Crack in Viewfinder - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 26th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #16
Major Player

Joey,

Are you using a matte box or do you have anything attached to the lens anywhere?

Our matte box attached directly to the lens does the same thing, we get better results with it on the end of our wide angle adapter, it's a bit more sturdy like this.

I have the same crack by the way, and our cameras are treated better than our staff. ;)
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:00 PM   #17
Trustee

Did you guys get warranty replacement for the viewfinder assembly? Also I know the standard mic is bad but I have one that pops and hisses. It is worse than bad. I normally use my senn setup but still I'd like the stock mic to work just in case.

Anyone have these items replaced recently?
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #18
Major Player

Stephen,

I have not requested the new eye piece due to the crack, although we should. Carl? Can we get one sent to us without sending the camera in? I don't have time to send it off even for the "A" upgrade right now. Our deck should get an update as well I understand, but we use both just about every day.

As for the Mic, I have not had that experience. Works as good as expected.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:05 PM   #19
Major Player

Make that one more person with the unfortunate crack....

I didn't even notice it until I brushed against it once and heard a loud pop of it snapping back into place. I feel like if it goes unfixed it could get worse, but right now it doesn't affect anything. Of course for the time being I've been making sure that the viewfinder is all the way retracted when placed in the bag (Petrol PCUB) and that I carry the bag with the other side against my hip. I think using these precautions should keep the problem from happening again in the future ...hopefully.

I didn’t even know you could get a 3rd party viewfinder for this camera. Would the image quality be any better?
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 08:45 AM   #20
New Boot

HD-100 Viewfinder Crack

I live in Canada and I have the issue of the crack too. BC is the closest service spot to me. Any others in Canada sent in the Viewfinder for a replacement?
Scott Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 03:51 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Our 1st HD100 got the same viewfinder crack the 1st time we packed it into a car for a road trip. We had it in the Porta Brace CTC-3 case. We figured out that while carrying the camera in the bag (with 2 dionic 90 batteries, a stick mic, an xlr cable, and a few tapes) that just enough pressure was put on the viewfinder from the sides of the bag pulling up and in that the viewfinder cracked. We now take it off every time we put it in the bag. Kind of a pain in the @ss.

We now have 2 HD250's and the CTC-4 bags. They seem to be able to handle the camera much better.
Nick Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 08:11 PM   #22
Trustee

I also have a crack in my VF where the VF is attached to an L-shaped bracket and where the VF rotates. Im out of warranty and was out in the field so i had to check it out. I found out how thin and flimsy the construction is inside. They made thin prodtruding "tongues" that is used to secure the VF onto the bracket and this is made more weaker when they bored holes into it for the screws.
I think this is a design flaw.
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:53 AM   #23
New Boot

one year since crack in viewfinder

It's been a year since I reported a crack in my viewfinder.
JVC sent me a replacement viewfinder at no cost. Thanks Carl!
So far no problems.
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #24
Trustee

I also had a crack in the bracket, and fixed it. I took a soldering iron (40W) and remelted the plastic back together again. I've also had the VF apart twice to fix the internal metal bracket being bent. its very very easy to tap the VF and bend/ break it. my plan it to add some additional plastic around this area soon.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #25
New Boot

cracked viewfinder

I have a crack in my HD100 viewfinder in the same place. I haven't contacted JVC yet, but I'm interested in what their response to you will be.
John Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #26
Major Player

Just to chime in - I've got the crack and according to Mary at JVC, it is not considered a design flaw and they are not covering it under warranty. She was very nice and said to send the camera in (the whole camera) and they would take a look at it.

I mentioned the experience people were having on this forum, that the crack was pretty common and people seem to be getting it fixed under warranty.

She told me that the crack would be considered damage and I would probably have to pay to get it fixed. If they checked out the camera and it looked like the crack was a construction flaw and not damage then they would handle it under warranty. Of course I'll have to send it in to find out what they say. I would love to have em' just send me a new fiewfinder like they did with Stephen A. George but I understand if that's not an option.
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:02 PM   #27
New Boot

viewfinder warranty

Burk,

I'm pleased that JVC replaced my viewfinder free of charge.
I think the replacement was do more to my vendor (Videotex) going to bat for me than JVC considering it a warranty replacement.
Plus the fact that Carl Hicks at JVC is a good guy.
I hope you get the issue resolved to your satisfaction.
Old March 8th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #28
Major Player

Nick, I'd like to echo your finding here. The CTC-3 case causes cracks in the viewfinder. We have 2 HD-100's and both have those cracks. Also the rotating hinge pops out of it's track at the same time. No one was abusing those items and each time we'd use the bags we'd discover this, even cracking the super glue welds. I think it's the way the bag strap pulls when it's on the shoulder, it must put torque right on that hinge. As you said the HD250 bags do not have this problem.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Kesler View Post
Our 1st HD100 got the same viewfinder crack the 1st time we packed it into a car for a road trip. We had it in the Porta Brace CTC-3 case. We figured out that while carrying the camera in the bag (with 2 dionic 90 batteries, a stick mic, an xlr cable, and a few tapes) that just enough pressure was put on the viewfinder from the sides of the bag pulling up and in that the viewfinder cracked. We now take it off every time we put it in the bag. Kind of a pain in the @ss.

We now have 2 HD250's and the CTC-4 bags. They seem to be able to handle the camera much better.
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 05:58 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beaty View Post
Nick, I'd like to echo your finding here. The CTC-3 case causes cracks in the viewfinder. We have 2 HD-100's and both have those cracks. Also the rotating hinge pops out of it's track at the same time. No one was abusing those items and each time we'd use the bags we'd discover this, even cracking the super glue welds. I think it's the way the bag strap pulls when it's on the shoulder, it must put torque right on that hinge. As you said the HD250 bags do not have this problem.

Dave
I also have an HD100 and a CTC-3 bag and the same happened to my VF, I sent it to service and they replaced for €250. I also have the HD200 and I use it on the same bag, I need to buy a new one but I think it won't be another CTC. Anyway, the 200 series and the new 110 have a more resistant eye piece, there is a reinforcement on the place they used to brake. I made a ball with paper and tape that I put between the VF and the cameras handle.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #30
Regular Crew

One of mine is cracked also, no ideal how it happened. Everything works fine a little grip tape has reenforced it perfectly.
David Allen Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems