The Dreaded Dead Pixel - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 11:48 PM   #46
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mitchell View Post
(2) I don't think the pixel compensation program was ever designed to be run so regularly - you've probably filled up the memory. You are only EVER supposed to run the program when you discover a dead pixel (and originally they made you send it in to JVC to do it).

The problem you're relating (3) seems different to standard dead pixels - I'd be returning the camera for a replacement as soon as you can, or if that is not possible at least sending it in to JVC for evaluation. Hope all works out for you.
John - thanks for your thoughts on my posting...I agree with your perspective that I shouldn't have to run the pixel compensation program on a regular basis - and in fact, I only began doing so after consultation with JVC about my repeated, and regularly bad pixels that continued to rapidly develop after every flight. (And now, on nearly every shoot regardless of whether a flight is involved or not).

And yes, the camera is currently with JVC, again, for evaluation. I'll let you know what Doug Mullin's team at JVC says is the cause, and what, if any solution they suggest.

-Skye
Skye Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #47
Tourist

Bad Pixel Response by JVC

Hey John - just wanted to let you know that I heard back from the JVC techs today regarding the (latest) evaluation on my repeated bad pixels on my HD100:

The JC tech said the entire Optic Block needs to be replaced on the camera, which they are doing. I just hope I don't have the same problem in the remaining months on my warranty...

-Skye
Skye Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:02 AM   #48
Major Player

As posted in another thread, we had a dead pixel (or several) during an elaborate short film shoot in March. The camera was rental. I've heard of pixels popping in all HD cameras but mostly in JVC. We returned the camera. The rental firm in Geneva was not supportive, worse, they didn't check the camera before.
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #49
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye Fitzgerald View Post
Hey John - just wanted to let you know that I heard back from the JVC techs today regarding the (latest) evaluation on my repeated bad pixels on my HD100:

The JC tech said the entire Optic Block needs to be replaced on the camera, which they are doing. I just hope I don't have the same problem in the remaining months on my warranty...

-Skye
Skye - good news. I'm not seeing excessive reports of dead pixels (they are a fact of life on all CCD cameras), and your situation definitely sounded unusual. Fingers crossed this solves the problem for you.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 07:34 AM   #50
Regular Crew

Can pixel compen. be run "too often"?

I'm thinking we should run pixel comp. immediately before every shoot, just to make certain we are 'up to the second' ensuring that a new 'dead pixel' has not occurred. Is there any aspect of the pixel compensation processing that could negatively affect the performance of the camera if done too often? Or is this as benign as white-balancing, with no danger to the camera's performance no matter how often it is done?
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:56 AM   #51
Major Player

I've just had my second dead pixel over the past couple of months...I guess that's not that frequent, but it's still a pain - just one dead pixel (white) is very easy to miss especially when filming in daylight. Noticed when filming a dark theatre the other night.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 01:27 PM   #52
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Shuster View Post
I'm thinking we should run pixel comp. immediately before every shoot, just to make certain we are 'up to the second' ensuring that a new 'dead pixel' has not occurred. Is there any aspect of the pixel compensation processing that could negatively affect the performance of the camera if done too often? Or is this as benign as white-balancing, with no danger to the camera's performance no matter how often it is done?
Yes, there is. If you do the sequence too many times, the memor fills up and will no longer allow you to perform the function.

Don't know why this is, but bottom line is - only do it when you have to.

John
evilgeniusentertainment.com
John Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems