ABC and HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 29th, 2006, 02:05 AM   #1
Major Player

ABC and HD100

I just received an e-mail that covered me on a post from another forum by a guy named Walter Graff. I know I can't cut and paste in quotes so I'll paraphrase a bit.

The "ABC lab" tested eleven HD100 cameras and loves them, says they're the best in the class. They are now using two of them on Good Morning America for "beauty shots." The post also says that the shaders say the cameras are as good as "the $100,000" cameras.

They've sent six cameras back to get the "A" upgrade so they can use the hard disks to record more programming. This is cool news that a big four network is using the HD100 for broadcast programming.

The poster also says that he's tested the camera extensively to try and get motion artifacts, and can't get any. Well, maybe he didn't try hard enough, but it does seem that for him at least there's no problem there.

The poster also says he's tested the sound and found it to be excellent, which dovetails with my own field experience so far.

Tip McPartland
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 02:29 AM   #2
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip McPartland
The poster also says that he's tested the camera extensively to try and get motion artifacts, and can't get any. Well, maybe he didn't try hard enough, but it does seem that for him at least there's no problem there.
Not clear at all what you mean by "motion artifacts."

1) Do you mean motion artifacts from 30fps with Smooth Filter ON?

2) Do you mean motion artifacts from 30fps with Smooth Filter OFF?

4) Do you mean MPEG-2 motion artifacts?
Old March 29th, 2006, 09:56 AM   #3
Major Player

NO motion artifacts

Steve,

Per Walter Graff, there are NO motion artifacts, but I think it's safe to say that he means MPEG problems rather than strobing from 24 or 30P which you might find on any camera using either of those frame rates if panning at the wrong speeds, etc. -- including film!

As the English language wraps itself around these new technologies, I believe that the usage pattern developing is to use "motion artifacting" for MPEG and other compression issues like you see in high detail areas on Dish Network with medium speed pans and so forth.

I remember working a an independent feature shot in HDCAM 24P and watching a 24P monitor. I was horrified at how stroby zoom and pans looked. The same for high motion shoots with DVX100 at 24P.

In the post Graff did say that ABC's ONLY concern about the HD100 was the possibility of strobing if used for football or other fast action sports.

Did you get to the original post yet? I sent most of it to you privately via the JVC forum, but of course did not post it. There's more positive feedback on the camera.

I'm still waiting to get my subscriptions to that list confirmed, and when/if I do, then I'll post a link, but anyone going there will have to subscribe to read the posts.

Tip
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 10:15 AM   #4
Trustee

Thanks for the info Tip.

The HD100 is one heck of a camera.

I can't wait to see what JVC has up their sleeves in the near future.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems