Joining the Ranks of HD100 Owners at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 1st, 2006, 08:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Joining the Ranks of HD100 Owners

I'm so jazzed! After spending almost a month researching HDV cameras, and talking with people at NAB, I finally just placed my order with B&H for my HD100! I also decided to get the Fujinon wide angle lens, the Marshall 7" HD monitor as well as the Panasonic 17" HD studio monitor, and a bunch of ancillary gear too. I can't wait to start trying out this camera!! WOOT!
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:46 PM   #2
Major Player

Sounds like you made some good choices of gear. What are you using for sticks and lighting?

I'm holding out for 60p myself, but hopefully in a few months I'll be making a post somewhat like this.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Nice! Mine shows up tonight!
Can't wait!!!
www.showiki.com - Entertainment Biz Wiki
www.filmexposure.org - My Media Company
Adam Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 10:22 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Stephan,
I really wanted to hold out for the HD250, but I'm shooting a feature this summer and I needed to decide now. HD100 still ROCKS though.

For lighting I'm using an Arri Softbank I lighting kit with a bunch of extra stuff I've accumulated. My sticks and head are Bogen/Manfrotto.. most people I've talked to don't like Bogen stuff, but I really like it for the price.

Funny aside... after I ordered the HD100 kit (with wide lens), it showed up on B&H as out of stock. I guess I got the last one. :)
Old May 2nd, 2006, 03:47 AM   #5
Major Player

amazed at lightness and size

Finally got my hands on the first of three units last night, and even though I'd seen many a jpeg, and watched tonnes of footage, it amazed me how much smaller and lighter than the full size dvcams and vhs cams our church video team had been using. It just amps me more for when I get my own at the end of the year, probably go with the hd200 though, have to see how the $ go : P
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:02 AM   #6
Major Player

I've got a friend in a school district who's looking to put together a cheap live video production setup and I showed the 250 to him and he said it would be perfect. Neither of us particularly like having to use multicore cable to run it back to the video truck, but for the price it can't be beat.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:09 AM   #7
Regular Crew

How much was the Fujinon wide angle lens?
Simon Antoniou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:10 AM   #8
Regular Crew

9000 at B&H
Yoochul Chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:35 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Holy Jebus!!!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:50 AM   #10
Major Player

The B&H Kit for the HD100 with the Fujinon Wide-Angle lens was $14k.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:15 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I'm still looking at 35mm adaptors. Not happy with any of them for the time being. If JVC comes out with that pl mount, I can live with upside down video (hd100), Cineform video capture will flip it back during capture.

planned purchases.

Full version of ConnectHD, since I use Vegas
Lots of color corrected flourescents to build my own light kits. Might buy some used kits if good and affordable.
jvc pl mount when it's available. I would consider the RedRock if they removed the requirement to use the stock lense. The P+S Teknic is simply out of my price range for the forseable future, especially if I want to get these other things.
Since the HD recorder is getting good reviews, purchase that instead of tape deck.
French flags...chrosiel filter mounts....other stuff I can't remember the name of at this time.

I plan of shooting 24 and 30p, so not too jealous of the new 200.:)
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:11 PM   #12
Regular Crew

hi

Does having a PL mount mean you can use 35mm adapters?

Does a mount not come with the adaptor therefore you wouldent need to purchase?
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:13 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I think the one JVC will be selling is for s16mm, but not sure.
Old May 5th, 2006, 01:00 AM   #14
Major Player

Got my HD100 from B&H Today!! HORAY!

It's gonna take me a week or so to adjust to it and I'll post my full thoughts when I get a chance.
Old May 6th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #15
Tourist

Lens mounts- and the confusion

JVC has come out with an adapter that lets you use 16mm lens optics with the 100U but the mount on it is currently 35mmPL or Nikon style- so you could only use the latest super 16 lenses unless you bought additional adapters for your older bayonet or standard mount lenses.

This adapter will only get you better glass- there is no decrease in depth of field even if you put a 35mm lens on it- and 16 or 35mm will not get you wide angle looks. The 1/3 in chip needs a VERY wide angle lens to do that.

You need one of the adapter systems with "projection"- RedRock, Cinemek or PS Technik (there are others out ther too).

The Cinemek is cheap but it flips your image upside down and is prone to problems of dirt/dust on the projection screen and actually seeing the granulation in the screen, since it is stationary.

The RedRock rotates, so no dirt or granulation, but goes in front of your zoom, so the camera system ends up being about 3 ft long- GET A GOOD TRIPOD!

The PS technik mini35 is the best, since the projection screen rotates and they give you a short relay system that both corrects the inversion of the Cinemek and you don't have to use the zoom lens in the system- but it's damned expensive.
Scott Erlinder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems