Trouble with my GYHD-100UA - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 30th, 2006, 02:11 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Not yet Carl - but I am about to send all of them in for the "A" version upgrade and will be including detailed notes about this and SSE issues I've been having with all 3 as well. Thanks.
Dave Rochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rochelle
I have 3 HD-100s and have experienced dropouts with almost every tape I have shot with all three. Sometimes 1 or 2 and sometimes more than 20 per tape. I have only ever used JVCs pro HDV tapestock and clean the heads religiously... then again, have had the same thing with my DV500 (using exclusively Panasonic pro tapestock) for 6 years.

Definitely more noticeable than back in my analog Betacam/Sony metal tape days... thought maybe more frequent hits might be due in part to the compression schemes used in DV & HDV. Never been happy about it but figured it came with the territory & have gotten used to getting multiples takes of anything crucial.
Andrew Young used the same tape I use when filming madagascar if I remember right he told me that he only had a few dropouts out of 200 hours of footage I am sure he will correct me if I am wrong but I think thats what he said. In my case its not just dropouts I also get disruption in the picture some times in the middle of the scene, lines and multiple blocks of information missing on the screen. I am getting ready to send my camera back their must be a problem. Today I ran the tape forward to the end, then rewound it. In 12 minutes of footage I had picture disruption 3 times. I am sending this tape in with my camera. Thats a far cry from the kind of results that I have heard about from other people on this forum like Jonathan, Andrew Young ect... I love this camera and I just want it to work right. I shoot nature videos and I cant afford to come back from a 15-20 mile trip to find out a good percentage of my shots are messed up.
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:29 PM   #18
Major Player

Well I just sent my GYHD-100UA to JVC per Carl Hicks, one of the people at the JVC service center said that they think my problem might be a sensor. I will keep everyone updated as to the progress of my camera.
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:27 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hicks
Hi Dave,

This is not normal. Have you had the cameras checked out by a JVC Factory service facility? (Not a dealer service shop)
Is the warranty for this camera just one year? Man, this camera seems to be plagued by sooooooo many issues. Cracking viewfinders, battery promos that don't materialize, split screen, dropouts, synch issues, software problems, superfluous PCM audio. How will our cameras perform when they're over a year old? will they even turn on? Will they start melting?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:07 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce
Is the warranty for this camera just one year? Man, this camera seems to be plagued by sooooooo many issues. Cracking viewfinders, battery promos that don't materialize, split screen, dropouts, synch issues, software problems, superfluous PCM audio. How will our cameras perform when they're over a year old? will they even turn on? Will they start melting?
I really love this camera but I must admit these are things I have thought about too. The camera's I have owned in the past have been virtualy problem free. The step to go with JVC, who I have never bought from in the past was because of forums like this and JVC's commitment to customer service which so far seems to be above average.The promo problems they have had, IDX ect.. have for the most part been second party and the internal problem sse ect.. have been addressed and delt with, so with that said I just hope I did not buy a camera that will be plaged with problems and hopefuly if it dose have problems JVC will find fixe's and offer them to their customers at no charge! I trusted them against all odds with my money I waited almost a year to make this decision and so far I think JVC has done everything they have claimed they wanted to due to build a good customer base and have a #1 Camera. Now lets just hope they dont drop the ball and continue to put their customers first and what I mean by that is they continue to do what they say. When your camera dose have a problem it get's fixed when it gose in. As they continue to improve this camera they offer the upgrades at no charge to their customers. I trusted them in the purchase of new technology as have many and as long as their attitude stays the same I will not think my trust has been misplaced and will continue to purchase products from them in the future. JVC has the opportunity to due what no other company in their competition has done in the past stay complete'ly loyal to their customers and continue to listen to their wants and needs, continue to do this JVC and your on the path to greatness. Start to drift away and your customers will leave you as quick as they came.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 10:04 AM   #21
Major Player

Update on status of my HD-100

Friday June 2 got a call from JVC saying that they did a test on the Sony tape I sent them with my camera that showed the drop out on it and the lines of disruption in picture, they said that the tape was not a good tape. My response was really, than why am I experiancing the problem on every tape I have used which have been purchased from several different sources. I told the JVC rep I was talking to that I would send them several more tapes purhcased by different companies all with the same problem he said no thats OK, then he said we will try to video some pictures on a JVC tape, I said no I don't think it would be wise to do that as I have only had sony tape in my camera and putting a diferent tape brand in it would probably not be a good Idea, I said I would send him a new Sony tape if he liked and he could use it, he said no thats ok but is it ok if we tape over the footage on the tape we already have, I said sure but puzzeled of course as to why they would want to tape over a tape they said was defective? The conversation ended with we will redue the A version update and shoot some more video with the camera to see if we can find out what the problem is. I sure hope they don't send me back a camera with the same problems it had when I sent it in. I will keep every one updated as things progress lets hope JVC gets this problem fixed or gives me a new camera.

Last edited by Gary Williams; June 3rd, 2006 at 07:23 PM.
Gary Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems