case, it was digitized (it's HDV coming from the tape).

My interest would be in capturing HDV recorded with an FX1, using my HD10 as a capture deck.

Was I understanding what you wrote correctly Kevin, or did I misinterpret what you were saying?

There's a freeware capture utility that I really like, called WinDV. Among other things, it buffers input in memory (which many payware cap utils don't). That can cut down dramatically on dropped frames if your hard drive is fragged, if you're multitasking, or capturing to a 5400rpm laptop drive, etc.
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:11 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Robert: I was able to view the JVC footage on the LCD of my FX1, but not capture it via firewire. I ended up borrowing the camera again to capture the footage, and even then it was a challenge.
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:16 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I'll be finding out pretty quick if an HDV tape made by an FX1 can be captured with an HD10. My FX1 should be here tomorrow or Thursday. I've been told it can't be done, but I don't know of anyone that has actually tried do it, so I'm going to put it to the acid test.
Old March 1st, 2006, 06:40 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright

My interest would be in capturing HDV recorded with an FX1, using my HD10 as a capture deck.
No, Sony's HDV is unplayable on the JVC (I tried)

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:07 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Oh well. It was a nice dream while it lasted.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems