Silky smooth slomo... Obtainable with JVC? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 29th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Silky smooth slomo... Obtainable with JVC?

Hey guys, I have the hd100 and and looking to do smooth slomo, like: http://www.gaffproductions.com/GoldenGate720.mov (which was shot with the HVX200). FYI: There's both TE and Slowmo in this video. Anyway, Can NLE's do this with HDV very well these days? Or do i have to wait till i can do it in camera?
www.showiki.com - Entertainment Biz Wiki
www.filmexposure.org - My Media Company

Last edited by Adam Craig; April 29th, 2006 at 10:23 PM.
Adam Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #2
Wrangler

The HD100 can overcrank 60P in camera in SD mode (480 vertical resolution.) The HD200 and HD250 will be able to do it in 720P.

We've explained this HD100 in-camera overcrank 60P and 50P process here before. I'll search for the threads.

Alternatively, every NLE provides for slow-motion and some interpolate better than others. There are also plug-ins like Twixtor that can "morph" the in-between frames to create silky-smooth slow-mo. There is a steep learning curve though.
Nate mentioned a slow-mo plug-in to me the other day that he said was pretty easy to use. What was it again Nate?
Old April 29th, 2006, 10:35 PM   #3
Wrangler

I remember we said something about Twixtor, and about how difficult it is to use.

That was after I watched a little bit of the "Optical Flow" business in Shake at LAFCPUG get-together. Looks like Shake has slo-mo all wrapped up into a pretty easy deal.
Old April 29th, 2006, 10:41 PM   #4
Wrangler

Yes. Optical Flow.
Old April 29th, 2006, 11:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Ha! I was at the rigged meeting ;) Funny how the same 10 people won over and over.... (I hope you're talking about the Las Vegas meeting) Anyway, that was a great demo of shake, but it would be a pain to have fire up shake everytime you wanted to do good slomo. Perhaps, it's worth the work though.

Man, that (slomo) and the lack of native FCP support, are the only two things the make me lean toward the HVX. bah.
www.showiki.com - Entertainment Biz Wiki
www.filmexposure.org - My Media Company
Adam Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 11:10 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Craig
lack of native FCP support
From the looks of what Apple previewed to us at NAB, native support for 720P24 will be released soon. 720P30 has always been natively supported in FCP5. It is unkown if they will implement 720P25 and 720P60 native support anytime soon.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems