HD Converted to SD or SD Native? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 28th, 2006, 06:35 AM   #16
Major Player

What's the advantage to converting to AIC for your edit? I've been editing in HDV without a lot of problems.

Thanks.
Bill Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 07:26 AM   #17
Regular Crew

We've been shooting in 24p and I didn't want to fool around with Lumiere or that other program. So I have capture preset for HDV - convert to AIC. This captures the video and converts it to AIC, but the speed is off. Then I batch conform to 23.98 in Cinema Tools and I've got 24p in the FCP timeline. It's quick and easy. Only downside is that it screws up the audio, but we record double system so who cares.

On a performance note, AIC is a lot easier on your computer to render and mix multiple tracks/effects.
Tim Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 08:01 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Gray
We've been shooting in 24p and I didn't want to fool around with Lumiere or that other program. So I have capture preset for HDV - convert to AIC. This captures the video and converts it to AIC, but the speed is off. Then I batch conform to 23.98 in Cinema Tools and I've got 24p in the FCP timeline. It's quick and easy. Only downside is that it screws up the audio, but we record double system so who cares.

On a performance note, AIC is a lot easier on your computer to render and mix multiple tracks/effects.

So far, I've only shot 30P and I don't do a lot of effects or too many tracks. I mostly shoot interviews and edit photo montages in Motion. I'm not sure converting to AIC would help me. My most render-intensive process is my Motion projects and AIC wouldn't affect that, no?
Bill Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Sounds like its working for you. I don't know how different codecs affect performance in Motion.

To be honest, I haven't really even shot much 30p. Its all been 24p and SD.
Tim Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 03:27 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Barnes
Since my original post on the quality of downrezzed HDV vs. SD, I came across a video clip from the JVC HD100 site that does a side by side comparison. The video is quite convincing although to Stephan's point, the clip doesn't have any panning in it.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/v...&feature_id=19

That's an interesting comparison. Anyone know what software was used? The results are dramatic. HDV looks tremendous downconverted--at least on this particular comparison.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #21
Regular Crew

jay and chris, here's the skinny. i've been in this conversation before and this is what i know because i've done it. what follows will only apply to fcp5 users.
1. shoot and edit in hdv 720 30p. (fcp5 edits hdv 720 30p natively)
2. when project is finished on timeline, send the whole thing thru compressor (10 bit uncompressed)
3. when you go to dvd studio pro, import the uncompressed project into dvdsp which is now in sd, but very high quality sd.
4. proceed normally in dvdsp as you would on any sd project.

I tried this but I ge this messege "Unable to connect to background process"
Old December 1st, 2006, 08:19 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Jolly
jay and chris, here's the skinny. i've been in this conversation before and this is what i know because i've done it. what follows will only apply to fcp5 users.
1. shoot and edit in hdv 720 30p. (fcp5 edits hdv 720 30p natively)
2. when project is finished on timeline, send the whole thing thru compressor (10 bit uncompressed)
3. when you go to dvd studio pro, import the uncompressed project into dvdsp which is now in sd, but very high quality sd.
4. proceed normally in dvdsp as you would on any sd project.

you will love the picture. when downconverted properly, it's way better than shooting in sd.
Thanks Maurice.
The movie i created doing this is 4.3 aspect. Are you saying that all I need to do is import the clip into a SD anamorphic sequence and print to video from the timeline?
Old December 2nd, 2006, 08:52 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Robinson
Thanks Maurice.
The movie i created doing this is 4.3 aspect. Are you saying that all I need to do is import the clip into a SD anamorphic sequence and print to video from the timeline?
dennis,
is your movie in hd or sd? because in hd, by default should be in 16x9. now as far as getting to sd anamorphic, i don't know. never done that. if your movie is in hd 4x3, then you'll have to ask somebody else because i don't know. if it's in sd, then it's a moot point. what i'm saying is this; when downconverting from hd to sd in fcp5, do everything you need to do to your project while it's on the timeline. the last thing you do when you're happy with your project on the timeline is downconvert thru compressor in (10 bit uncompressed). now if you're going back to tape with this instead of studio pro, then that's more unchartered waters for me, because i've only gone to studio pro and not back to tape. so maybe someone else can jump in here and help you out. good luck dennis
Maurice Jolly is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems