Hd100 - Dvx100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 19th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #1
Major Player

Hd100 - Dvx100

Is there a thread anywhere comparing these two cameras in SD mode 24p?
(Pany SD only I know). I'm thinking the HD100 needs more out of box tweaking? Could they work together? Thanks very much
Michael Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 09:06 PM   #2
Major Player

i don't recall those exact cameras being compared directly, but do check this out:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ghlight=HVX200

I can tell you that I recently got the HD100 and LOVE the SD quality (as well as HD, but I haven't worked with that too much yet). I shot a wedding last weekend that look great (using Paulo's TrueColorV2 with a little variations in the gamma/black stretch area).

I can also say that I have actually done some A/B testing between the HD100 and the DVX100 (non A). I found that the DVX set to "Cinegamma" is exactly like the HD100 set to standard gamma, knee 80%, black level normal, black stretch off, with Paulo's color matrix. But then things change favorably for the HD100 when you start messing with black stretch, adding cinemagamma, and so on.

I have never used the DVX100 extensively, so I don't know it too well (or the A model), but I do know it is a commendable camera for its color and gamma rendering -especially out-of-the-box. But the bottom line is the HD100 is so customizable, there's no doubt you could get them to match perfectly with the right calibration. And if you're worried you won't be able to get the right look right away, just go to Paulo's page, dial in the settings, and you'll be set -hopefully confident enough to do your own experimenting from there. http://www.paolociccone.com/Home.html

If nothing else, his color matrix is a must.
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 04:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I've got both and recently did an event videography gig using both cameras. The HD100 was switched to SD DV mode. They match up nicely, but the HD100 has a much sharper picture- I'm assuming because of the lens.
Steven D. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 08:26 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Best
Is there a thread anywhere comparing these two cameras in SD mode 24p?
(Pany SD only I know). I'm thinking the HD100 needs more out of box tweaking? Could they work together? Thanks very much
Michael,

I scoped both cameras last October in SD mode and created a few "DVX Match" settings depending on which gamma curve the DVX is using.
This pdf has the three DVX Match settings.
Here's the thread with more information.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=52256
Old May 21st, 2006, 11:04 AM   #5
Major Player

Much thanks for your time guys..
Michael Best is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems