720/25P editing for JVC HD100 - whats going on? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 27th, 2006, 10:14 AM   #1
Major Player

720/25P editing for JVC HD100 - whats going on?

So, according to various recent posts about NAB, there is no good news about 720/25P edit solutions either from Avid or Apple. This is extremely bad news for all european users wanting to shoot HDV. Short of buying another editing application, what is going to be done about it? I'd really like for someone in the know to explain why this is such a problem to implement, seeing as the camera has been about for more than a year already...
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #2
Major Player

Maybe it is time to look for other solutions... Premiere Pro and Cineform is such an excellent combo that will provide you what you need immediately.

Luis
Luis Otero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Does final cut as an application, support ANY flavor 25p?

I thought it was hard wired for 50i only.

I'm in agreement though, thats an "up yours" to the folks in PAL land.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Otero
Maybe it is time to look for other solutions... Premiere Pro and Cineform is such an excellent combo that will provide you what you need immediately.

Luis

Or.... you can download this for 30 days, and you'll see you like it or not...

http://www.canopus.com/?lang=EN

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 02:48 AM   #5
Major Player

re:canopus

Fortunately I do have Canopus (given free with my Camera) and it is a nice program. However my primary purpose for this camera was to get more shooting work in from other people and the lack of other apps. seriously limits the commercial use of my camera - if I am doing a job for someone else, its unlikely they will be editing on Canopus. I have applied for several UK jobs recently, and found that, although people like the camera, they have to go down an (inferior) Z1 route as they cannot edit HDV1. Plus the fact that I have free access to a very nice Avid suite which I cannot use at all unless I shoot in DV (or 720/30P which is not great if you're delivering on pal). This is becoming a real issue for Pal users and it would be nice if someone could clarify what is going on...
Old April 28th, 2006, 05:31 AM   #6
Trustee

The solution from Avid is Liquid. It captures, cuts HDV25P and dumps back to tape.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 06:08 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Jefferies
This is becoming a real issue for Pal users and it would be nice if someone could clarify what is going on...
Agree with you on this Paul.... About time Apple made at least an effort to inform folks "who spend a lot of money with them over the years" of what may or may not be expected... :(

Stu...
www.studioscotland.co.uk
Stewart Menelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 11:40 AM   #8
Major Player

I can't understand why 30p works and 25p not...
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 11:44 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I thought the PAL version recorded at HDV 24p anyway, which is compatible?
Simon Antoniou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 02:25 AM   #10
Major Player

24p is fine, but I bought this camera to use 25p as that will give the best results when going into the Pal environment
Old April 29th, 2006, 05:23 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I find the deafening silence on this issue from Avid and others bizarre. I simply can't understand why 720p/25 isn't supported, while 720p/24 and 720p/30 are. Does anyone know why this is happening? I spoke to Avid UK last week and they said they had no idea when (or indeed if) 720p/25 support would be introduced, although they freely admitted that everyone was screaming for it. It seems ridiculous to me. I've played around with Edius a bit, and it seems to work well, but I haven't used it on a 'real' project yet, so difficult to know how it holds up.
Mike Paterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 01:31 AM   #12
Major Player

I think the camera is great, but I keep getting the feeling that I've got a new Ferrari in the garage, and I can't use it properly because nobody's built the roads to drive it on...
Old April 30th, 2006, 07:28 AM   #13
Trustee

Seems like I'm pushing Liquid alot around here and it's for a good reason. It works in 25p end to end and is inexpensive.

Though of checking it out?
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems