Few HD100 questions~ at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 5th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #1
Trustee

Few HD100 questions~

I'm set to pickup an unused HD100A in the box from a fellow DVinfo-netter and have been reading posts all day- I've come up with a few questions that I haven't seen addressed elsewhere on this forum- if they have been- excuse the inquiry.

1. There's no mention of any sort of image stabilization- would I be correct in assuming there is none with the HD100's?
1a. Is it reasonably easy to get steady footage without a form of IS or OS using the stock lens? Tips?

2. Using FCP 5.0.3- is it possible to capture the other modes of HDV this camera shoots as I believe 24P (720) isn't supported in v.5.0.3- or are all the modes unsupported?

3. In macro mode- what's the minimum focusing distance? My son wants me to do some insect videography and I'd like to know if this is possible with the standard lens? Will I be able to zoom in in macro mode- will I get some sort of magnification?

4. Is there an adapter to allow the use of canon EOS type lenses? I've seen various scattered posts about a P+S Technic (sp?)- any available for EOS lenses? Links?

5. What is the battery life of the standard JVC included battery? Aftermarket versions~ links?
Old May 5th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #2
Regular Crew

1) No Image Stablization
2) I think only 24p is not supported
3) 3 feet for normal operation
4) There is one available for Nikon
5) 40 minutes -

I have updated your questions in HD100 wiki - http://snipurl.com/HD100Wiki - but since i am new to Wiki, I donno how to add answers without messing up the formatting :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nunez
I'm set to pickup an unused HD100A in the box from a fellow DVinfo-netter and have been reading posts all day- I've come up with a few questions that I haven't seen addressed elsewhere on this forum- if they have been- excuse the inquiry.

1. There's no mention of any sort of image stabilization- would I be correct in assuming there is none with the HD100's?
1a. Is it reasonably easy to get steady footage without a form of IS or OS using the stock lens? Tips?

2. Using FCP 5.0.3- is it possible to capture the other modes of HDV this camera shoots as I believe 24P (720) isn't supported in v.5.0.3- or are all the modes unsupported?

3. In macro mode- what's the minimum focusing distance? My son wants me to do some insect videography and I'd like to know if this is possible with the standard lens? Will I be able to zoom in in macro mode- will I get some sort of magnification?

4. Is there an adapter to allow the use of canon EOS type lenses? I've seen various scattered posts about a P+S Technic (sp?)- any available for EOS lenses? Links?

5. What is the battery life of the standard JVC included battery? Aftermarket versions~ links?

Last edited by Ram Ganesh; May 5th, 2006 at 04:06 PM.
Ram Ganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #3
Trustee

Ram thanks~~~~

OK- knowing this:

Is the HD100A a hand-holdable camera- or is tripod use a must? I'll need to hand-hold for various reasons...

Does anyone at all make a Canon EOS type adapter? (I have some moderately high-end EOS type lenses and would like to use them)

At 3 feet macro-range- can I expect a magnification- can I zoom in at 3 feet to fill the frame with a "bee" if desired?

Can anyone verify if any of the HDV modes is editable on a Mac runing FCP 5.0.3? (I'd like HDV 24p but I'm pretty sure my version of FCP doesn't support it- anyone using FCP to edit the 24P HDV footage?)

One NEW question- how well does it perform in low light-? I know this is subjective- but how well does it compare to say an FX-1 of which I've owned and am somewhat familiar with.

Thank you all for the help- I need as many answers as possible to avoid buying a camera that isn't going to suit my needs.
(and I maybe buying it tonight!!!)
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
I'm just going to address this... In general, the heavier a camera, the steadier the picture, because your little involuntary movements won't affect the camera as much. Best advice is the get the Anton Bauer battery pack upgrade and put a big honking battery on the back of it. It also shifts the center of gravity back toward your shoulder, which also helps.

EDIT: I don't think 3 feet is the minimum macro focus distance, I think that's the minimum regular focus distance. Even an insanely cheap lens should go closer than 3 feet with macro.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #5
Trustee

The more I investigate the more it seems the HD100 isn't the camera for me.

No IS/OS, no native support in FCP (24P HDV) and various other nits are killing the deal for me......it's a bit big anyways....... the FX1 is in the lead for me.

Thanks guys.
Old May 6th, 2006, 01:52 AM   #6
Trustee

Enjoy the FX1
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 05:40 AM   #7
Trustee

I just wish the FX1 had interchangeable lenses and was a 720p.
Old May 6th, 2006, 06:31 AM   #8
Wrangler

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread. I don't have time to correct it all right now because my call time is in an hour, but I'll respond when I get back.

Tim
Old May 6th, 2006, 06:43 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
I just wish the FX1 had interchangeable lenses and was a 720p.
And 24P capture.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 08:12 AM   #10
Trustee

Tim, I'm eager to read the corrections......please post when possible- I want to make the right choice.
Old May 6th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I have a few questions that might help you decide.

1. Why do you want to shoot in 24p?

2. Your signature already has FX1 listed in it yet you don't own one?

3. IS/OS - why? Do you want a consumer camera or a professional camera?

Let me answer my own questions.

1. Weather you can edit or not in 24p with your software package is really up to your software package. I can edit HD100 footage all day and night long on my PC using Cineform (which has announced will have FCP support soon). If you have a MAC, then there are other work arounds for now but FCP has announced they will support the HD100 files in the next release. Aside from workflow there are other reasons to use Cineform when editing, take a look at their multi-generation editing tests showing how much their codec stands up the HD editing, effects, etc.

Further if you really care about true 24p then why would even consider the FX1? It doesn't do Progressive period, and even its 24f hack which degrades your already poor interlaced footage is not so good. So in my opinion if you want 24 then the FX1 is not for you and in that case the 24p editing argument (even removing the solutions I've mentioned) is not a valid reason to discount the HD100.

2. It seems your mind is made up, and your trying to be convinced into buying something. My experience tells me that even if we "show you the light" regarding the HD100 if you bought it you would regret it because you have some type of affection for the FX1. It's hard to forget something your in love with.

3. No professional camera/lens package supports IS/OS. Why do you think that is? You should be able to get a very steady image with the HD100 due to its size, weight, shoulder pos, etc. You should also use a tripod, even with a camera that has IS/OS. When you are shooting a clean HD image, do you really want some electronics or optics trying to guess at what a stable image should look like? I've seen horrible results with IS/OS.

While on the subject of lenses, how will you change the lens on your FX1? Sure many of you will never change a lens anyway, but why not invest in something that can grow with you?

Don't buy a camera because of buzz words, specs, numbers, etc. Like I pointed out earlier about 24f on the FX1 - if you are going to use these types of things to decide on a camera then make sure you understand how they are actually implemented on the camera. Just because Sony puts the 24 number on the box/camera, doesn't mean it really is 24. In fact most reviews of the FX1/Z1 talk about how BAD their 24 support is.
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 12:44 PM   #12
Trustee

Response:

I prefer 24p because of the look, as everyone else seems to like and the clean translation over to SD footage for standard DVD's. It's been noted all over various forums that source footage from 24P looks great when converted for DVD use.

My sig shows the FX1 because I did have one and sold it (to Meryem on this forum) and have forgotten to update it.

Just because "pro" ENG type cameras don't feature OS/IS doesn't mean it's not truly a great feature. It would have been a nice feature that could have been disabled by a switch as on many various other cameras. At the HD100's price point- many amatuers (like myself) are considering it and would benefit from a form of image stabilization.

As for FCP support- presently there's none and that's a BIG issue for me right now. I'm a Mac user and have spent allot of personal time learning FCP (since V1) and don't want to switch to a PC for an editing solution. What is NOT clear is wether or not FCP supports it's other non-24P hdv shooting modes- anyone know for sure?

As for my mind being made up- not a chance! My main reasons for considering the HD100 are:
1. Since I've owned an FX1 previously I'd like to try something new.

2. FCP slows quite a bit with the 1080i footage as compared to the speed I get with 720p footage from the HD10u (I've owned that as well)....I like progressive and would rather have a progressive HDV camera if at all possible.

3. Interchangeable lenses are a plus. I was hoping someone would have some sort of adapter for Canon EOS type lenses (like EF adapter for XL series) as I have several lenses from my Canon EOS Mark II N camera. This would be a real plus for me as I'd like to do a little macro videography as well as extreme telephoto for my occasional "hawk" videos. The FX1 can't be outfitted with telephoto type lenses and is limited to CU filters for macro use.

4. The HD100 just looks killer. That "pro" look should help it maintain some degree of resale value when reselling becomes a consideration.

Anyway I don't want to go on about my personal choices or reasons- but I did want to clarify my purchase intent.
I maybe meeting someone tonight about a new unit that has not been opened or used- my biggest gripes are the size of the HD100 and the lack of FCP support......this is why I scour these forums for hours reading everything I can.

Thank you to all whom helped and responded.
(I would like an answer to the current FCP5 support of the HD100's other HDV modes- can they be edited presently?)
Old May 6th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #13
Trustee

If you're worried about size, I would'nt buy the HD100.
The HVX200 sounds more like the features you'll perfer.

Having said that, I own the HD100 and would not trade it for any other sub $10K camera.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 06:43 PM   #14
Trustee

Thanks everyone, I'll have to make do with another FX-1. It's not perfect in it's specs for my wants- but it seems to be the best choice for me personally. I'll likely buy a new Intel Mac tomorrow at B&H as well as I'll need some serious power, to handle the 1080i the FX1 outputs.

I remember awhile back converting some of the FX1's video to 720p with MpegStreamclip and was really impressed.....does anyone know of a good way to convert the 1080i to 720p?

I'll be at B&H early tomorrow for the FX1 and Mac.....thanks for all the replies- all very much appreciated.
Old May 6th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Steve i was in your position 10 years ago, when i had to choose between high end prosumer, or full size pro at 4x the price. I chose pro and since then i cannot even touch pro-sumer stuff.
When you go pro,the more you spend the less you get. I never miss auto focus, stabilizers or any feature that does't give me better PQ and control over it. But for occasional shooters or secondary role prosumer is fine.
Good luck with your decision and happy (profitable) shooting.
My HD100 is back on classifieds.
Chris Basmas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems