JVC Jumping the gun on a press release? (Good news for Mac owners.) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 22nd, 2006, 02:00 PM   #1
Wrangler

JVC Jumping the gun on a press release? (Good news for Mac owners.)

So I just visited the JVC US Pro site to see if there was any info yet on the HD250.

I didn't see anything about the 250, but there are three new quicktime video testimonials in the upper right of the website.
If you watch #3, with Rodney Charters CSC ASC, (DP of 24,) he says something very interesting:
My paraphrasing: "The major milestone is that now FCP accepts ...true 24 frames... and this is an advance on the hokey-pokey that went on with different codecs and so on. This is the first time a pure 24 frame signal has been able to be achieved through firewire to a laptop."

I checked Apple's press releases, and there is no news yet about a new update to FCP.

I also checked JVC's Press Releases and no news.

I guess I'll have to wait till I get to NAB to find out more. It sucks though because I'm capturing all weekend with Lumiere HD and thinking about how many hours I'm wasting and I don't even have TC!
Old April 22nd, 2006, 02:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Hopefully720/24p FCP. Avid, Adobe, Vegas etc.

I'm not an industry insider nor am I at NAB (Rats) but if JVC has sold more than 12000 HD 100's to date then I imagine all of the NLE manufacturers will have to implement a smooth HDV 720/24p injest/workflow via firewire just to stay competitive. Right now it's just Canopus. (Adobe, sort of)( Canopus Not a bad program, good codec weird interface/commands) I think we all benefit from the Apple and Avid and others competition.

I have a feeling our worst workflow days and JVC HDV digitizing nightmares will be behind us in the near future.

After all, isn't that mainly why we've all sent our cameras back for "A" upgrades??????
Old April 22nd, 2006, 05:14 PM   #3
Major Player

Wow Tim quite informative this is one of the main reasons I was going to the NAB was to find out what apple was doing with Final Cut Pro, Guess I know now. Thanks for the information.
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 07:01 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Williams
Wow Tim quite informative this is one of the main reasons I was going to the NAB was to find out what apple was doing with Final Cut Pro, Guess I know now. Thanks for the information.
Gary,

Are you going to be at the FCP User's Group Supermeet Wednesday night?

Tickets are $15
Old April 23rd, 2006, 06:13 AM   #5
Major Player

Sorry but no, I am leaving on Tuesday only their for two days. Sunday to play and Monday for the NAB, its all I had time for that and Jonathans party.
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 09:31 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
So I just visited the JVC US Pro site to see if there was any info yet on the HD250.

I didn't see anything about the 250, but there are three new quicktime video testimonials in the upper right of the website.
If you watch #3, with Rodney Charters ASC, (DP of 24,) he says something very interesting:
My paraphrasing: "The major milestone is that now FCP accepts ...true 24 frames... and this is an advance on the hokey-pokey that went on with different codecs and so on. This is the first time a pure 24 frame signal has been able to be achieved through firewire to a laptop."

I checked Apple's press releases, and there is no news yet about a new update to FCP.
!

Tim,

I believe the upgrade to FCP 5.1 is the what Rodney is referring to. FCP 5.1 is a $49 mail in your disks upgrade for owners of 5.0 and that's one of its features. The main feature of the upgrade is the 'universal binaries' where both Power PC and Intel code are on the same disk. However, I am hearing that 5.1 also has somewhat improved render times for the G5 processors and a whopping 400% improvement in render times on the new Intel Macs running native Intel code. This is according to some render tests done on a German website.

Quoting the I/O specs page, "HD at 1080i 50/60, 1080p 23.98/24, and 720p 23.98/30/60"

This is the page I am referring to. Look in the righthand column. http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/...pro/specs.html

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 09:52 AM   #7
Wrangler

I don't think so Greg.
FCP5 has always supported 720P24 in uncompressed or DVCPROHD and I think that is what the specs refer to. What FCP5 (or 5.1) have not been capable of is native HDV 720P24 from the HD100, and Rodney seems to suggest that this is now possible.
Traditionally Apple has released new versions of FCP at NAB, but since 5.1 was just released, many have assumed there wouldn't be an update this year.
I'd imagine a 5.5 version with added support for Canon and JVC HDV (the way they went from 4.1 to 4.5HD two years ago.)

Then again, maybe Rodney Charters was just misinformed the JVC editor chose to keep the statement in the testimonial?
Old April 23rd, 2006, 10:02 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
I don't think so Greg.
FCP5 has always supported 720P24 in uncompressed or DVCPROHD and I think that is what the specs refer to. What FCP5 (or 5.1) have not been capable of is native HDV 720P24 from the HD100, and Rodney seems to suggest that this is now possible.
Traditionally Apple has released new versions of FCP at NAB, but since 5.1 was just released, many have assumed there wouldn't be an update this year.
I'd imagine a 5.5 version with added support for Canon and JVC HDV (the way they went from 4.1 to 4.5HD two years ago.)

Then again, maybe Rodney Charters was just misinformed the JVC editor chose to keep the statement in the testimonial?
Agreed, Tim. But I swear I remember a blurb about the 5.1 supporting another previously unsupported HDV flavor. May have been support for Canon, but I thought it was for the JVC. I am reseaching it right now to see if I can find supporting documentation.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 10:29 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Agreed, Tim. But I swear I remember a blurb about the 5.1 supporting another previously unsupported HDV flavor. May have been support for Canon, but I thought it was for the JVC. I am reseaching it right now to see if I can find supporting documentation.

-gb-
I think there would have been some fireworks around here if it had! We looked at the 5.1 specs quite closely and there didn't seem to be anything new to write home about except for Universal application.
Old April 24th, 2006, 04:59 PM   #10
Major Player

There is a small space in the Apple display at NAB that says something like "Native 24p editing with FCP". They even have an HD100 sitting right there. However, as stated earlier, the native 24p only seems to apply to DVCproHD, or uncompressed. The apple guy said there was nothing new to report, and HDV 24p still needed the likes of LumiereHD for ingest.

I have FCP 5.1 on my MacBook, and sadly there are only three presets for HDV. They do not include a preset for HDV 24p.

Everyone keep hoping though...
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 05:25 PM   #11
Major Player

Nate Weaver has posted that they are demonstrating the HD100 in FCP capturing in 24p at the apple booth.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 03:22 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Silva
Nate Weaver has posted that they are demonstrating the HD100 in FCP capturing in 24p at the apple booth.
They are showing it as a "Tech Preview" that will be in the next version of FCP. They won't say if it will be a dot release or a major release.

They are playing their cards close to the vest.

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 11:30 PM   #13
Major Player

Its true

Thats true I was their to and it works but they wont say anything only showing that it works
Gary Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems