Make Timecode Stay 0:00:00:00 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:24 AM   #1
Major Player

Make Timecode Stay 0:00:00:00

Anyone know why I need to keep resetting the timecode in the menu after every use? (real time code not UB)

Most of the time I want it to always be zero when I put a new tape in, like any regular DV Camera.

The TC Gene switch behind the lcd is set for rec.

I of course want to avoid having any kind of timecode problems.

I've heard certain settings can cause problems like timecode breaks
and other messy batch capture opportunities. Don't want that.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:45 AM   #2
Major Player

No pro camera that I know of resets the timecode automatically with a new tape. That's actually a good thing when you're editing and something didn't get labeled on a hectic shoot. You at least have a sense of continuity and what order things were shot.

Lower end cameras that reset will also reset to zero if you shut the camera off or take the tape out and put it back in. That can cause real headaches when you're trying to digitize footage.

Edit: I wanted to elaborate on that a bit. Suppose you have 10 tapes and they all have the same time code. You log the footage and edit the piece but you accidently forget to change the reel number 2 or 3 times. Later you need to go back and recapture the footage. Your program redigitizes the wrong footage with the right timecode. Stuff like that is a real pain (I speak from experience, unfortunately) and unique timecode helps you sort it out.
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:42 PM   #3
Major Player

Use the auto bars and tone function (sorry can't remember what its' called - help anyone - you hit the stop button and then hit the record button - has to be enabled in the menu...). It will automatically put bars and tone on the head of your tape and it sets the timecode back to 0:00:00:00 (or whatever time you set it too - and it remembers the preference.)
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 01:48 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys.

Your points are all well taken warren and your absolutely right.

I'll gladly reset to 0 before each shoot in the interest of keeping
the reels in order without having to think about it. :)
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 04:20 AM   #5
Contributor

Actually on most Betacam style shoots I've been on we preset the code to reflect the tape number i.e. Tape 1 = 01:00:00:00; Tape 2 = 02:00:00:00 etc
You could use this system on the JVC if you are only using 1 hour tapes.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems