Any HD100 shoulder-mount samples? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 27th, 2006, 05:57 PM   #1
Major Player

Any HD100 shoulder-mount samples?

(I think) I've yet to see a clip shot hand held. Probably for good reason... :p

Is the lack of any image stabilization in this camera an "ISSUE" for anyone in this forum that uses this camera for event work? It would be great to get some opinions. Thanks-
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott
I've yet to see a clip shot hand held...Is the lack of any image stabilization in this camera an "ISSUE" for anyone in this forum that uses this camera for event work?
Funny you should mention this because I just did a bunch of handheld work today. Not sure if I have the bandwidth to post anything, though.

But in any case, I've used both shoulder-mount and in-front handheld cameras over the years, and shoulder mount is one of the features that drew me to the HD100. I find it SO much easier to work handheld that way. The key with the HD100 is to adjust the shoulder pad and viewfinder so everything fits nice and snuggly tight with the earpiece pressed against your ear. The combination of your shoulder supporting the weight and your head/ear stabilizing the horizon, with the lens grip hand pointing the camera, makes it a mere extension of your body.

Keeping telephoto shots stable will vary from person to person, simply because some of that comes from body vibration. (Avoid caffeine before shooting!) But I find it MUCH easier than a held-in-front camera, because it's easier for the wrist to twist when there's nothing holding the back of the camera.

My shoot today also involved some extended handheld work, where I held the camera overhead or out away from my body (to look into some machinery). That's when it's good to use the right hand on the lens and left hand supporting the body. (Either by the handle or under the shoulder pad.) Here I found the length of the HD100 is helpful, because it gives more leverage for avoiding twisting.
Old April 27th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #3
New Boot

Here is some handheld footage. It should give you an idea on what to expect.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=64710
Doug Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Harvey
Here is some handheld footage. It should give you an idea on what to expect.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=64710
Awesome footage. I think I'd be afraid to subject my camera to those conditions!
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Half- Hand-held

Have some clips to share on DVXuser:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=53562

"Half-Hand-Held" as it was on a monopod.

Please note the Mac vs. Windows playback issues in the post. These clips were captured in FCP on a Mac.
Miklos Philips is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems