More Slow Motion questions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 15th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
It's not a matter of HDV, the fact is that a software trick will just double the existing frames and it will add some interpolated frames with, possibly, some frame blending. It's OK but it doesn't create the real slow-mo effect. Think of filming a stone being thrown into a lake. The dynamics of the stone hitting the water surface, the water ripples and splashes, all that stuff can't be captured at standard speed and then slowed down effectively. On the other hand, if you overcrank you actually capture more "events", events that you can watch later at slower speed.

Hope this makes sense :)

--
Paolo
Hey Paolo,

it's been a few years but i use to play around with Storm Edit which was bundled with the dv storm I. if i recall, it had a slo mo filter, very simple to apply, i remember it working pretty good, i assumed such filters were widespread. guess not.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 12:42 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce
Hey Paolo,

it's been a few years but i use to play around with Storm Edit which was bundled with the dv storm I. if i recall, it had a slo mo filter, very simple to apply, i remember it working pretty good, i assumed such filters were widespread. guess not.
I'm not familiar with Storm Edit but both FCP and AfterEffect have a way of extending the speed of a clip by any arbitrary value. Both have frame blending capabilities and they do a good job. I used them to create some nice, romantic look on some scenes, it's a nice way of "cheating" because of the digital flexibility. It just not real slomo :)
It all depends on the scene. Some scenes will work perfectly in full HD res. with digital speed stretch. Think of a reaction shot of a person turning back. Now think of people seating at a table, a gangster opens fire with a machine gun. Squibs splat blood around, fragments of china, food and broken glasses go flying around. That's something you would like to shoot with true slomo.

--
Paolo
Paolo Ciccone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 04:08 PM   #18
Major Player

Importing the 480p 60fps into FCP?

Trying not to add clutter to the threads, so I'm posting here.

Is there a logical way to take the SD-HDV 480p 60fps footage from the JVC HD100/110 into FCP Studio? I talked to Focusenhancements and they say that their hard drive HD-100 series will record the 480p 60fps HDV signal in a Mt2 file. Ok assuming that is correct (???) anyone done the importation of 60fps HDV into FCP studio? I imagine that FCP Studio 1 (2??) still doesn't see Mt2 natively yet so I would need to import the MT2 file into a converter and export it as 720p DVCPROHD 60p or some other quicktime file format that FCP could recognize. That program being Lumiere or HDVxDV or some other programs out there? (cheap or free is prefered of course)
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems