DV Up-Resing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 3rd, 2006, 07:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DV Up-Resing

On the rare occasion when a dv/hdv/digital/sd/whatever piece of footage makes it into a main stream piece of cinema, mostly documentaries really, seems to me that say DV footage in this case is somehow uprezed from 720 x 480 to the film format, I know you can just up-rez things, but I was curious to know besides just blowing it straight up if there's a way to kind of refine the pixelization and somehow infuse it with more resolution, I heard of(never seen) software that will take a photo at low-rez and using some special algorithim enlarge it without doing pixelization, does this sort of thing exist for video? Please tell us, give us your thoughts on the matter.
Bruce Meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 07:07 AM   #2
Major Player

You are talking abou S-Spline. On some pictures that software works very well, on others it doesn't. Anyhow, remember this: the detail isn't there on tape, so you'll never get it! Some algorithms will just make a 'smoother' uprezzed image...
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 02:11 PM   #3
Inner Circle

There are several methods for resizing. Aside from spline, bicubic resizing is one of the better approaches for enlarging natural images.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Actually, in theory at least, a series of frames can contain information that can be used to intelligently interpolate more detail into each of the frames. I don't think I've seen it done, but it certainly could be (might take a cray to do it!). That sort of thing would almost fall into the AI category.
Old March 4th, 2006, 02:20 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I'm sort of hoping to coax my Dad into taking a stab at a sort of AI approach to interpolating detail into the individual frames, by analyzing series of frames. He's a computer scientist from almost as far back as the stone age and studied AI most his life. I doubt he'll ever try to take it on though. He's retired now, in his early 70s.
Old March 4th, 2006, 02:22 PM   #6
Wrangler

Another popular application for uprezzing still photos is called Genuine Fractals. As the name implies, it uses fractal based calculations for uprezzing.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Are there any resize filters for Vegas available that use either spline of fractals?
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems