FAQ it - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 8th, 2006, 09:11 AM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Freed JVC
I think you should. I just looked at two. Sure I can add information but how many came one person do. Can't find them all.

It is easier if there were here. Just my opinion.

And the idea of the wiki is that the information can be edited/altered. But by whom and is it correct. Here there is a moderator.
Hi Ken,

I've been working on the FAQ for ages now, and will post it soon.

I invite everyone to add new questions to our original thread and a dvinfo FAQ will be created.

All questions are welcome.

Tim
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:15 AM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

I have to agree with Ken, but then I usually agree with Ken anyway. Adam Craig has done a terrific job with his FAQ, I like it a lot, but if we're talking about a H/DV Info Net wiki, then it's going to be a H/DV Info Net thing. Meaning we'll host it here, and manage it from here. The primary idea being to keep everything under one roof and have a one-stop destination.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:25 AM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
I have to agree with Ken, but then I usually agree with Ken anyway. Adam Craig has done a terrific job with his FAQ, I like it a lot, but when if we're talking about a H/DV Info Net wiki, it's going to be a H/DV Info Net thing. Meaning we'll host it here, and manage it from here. The primary idea being to keep everything under one roof and have a one-stop destination.
I love Wikipedia and reference it all the time, but I think it can sometimes have inaccurate "opinion" injected as fact.
Every FAQ should do its best to separate opinion from fact. As a community we can be as objective as possible and discuss accuracy and make changes to our own FAQ for the benefit of all.

We have a big responsibility to provide a complete and accurate document now that we seem to be the #1 destination for HD100 information on the internet!
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:49 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
I love Wikipedia and reference it all the time, but I think it can sometimes have inaccurate "opinion" injected as fact.
very true - i had to edit out commercial solicitation from the wiki page today...

http://snipurl.com/HD100Wiki
Ram Ganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #20
JVC Regional Sales Engineer

For example, the wiki discussed here says the CCDs are split down the middle. They are not. I offered a correction which seems to have been deleted.

So how does one address that.

I added to one that if a camera is sent in for SSE work you should specify information such as frame rate, gain, iris settings, and coloration if possible. This is very valid and helpful to the service center but I see it has been deleted.

I fail to see the value of something that can so easily be incorrect.
kfreed@jvc.com
Ken Freed JVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
For example, the wiki discussed here says the CCDs are split down the middle. They are not. I offered a correction which seems to have been deleted.

So how does one address that.

I added to one that if a camera is sent in for SSE work you should specify information such as frame rate, gain, iris settings, and coloration if possible. This is very valid and helpful to the service center but I see it has been deleted.

I fail to see the value of something that can so easily be incorrect.
This is why I think JVC engineers should offer the proper information in white papers that people can reference. Wiki is often not a good source for specifics and is more of a general resource (as you point out). I know JVC personel are participating more with the web (which is good) but for product specific information like you mention, engineering white papers and service guides are the best method of reference.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #22
Obstreperous Rex

Good points, Stephen -- at the same time though, if we did a wiki or something similar here at H/DV Info Net then I would hope that Ken and others from JVC will contribute to it. I guarantee anything that Ken Freed submits will *not* get deleted, as he is "the source" for JVC as long as I've known him.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Now I understand where the confusion came about - that FAQ u edited in "showiki" was replicated from my site - So I rerouted it back to mysite (which didnt have ur edits) - so when u checked back, it seemed to have dissappeared.

I went back to showiki to fish out your edits, and updated my wiki with it. Feel free to edit it - you have the last word in HD100 *smile*
(http://www.ofview.com/wiki/index.php..._what_to_do.3F)

ram

Last edited by Ram Ganesh; May 9th, 2006 at 12:12 AM.
Ram Ganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #24
Regular Crew

To be fair, i wasn't the person that added the FAQ to the wiki.

I got an auto e-mail after it was added and cleaned it up a bit.
www.showiki.com - Entertainment Biz Wiki
www.filmexposure.org - My Media Company
Adam Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:29 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
This is why I think JVC engineers should offer the proper information in white papers that people can reference. .
Yeah I wish jvc would issue a definitive policy on SSE, I have a new 100A that has SSE. I haven't fully tested the camera to see how bad it is and how often it appears but it almost sounds (going by some of the comments here) like a properly calibrated HD100A should not have any SSe whatsoever. The SSE threshold is not clear to me, I'm willing to live with a certain amount of SSE but now it's starting to sound like any SSE should be adjusted out.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce
Yeah I wish jvc would issue a definitive policy on SSE, I have a new 100A that has SSE. I haven't fully tested the camera to see how bad it is and how often it appears but it almost sounds (going by some of the comments here) like a properly calibrated HD100A should not have any SSe whatsoever. The SSE threshold is not clear to me, I'm willing to live with a certain amount of SSE but now it's starting to sound like any SSE should be adjusted out.
My camera is coming tomorrow and I am really scared.

IMHO when everyone is rushing to congratulate JVC on Perfect Experience Policy - they tend to overlook the sloppy QA/Testing that they are doing on SSE and immediate badpixels (yeah i know every camera has badpixels, but none immediately after use)

Seems I have to earmark $60 for shipping charges... seems inevitable....
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Once calibrated (usually from the Factory) it should be fine. SSE will always show under extreme conditions because you have two processors doing the work. It's very easy to see it appear and vanish as the two processors get in sync.

To view SSE: Put the camera on full auto, then take a black piece of paper and put it right in front of the lens while looking at the LCD. As soon as you put the paper (essentially making it very dark to the camera) you should see the SSE appear but leave the paper there and in a few seconds you will see the SSE vanish. This is because it takes a second for the camera to sync the two chips.
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:57 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Holtermann
Once calibrated (usually from the Factory) it should be fine. SSE will always show under extreme conditions because you have two processors doing the work. It's very easy to see it appear and vanish as the two processors get in sync.

To view SSE: Put the camera on full auto, then take a black piece of paper and put it right in front of the lens while looking at the LCD. As soon as you put the paper (essentially making it very dark to the camera) you should see the SSE appear but leave the paper there and in a few seconds you will see the SSE vanish. This is because it takes a second for the camera to sync the two chips.
perhaps mine should be sent in because my SSe lasts for a few minutes when i test it with the lens cap on.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 08:10 PM   #29
JVC Regional Sales Engineer

You can send it to be calibrated. Tell them the frame rate, gain setting, iris conditions and any colorization if any is seen. They should be able to improve it.

If you need an address, email me. kfreed@jvc.com
kfreed@jvc.com
Ken Freed JVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:28 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Do you know if the JVC center in the philippines can calibrate? Mine is a US model but i had it shipped here to the philippines so I'll have to pay out of pocket I know.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems