Run & gun w/JVC - Focusing observations... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 18th, 2006, 06:59 PM   #16
Major Player

Not so, I like the focus assist, and I think you will find most people think it's a good tool and works well. I just don't need to rely on it nearly as much I once did. It kind of trained me for what to look for with the peaking. It's just a lot easier to use peaking since you not only get your focus detail, but you also get your color and light values as well. Focus assit sort of robs you of that information, or it has to be turned off and then on again in order to be sure you are not too far off. I have enough to worry about without having to work another button. ;)

Regardless it's a very cool feature that still gets used by me on a on a rare occasion (but mostly when I hand the camera to someone who is new to the HD100).
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 04:53 AM   #17
Trustee

NAB? No. Motor City Comis Con? Yes.

[QUOTE=Jonathan Ames]Hey John, I hope you can make it over to the party in Vegas with us.

Jonathan -

I'd love to get out there to NAB - but no can do. I will be showing the premier of my lastest film, LIVING DEAD WORLD, at the Motor City Comic Con in Novi May 19, 20, and 21st for any one interested in the mid-west region. Burt Ward and Adam West and many other BATMAN television show vets are slated to appear. Should be a hoot.

Thanks for the nice remarks. As 4 shooting some 2d unit stuff (or whatever else you need), count me in, I'd love to....

You're absolutely right about the huge DOF being a bonus in run and gun situatitions. What I was trying to do on the fly was have a seletive depth of field (ie - the 35mm dof effect) on my shots. That is hard to get w/ video in the best of times w/o an adapter, so I admit I was testing both my abilities as well as the JVC's. Again, most of the shots were in perfect focus.

That said, I think that w/practice, it can be accompliced. The viewfinder on all the 'baby-4' cameras do seem to be a weak point (as you say Jonathan, the JVC is a great camera 4 the price - something had to give some where). I'd post my shots, but I just have no idea how to do it!

John
evilgeniusentertainment.com
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #18
Major Player

Two classic examples of how and when the Focus Assist works wonders.
We've done a few scenes in the past 48 hours that involved some fairly dramatic rack focus and a series of long dolly moves.
In both instances the simple LCD screen and FA were all that were required.
As anyone can tell you, pulling focus in either of these situations is among the more challenging endeavors for a AC.
It was a piece of cake after a couple of rehearsals with a glowing red guide even on the small screen.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 11:19 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Giberti
Two classic examples of how and when the Focus Assist works wonders.
We've done a few scenes in the past 48 hours that involved some fairly dramatic rack focus and a series of long dolly moves.
In both instances the simple LCD screen and FA were all that were required.
As anyone can tell you, pulling focus in either of these situations is among the more challenging endeavors for a AC.
It was a piece of cake after a couple of rehearsals with a glowing red guide even on the small screen.

That's what I'm saying too. :-) You can ease into focus because the FA tells you right when to stop.

Also, if you get lost during a move you can find focus pretty quickly. It also helps with Micro35. I was just sitting here a few minutes ago racking focus with that, and despite the image being upside down the FA is easy to key on.

It's like a video game... keep the target lit. It's makes rehearsing a move so much faster and no tape marks required for the shot.

I wish there was a way to send the FA info out to an external monitor though.
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #20
Trustee

me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Aaron
I wish there was a way to send the FA info out to an external monitor though.

That is absolutely right Joel. Hopefully this could be corrected in a firm ware update down the line, because half the time I'm focusing off of a monitor and not the eyepiece at all.

john
evilgeniusentertainment.com
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #21
2nd Unit TV

Well, I have to tell you, I usually don't use focus assist but Warren swore by it on location for 2nd Unit. After 2 days of prep shooting on the set in Tunica, we turned Warren loose on a prime cam location and his shots were perfectly in focus all the time. So the bottom line is it must work bercause the shooting we were asking of him wasn't the easiest. Think following a hockey puck. Nice work with or without focus assist, Warren.
Jonathan Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ames
Well, I have to tell you, I usually don't use focus assist but Warren swore by it on location for 2nd Unit.
The only problem I have with Focus Assist is that I tend to go for the button up on the handle and I have occasionally hit the record button by accident. I mentally know that one of the buttons has a "nipple," but it doesn't always register.
Robert Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 07:12 AM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jackson
The only problem I have with Focus Assist is that I tend to go for the button up on the handle and I have occasionally hit the record button by accident. I mentally know that one of the buttons has a "nipple," but it doesn't always register.
Also you can use the switch on the side of the handle to force the top Record button off (call record inhibit).
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 07:25 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Also you can use the switch on the side of the handle to force the top Record button off (call record inhibit).
That's a good call. I use that record button a lot when I'm holding the camera by the handle, but for times when I'm working on a tripod or have the camera on my shoulder I should do that.
Robert Jackson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems