redrock m2/hd100 or hd200/HZ-CA13U ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 15th, 2006, 07:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

redrock m2/hd100 or hd200/HZ-CA13U ?

I was originally thinking of the hd100 with redrock m2 indiebundle for nikon prime still lenses. Is the hd200 and HZ-CA13U worth waiting till October to see how the tests look. Anybody have the heads up? Plus,.....what's the cost comparison gonna be. Still not sure what the HZ-CA13U is gonna cost? Will the hd200 and HZ-CA13U allow still lenses? like SLR nikons?

Last edited by Ian Mora; June 15th, 2006 at 07:46 PM. Reason: misinformed
Ian Mora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Mora
I was originally thinking of the hd100 with redrock m2 indiebundle for nikon prime still lenses. Is the hd200 and HZ-CA13U worth waiting till October to see how the tests look. Anybody have the heads up? Plus,.....what's the cost comparison gonna be. Still not sure what the HZ-CA13U is gonna cost? Will the hd200 and HZ-CA13U allow still lenses? like SLR nikons?
This is a good question and coincidentally I will have the HZ-CA13U in my hot little hands on Monday night at the Chicago ProHD user group meeting along with some lens' to try out.

If anyone has any questions specifically, post them here and I'll take the thread to the meeting. BTW the HZ-CA13U fits on the HD-100 as well.

S.Noe
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Regarding the HZ-CA13U:

Price.
Projection screen. (Or no projection screen?)
Any limitations re: vignetting, useable stops, grain, etc?
Light loss.
Matthew Wauhkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 01:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Stephen, would love to hear about the the HZ-CA13U. I have access to a bunch of 16mm primes and would love to hear some reports on how this stuff actually looks.

Thanks a bunch -
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #5
Major Player

Well the HZ-CA13U will work for the HD100 as well since all these cameras have the same lensemount. And the new HD110/111 apparantly have a flip switch as well so that trouble seem to dissapear to. So you aren't required to get a HD200.

What I love to see is some sample shots. I am weighting more and more on getting a JVC as my next cam since it might be a step towards a bigger camera like the Red.
Old June 18th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The HZ-CA13U

Hi Stephen,

Hope you're doing well. Quite a score, getting a HZ-CA13U at your meeting. I am full of questions. Here's a few:

Of paramount interest is if the adaptor is somehow optically maintaining Super 16 FOV and DOP. Here's a few ways to help us find out:

1) Is there a ground glass or any other re-imaging device inside. I'm told no, but just to be sure, attach a lens and look through the end that attaches to the camera. Do you see a focused image?

2) With a prime on the HZ-CA13U, measure the width of the frame at 10 feet and report your finding along with the focal length of the prime. I'll compare that to the same focal length on S16.

3) Do a depth of field test by framing up a subject with lots of depth using the HZ-CA13U. Duplicate the framing and f-stop with the stock Fujinon and see if DOP is the same or more than the HZ-CA13U. Also note what focal length you needed to duplicate the framing of the S16 prime.

And yes, pricing and light loss and a confirmation of the image flop would all be helpful. Thanks much for shedding whatever light you can on this piece of gear.

Also (and forgive me for going off topic with this), you’re an Avid Liquid fan, right? Have you used it successfully to edit HDV 720p24? Any hitches? Is it native or transcoded? Would you recommend it to others? Thanks!
Andrew Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 09:10 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
This is a good question and coincidentally I will have the HZ-CA13U in my hot little hands on Monday night at the Chicago ProHD user group meeting along with some lens' to try out.

If anyone has any questions specifically, post them here and I'll take the thread to the meeting. BTW the HZ-CA13U fits on the HD-100 as well.

S.Noe

Stephen,

Where and when is that meeting? Is it open to visitors who happen to be ProHD users too?

Stephen Knapp
Stephen Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 12:49 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Knapp
Stephen,

Where and when is that meeting? Is it open to visitors who happen to be ProHD users too?

Stephen Knapp
Monday, June 19, 2006 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM

SMS Productions, Inc.
1229 N. North Branch – S. 218
Chicago, IL 60622

Feel free to join in. SMS is on Goose Island right off of Division (pretty close to the Kennedy). Parking is on the street and is free.

Hope you can make it.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 10:03 AM   #9
Major Player

It's Tuesday...any news?
Matthew Wauhkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 04:16 PM   #10
Major Player

It's Wednesday now. Strange that no one has mentioned anything...even if the HZ-CA13U was a no-show.

I was really interested in hearing about the HZ-CA13U too.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 07:21 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Maybe,...

Maybe Stephen is not back yet.
Ian Mora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Any update on this?
Tim Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:53 AM   #13
Major Player

[QUOTE=Fredrik-Larsson] And the new HD110/111 apparantly have a flip switch as well so that trouble seem to dissapear to. QUOTE]

Is this correct? I looked at the upgrades and do not remeber this being a new feature. I know the hd200/250 will have that feature but I had no idea the hd110 would have it too. I was going to buy a new jvc today but if this hd110 really has the flip switch, I am going to hold out.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Nelson
I was going to buy a new jvc today but if this hd110 really has the flip switch, I am going to hold out.
Hmm.. I was probably wrong. It has something called mirror mode. I looked through the manual and I can't find any indication on it. But then again they might have some weird name for that feature.
Old June 27th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #15
New Boot

I have to add to the list of those eagerly interested in this adapter -- ?
Robert Schaller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems