Texas Shootout m2t's please. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 22nd, 2006, 07:22 PM   #1
Trustee

Texas Shootout m2t's please.

Hi guys,

You may have read the latest camera comparison from dv.com from our own Chris Hurd, Nate Weaver and Adam Wilt (and others). This thing they've mentioned about "sticky" images is interesting.

@Chris Hurd, Can you please host these Raw m2t's that display the "sticky" effect that was referred to? I'd like to take a look at it in my own NLE frame by frame to see if it's in the raw file or a problem with the transcode. I have seen some "floating" elements before in my own footage seen here (m2t). I'd like to see if what you're calling "sticky" is the same effect.

Thanks
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 07:42 PM   #2
Wrangler

Chris is on the road this week, so all I can say on his behalf for the time being is that while I'm hopeful it won't be too much longer now that the DV Mag article is out, TX Shootout products aren't ready for DVi release quite yet.

I'm not a JVC user...Nate, any ideas about this?
EDIT: Here's a thread about it: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=70020
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:29 AM   #3
Wrangler

Yeah, I dunno. I think this is a case of Adam's eyes catching things most people's won't.

I don't for a second doubt that Adam has seen it...but I sure haven't noticed it in real use. I've seen a lot of things I DO object to in the camera (some in real use, most in test situations), but this is not one of them.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 02:01 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry, I'm at CineGear in L.A. for the next couple of days, no way to upload anything until next week.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 05:45 AM   #5
Wrangler

FWIW, Adam mentioned something similar in his DV Magazine review of the HD-100 last April:

Quote:
However, JVC's codec appears to have a higher threshold for intra-GOP change detection than Sony's; in a side-by-side test, wide-angle lockdowns of shaded foliage showed smooth motion in Sony's recording, whereas the JVC's leaves tended to sit in place for a few frames and then jump slightly to their new positions. The effect only occurred for small, subtle motions in low-key parts of a visually complex picture
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems