CU-VH1U player/recorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 26th, 2006, 01:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

CU-VH1U player/recorder

Hi'ya guys/gals, well i'm "this close" to picking up the HD100u camera and am now of course thinking of how to get the footage in to my NLE, is the CU-VH1U player/recorder a good option? anybody with experience out there in la-la land with this guy? the price seems really good but i'm not sure if it will pass hdv24p footage to my NLE. are there any limitations to what i can do with it?

would it be a better choice to go with the PRO-HD RECORDER/PLAYER? (the big guy...that is'nt all that big)

any help/advice would be great!
Jon Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Same question.

Seems like the little deck would work fine. I don't believe 24p plays correctly on the LCD (garbled), but I'm 99% sure it will playback and record 24p via firewire (i.e., from/to the computer). Can someone confirm this?

It is half the price of the other deck so it would be a good choice for some people. What are the pros/cons of the big unit vs the little unit.

Ben

HD Articles and Reviews at HDSource!
http://hdsource.highlydef.com
Ben Buie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #3
Major Player

Big unit can play DVCAM tapes if needed (large cassette). It also has an HDMI out on it to use with LCD screens. (By the way the new Sony HDV decks now have this feature as well).

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 06:49 PM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

The earlier JVC products (pre-HD100, that is) cannot display HDV24p footage, but they can transport it.

I used an HD1 to capture 24p footage and print back to tape. As long as you have some way to view the project (i.e., if you're capturing into a computer you can use the computer monitor to view the footage, like through HDV Rack).

It's not ideal, as scanning through a tape can't be done on the HD1 or HD10 camera or deck by itself because you can't see what you're looking at either on the inbuilt LCD or on a monitor connected to the camera or deck. But as a strictly firewire input device, it can be put to work.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #5
Major Player

Jon,

I use the baby all the time to transport 24p material from my tapes to my NLE and back to the tape when I am done. True you cannot see the image in its LCD, but if you are using Premiere and Cineform, you will be able to see it in the capturing option of the NLE.

I have been "complaning" a lot about why JVC does not gives us the update of the firmware to fully utilize it, but all doors have benn closed to me. They started by saying that the unit will not do what is indeed doing (transport 24p material), but when Barry discovered and posted the information here, JVC changed their version, and call it a "spooler" (not quiet a deck perse).

I still have not been convinced by any person/reason given to me that a firmware update is what is needed to fully use the baby with 24p material, and even DVCAM. I understand they are protecting the sales of the big deck, but I believe somehow, one day we may be "pleased" by them and get it. Anyways, anyone that is an independent filmaker is a dreamer, so what the heck...I continue to dream about it!

Luis Otero
Luis Otero is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems