HD SDI Output? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 7th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD SDI Output?

How do i get from my camera to a HD SDI out put? Does anyone make an adaptor thingamajig?
And is 720p30 actually 720p29.97?

Need to know so i can sort a satellite feed. Talk about difficult. Only take HD SDI in or standard def SDI in.....

Need a canon..... hate to say it...

thanks in advance for any replies

craig`
Craig Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #2
2nd Unit TV

We use the Aja A10s and they've proven excellent, albeit individually a bit expensive. http://www.aja.com/html/products_converters_HD10A.html
Jonathan Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #3
Major Player

All of the "round" frame rates in the camera are actually their NTSC-ized counterparts behind the scenes. 30p is 29.97, the 60p component outs will be 59.94, 24p is 23.98, etc.

This is for that Japanese TV gig you were talking about a while back, right? Did you ever talk with your client to ask them what HD standard they wanted from you?
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 02:22 AM   #4
Regular Crew

yeah it's the same job..... spoke to them and they want 720p30 and the satellite people need a hd sdi input..... thats the problem. And they dont wanna spend big bucks..... another problem.

craig
Old June 8th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #5
Contributor

Craig - Digistor in Sydney stock the new AJA but it's pricey.

http://www.digistor.com.au/products....bcat=47&page=1

Don't know if you could hire one anywhere or find a post house with one. I'm waiting for the Multibridge HD Pro to arrive in Australia, but until it does I can't help you.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #6
Wrangler

I'll cosign the above. The easiest way, if you can use you camera as a deck is the AJA HD10A.
Old June 8th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Donaldson
the satellite people need a hd sdi input..... thats the problem. And they dont wanna spend big bucks..... another problem.
Yeah, while you'd think it would be their job to be able to take any format you throw at them, from their point of view it's your responsibility to give them video in industry-standard HD-SDI. Sucks, but it works for them since most of their clients are able to provide it.

I'm just going to go down the list of everything you're going to need to know so you don't have any suprises...

The HD-SDI patch will be on a bay in the outside of the truck. What I would do is bring the camera inside the truck near a power plug (for your SDI converter) and run the coax out the door to the bay. You'll want to bring an 8-10 metre coax for yourself if the truck doesn't have any cable on board (doubtful, but wouldn't suprise me). Also get three really short, maybe 1 metre coaxes and three BNC->RCA barrels to hook into your component outs.
Old June 8th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #8
Regular Crew

thanks for the replies fellas. very helpful. have pointed me in the right direction. let u know how i go.
unbelievably the people who are broadcasting for us have offered to buy the necessary equipment as they are getting more and more call for this sort of work.....
They are a business named
teleport.com.au
suits me...
Old June 8th, 2006, 05:31 PM   #9
2nd Unit TV

Can't beat that. Sounds like a real company if they're buying your stuff. That doesn't usually happen until you have a couple of successful shows under your belt and producers want you badly enough to buy "you-specific" equipment. Good luck.
Old June 8th, 2006, 09:07 PM   #10
Contributor

Craig - just so you know the one I pointed you to is the AJA-HD10AVA. It differs from the older HD10A in that it incorporates audio into the HD-SDI stream via a breakout cable. I believe that the 10A will be discontinued as the newer model is cheaper with more features.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #11
2nd Unit TV

http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp...&search=0&off=

John's right.
Old June 8th, 2006, 11:25 PM   #12
Major Player

Oooh, I completely forgot audio. The satellite guys are gonna want either analog or AES audio over XLR, and they might take AES over coax too. Very, very few people in the broadcast world actually work with audio embedded in the SDI stream, sadly. It is possible that the truck might have a sound board, however, in which case you can use a couple RCA-> 1/4" adaptors to plug straight in.

Isn't this fun?!
Old June 8th, 2006, 11:42 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Audio - heh, wassdat ?
Might also ask them what they need in that regard - for rca's I normally have to put a DI box in-line > xlr's out. They might have 1/4" but then again ... until you ask you won't know.
You're coming out of the cam unbalanced.
Rob McCardle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems