comparing the HD100 to the Z1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 17th, 2006, 04:50 PM   #16
Major Player

Fischer,

I'm a HD101E owner and I played with the sony before. as far as I'm concerned the JVC is the winner hands down. Off course you can always find small things better on a "Peugeot 206 GTI" then on a Ferrari 360 (cupholders, perhaps?), but as far as I'm concerned none that make the big picture.

Moreover, I don't know where you are from, but over here in europe, the sony is only half the price of the JVC. You can pick the sony up for around €4000, while you need for the JVC at least €6500-€7000 + every accesory that you need is more expensive ( you NEED the IDX or A/B kit to work seriously - add another €1500-€2000, you want a tripod that can support the HD100? - add another €1000 minimum, you need a bag? - fine ones around, starting at about €400...). A kit with a HD100, a standard lens and some batteries will be around €10.000, while a kit with a SONY with batteries and all will be aroun €5000....

As Barry said: they are complete opposites. That is so very true - even in price. Another difference: Go to a big AudioVideo-store for amateur camcorder: they will have the SONY as their top-model, and if not they'll be able to get it for you. Ask for the JVC, they'll probably won't have ever heard of it. The camcorders are even traded in different 'circles'...
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #17
Major Player

Like Barry says, look at your needs:

If you want HD interlaced, get the Z1. If you want progressive, the HD100 is better.

Do you want shouldermount or handheld, proper lens or autofocus and OIS?

For my needs I chose the HD101. I also didn't find it much more expensive than the Z1 - I got a good kit - tripod, IDX kit, radio mics, Portabrace, zoom controller for £4200 exc VAT.

Also the battery issue is not an issue as you get the IDX kit free or 1/2 price in the UK. They last around 4 hours each.

I think the image it kicks out is 85% as good as a Varicam or F900, but at 10% of the cost!
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 05:53 PM   #18
Major Player

One note on the Z1U lens - at the end of its range it loses over a stop of light. The stock Fujinon on the HD100 doesn't seem to be as bad. If/when JVC improves the camera's overall reliability, it will be a 100% winner. I hope the "A" update will do just that...
Old March 17th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner Wesp
Go to a big AudioVideo-store for amateur camcorder: they will have the SONY as their top-model, and if not they'll be able to get it for you.
Are you talking about the Z1 or the FX1? Here in the US the Z1 is only sold by Sony's "pro" dealers; I don't think you'll find it in consumer stores. The price structure must be different in your country as well. At B&H Photo the current price for the Hd100 is $5,200 while the Z1 is $4,600.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems