Sony HDV deck? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 26th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony HDV deck?

I shot a tape in HDV-SD 60P, and my client says it does not play on his Sony deck. Does anyone have advise on this?

Thank you.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:16 AM   #2
New Boot

As far as I know from my research. (I just got my camera the other day). I know that JVC uses a proprietory codec for HDV and is not compatible with other flavors of HDV. Perhaps this applies to a JVC created HDV-SD 60P tape also.
Gil Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Whitney
As far as I know from my research. (I just got my camera the other day). I know that JVC uses a proprietory codec for HDV and is not compatible with other flavors of HDV. Perhaps this applies to a JVC created HDV-SD 60P tape also.
Thanks Gil. Sony does claim to be able to play it. The deck keeps resetting itself to 1080i. Is there no way to be able to play in this deck, when shot with a JVC HD100, using HDV-SD 60P?

Thanks.
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #4
Major Player

No. Not possible.

JVC uses HDV (1) and Sony uses HDV (2). Search for this on the forum and you will find more info. I think that Steve Mullen had some good posts on this.

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Weber
No. Not possible.

JVC uses HDV (1) and Sony uses HDV (2). Search for this on the forum and you will find more info. I think that Steve Mullen had some good posts on this.

Dan Weber
Will it play in a regualar DV deck?

Thanks.
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #6
Major Player

Carl,

No it won't. The HDV SD60p is kind of a unique format. I think that JVC has implemented this on their current HDV equipment (HD100, BR50 deck).

Your client is going to have to get his hands on either one of the above units.

Hopefully one day, all this will be settled and we can just put an HDV tape into any HDV deck, camera, etc and they will just play.

That day is not here yet.

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Weber
Carl,

No it won't. The HDV SD60p is kind of a unique format. I think that JVC has implemented this on their current HDV equipment (HD100, BR50 deck).

Your client is going to have to get his hands on either one of the above units.

Hopefully one day, all this will be settled and we can just put an HDV tape into any HDV deck, camera, etc and they will just play.

That day is not here yet.

Dan Weber
Thanks for your help Dan. If I shot it in 30P, would it then be able to play?

Carl
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #8
New Boot

This makes for a good argument for getting the DR-HD100-80 and making the original tape an archive. Let the client download to his media drives and be done with it. That’s the direction I'm heading towards.

Last edited by Gil Whitney; May 26th, 2006 at 02:45 PM.
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
This makes for a good argument for getting the DR-HD100-80 and making the original tape an archive. Let the client download to his media drives and be done with it. That’s the direction I heading towards.
My client is in Florida and I'm in NY. I dout they will spring for one of these.
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #10
Wrangler

And let this be a lesson to you all!

Test! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Martin
My client is in Florida and I'm in NY. I dout they will spring for one of these.
That's what rentals are for. Or have them send it back so you can dub it to something they can use.
Old May 26th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #11
Inner Circle

make a DVD of it
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #12
New Boot

Quote:
I wish my clients would pay for mine too (:, but it seems like a must have just to make JVC's HDV more accessible. There might come a time when producers will come into town with a pelican full of p2 cards or firestore drives and just hand you the drive to shoot with. If I had a good out of state client, I could see shipping them a well packed HD or p2 card, if that’s what it would take to serve them.
Old May 27th, 2006, 06:22 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
I wish my clients would pay for mine too (:, but it seems like a must have just to make JVC's HDV more accessible. There might come a time when producers will come into town with a pelican full of p2 cards or firestore drives and just hand you the drive to shoot with. If I had a good out of state client, I could see shipping them a well packed HD or p2 card, if that’s what it would take to serve them.
It is pretty costly buying all of these add ons. The client happens to be a production house. I believe they should have the right equipment to handle all formats. They knew I had a JVC HD, and did not ask me if it would playback on their Sony Deck. Also shipping an expensive item and it gets lost, then what? It is a sensative item that can get damaged in shipping and the likleyhood of tape being damaged is remote. I understand serving the client, but it dose not mean that I should own every piece of equipment known to mankind.
Old May 27th, 2006, 06:37 AM   #14
Wrangler

This old thread might be of interest....

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=56205
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 10:58 AM   #15
New Boot

Quote:
It is pretty costly buying all of these add ons. The client happens to be a production house. I believe they should have the right equipment to handle all formats. They knew I had a JVC HD, and did not ask me if it would playback on their Sony Deck. Also shipping an expensive item and it gets lost, then what? It is a sensative item that can get damaged in shipping and the likleyhood of tape being damaged is remote. I understand serving the client, but it dose not mean that I should own every piece of equipment known to mankind.
No problem. I'm just thinking of solutions to get around the fact that the JVC HDV deck is not a common item in most production houses. I’m getting the DR-HD setup in a few weeks and my local clients are looking forward to the prospect of no more digitizing. The rate for the camera package goes up a bit, of course. If the production house won’t down convert the tape themselves (or pay to have it done - I've had that happen to me) then you might be stuck with having to do it yourself just to keep them happy. Hope it all works out for you.

Last edited by Gil Whitney; May 27th, 2006 at 09:08 PM.
Gil Whitney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems