GY-HD100 not shoot DV-60i in 16:9 ?! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 7th, 2006, 09:12 AM   #1
Major Player

GY-HD100 not shoot DV-60i in 16:9 ?!

Hi
I`ve ordered my HD100AU from B&H, but today got surprised to know from an Chuck Gloman`s on line article (Digital Cinematography / Product Review: JVC HD100U Camcorder) that GY-HD100 does`t shoot DV-60i in 16:9.
And I ask why this limitation from this so good camera.
Best
Ron
Ron German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 10:10 AM   #2
Major Player

It can shoot 16:9 at DV-60i, but according to the manual on Page 62:

"The resolution in the vertical direction drops compared to 4:3 video."

This implies that the DV 4:3 image is cropped and then scaled for some reason. I haven't tested the difference myself to see for sure.

But regardless, your best bet would be to shoot HDV-SD60p instead. You'll get 16:9 at full resolution, and the 60 progressive frames cross-convert to DV-60i beautifully. (Plus, you have the option of pulling slow motion from that footage without interlace flicker.)
Old May 7th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #3
2nd Unit TV

We don't shoot in this format but just for grins this morning I dialed in 60/30 frame rate, executed dv-60i and set the aspect to 16:9. I shot some footage and playing it back I'm seeing 16:9 60i so either our cameras are special or 60i at 16:9 is supported. Someone else that gets into this SD mode might want to correctively comment if I'm wrong but...
Jonathan Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Thank you Earl and Jonathan
Earl, you mean cross-convert to DV-60i via software (in my case with Vegas 5.0)?
Best regards
Ron
Old May 7th, 2006, 03:22 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ames
We don't shoot in this format but just for grins this morning I dialed in 60/30 frame rate, executed dv-60i and set the aspect to 16:9. I shot some footage and playing it back I'm seeing 16:9 60i so either our cameras are special or 60i at 16:9 is supported. Someone else that gets into this SD mode might want to correctively comment if I'm wrong but...
16x9 in SD is supported, that article is simply wrong. I tried to find a way of contacting the writer to no avail... It bugs me when someone publishes (and likely collect money for) an article that's based on a manual, perhaps JVC web description and maybe a brief encounter with the camera. Completely unprofessional. Prime example of how rumors get born!
Old May 7th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron German
Earl, you mean cross-convert to DV-60i via software (in my case with Vegas 5.0)?
Yes, that's correct.
Old May 7th, 2006, 05:42 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Thurston
But regardless, your best bet would be to shoot HDV-SD60p instead. You'll get 16:9 at full resolution, and the 60 progressive frames cross-convert to DV-60i beautifully. (Plus, you have the option of pulling slow motion from that footage without interlace flicker.)
Does anyone shoot in 60pSD on a regular basis? Is there a good workflow for using it? I have to be honest that I haven't seen a whole lot of samples where people have utilized it as an over-cranked slow motion option.
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #8
Major Player

Dear Jiri
Are you shure the camera is supports capable of 16x9 in SD (DV) in 60i? Thank you
Ron
Old May 7th, 2006, 08:37 PM   #9
Regular Crew

You may also want to consider shooting in HD 30p and then outputing your standard definition 60i from the Editor for best image results.
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 08:53 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron German
Dear Jiri
Are you shure the camera is supports capable of 16x9 in SD (DV) in 60i? Thank you
Ron
Ron, that's affirmative! I have shot two projects that way already. To be 100% sure, I actually took the camera out just now and checked for you. YES, IT WILL SHOOT 16x9 60i IN SD :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems