CLUB LIGHTING w/ LOW LIGHT using JVC HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 26th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #1
New Boot

CLUB LIGHTING w/ LOW LIGHT using JVC HD100

I'm shooting a scene that takes place in a exotic club. The lighting is very low, mostly blacklights. I am using some fresnel lights with colored gels to light my subjects. I get the desired effect, but when I use a red/pink filter, or dark blue(the two colors I like the most) I get those jagged staircase borders around the rims of my subjects. I am curious if this has anything to do with the gamma settings, or the settings on my display. I have had trouble with red like this in the past, but never did anything about it. I haven't tried a more neutral backlight, or maybe turning off the blacklights, if they have anything to do with it. I like the glowy blue it produces though. So, the big question is what is causing those jagged lines? How can I get rid of them and still use red or blue lights. (the filters are vivid colors as well)
Thanks to anyone who can help.
Mason
Mason Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #2
Trustee

Mason, how did you set the sharpening in your camera?
Old March 26th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #3
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Dixon
I get those jagged staircase borders around the rims of my subjects. I am curious if this has anything to do with the settings on my display.
You are seeing aliasing. I can't think of anything in the HD100 that would cause this.

Are you watching the HD on a true HD monitor connected by an analog component cable? Interlace or progressive type monitor?
Old March 26th, 2006, 10:32 PM   #4
Wrangler

If you're shooting in DV mode, you're seeing the results of 4:1:1 color sampling. I run into it all the time shooting concerts with DVXs...it looks much worse on a computer monitor or NTSC production monitor than it will on consumer set.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems