DVCProHD or AIC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 21st, 2006, 06:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVCProHD or AIC

Hi Gang,

As it appears that Apple is not going to release the update to allow us to edit our project in 24p natively, I was wondering if I could get some advise.

I want to deliver to a BluRay or HD DVD later this year.

After I transfer the files from the DR HD100 into a Firewire should I convert them to AIC or DVCProHD (via Lumiere).

If I convert to AIC, how do I go back to deliver my HD Master?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Tom Chaney

www.tomchaney.com

Last edited by Tom Chaney; June 21st, 2006 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Mistake in title of thread
Tom Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 08:19 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Tom,

Many are having success with DVCProHD, but I personally prefer AIC because it is a similar compression ratio but maintains the full 720x1280 raster. DVCProHD will cut your horizontal resolution to 960.

To create your HDDVD, you should be able to encode it directly from your edited AIC master using compressor - at least I have done it that way to create an SD DVD.
Andrew Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 05:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the response.

Excuse my ignorance but I want to get this right before I start a long project and have to redo everything.

So the AIC would still be considered a HiDef image, even though it is an Intermediate format? And what do you do with the AIC in compressor?

I've read Tim Dashwood mention that the AIC is a lossless codec so is that my finished HD project or do I somehow, somewhere reference my edit back to my m2t files.

Thanks again,

Tom
Old June 22nd, 2006, 07:22 AM   #4
Major Player

AIC keeps the full resolution of HDV so I would go with that if you are transcoding it.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 08:25 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
So the AIC would still be considered a HiDef image, even though it is an Intermediate format?
It is just as much high def as the M2t original. Neither, however, are delivery formats. For that matter, DVCProHD is rarely considered a delivery format.

Quote:
And what do you do with the AIC in compressor?
Export the sequence to compressor and choose the correct HDDVD preset. Do a test first.

Quote:
I've read Tim Dashwood mention that the AIC is a lossless codec so is that my finished HD project or do I somehow, somewhere reference my edit back to my m2t files.
Once you transcode to AIC, that becomes your new master. You will never go back to those m2ts. Just be mindful of sync drift. I have had some issues with it in the transcoding stage. Good luck.
Andrew Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 08:34 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
So the AIC would still be considered a HiDef image, even though it is an Intermediate format? And what do you do with the AIC in compressor?
The High Def qualification is based on the ability of a given codec to support the correect resolution and colorspace. AIC doesn't pose any restrictions about this. The only issue here is the possible loss caused by transcoding. As Tim said, with progressive, images AIC does a good job. If you are concerned about small rounding caused by this transcoding you can use the "Uncompressed 4:2:2 10 bit" codec. Beware that the clip files will be huge.

Quote:
FCP can't see the m2t files, once you convert them from Lumiere you will be working with the transcoded clip.

After you're done with editing/compositing, export your sequence using FCP, select "Quicktime Movie", choose the first option from the drop-down box: current settings. Double check that audio and video are selected and export all the markers so that your DVD will have chapters. Be sure that "Make self contained movie" is unchecked. This will create a reference QT movie, basically a file that points to your rendered files on disk.
Drop that file into Compressor, select your compression system, create the master for DVD Studio.

That's it.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 09:48 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I just wanted to add that I've been quite happy with AIC.
Tim Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 10:07 AM   #8
Major Player

I have been editing HDV Natively in FCP (30P) and was curious though about AIC. Is it 4:2:2 like Cineform or 4:2:0 (I think it is this).
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 06:00 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks!

Andrew, Paolo, Steve and Tim,

Thanks for the information.

I learned quite a bit here and I'm sure that some others did as well.

Tom

www.tomchaney.com
Old June 22nd, 2006, 06:43 PM   #10
Major Player

No problem man!
Steve Benner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems