Hd110/hd111 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 25th, 2006, 07:41 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ames
Well, rock and a hard place, Film Girl. Yes I do know what's going on or at least what JVC tells someone who's purchased 6 and is probably buying another 6 250s however, that being said, the group of JVC people at CineGear was disperate and I can only assume who the board is talking about when they say a VP. The company's loaded with VPs and executives, some of whom are great people like Bob Muller who know what honor and integrity are all about, downplays his role and simply gets things done for all of us but don't make the circuit. And then there are those who are put out on the circuit, have absolutey no idea what integrity is all about failing to evidence even a passing familiarity with things like truth and honor, thrive on self-importance mixing messages with self-grandising calndestine overtones and causing confusion on boards like this who are the bread and butter of the industry. And then there are the great people who are out there on the front lines without important titles making the circuit grind being honest with people, telling them the truth and asking them simply to keep a confidence. I respect that so that's what I mean by rock and a hard place. What I can tell you is that, with more than $60,000 invested in 6 100HDs and their ancillary accessories, I'm not concerned that a 110 is going to replace them because we upgraded. However JVC needs to keep its books straight is up to them. We have the "A" upgrade on all our units so there's no need to think we're missing something.
There were three people at Cinegear that I saw. Two were dressed in JVC t-shirts and said they were from the West Coast. The third was dressed plain clothes... and he was shorter than the other two, and reportedly from the East Coast. (None of them were rappers, that I know of.) I was told he was the VP of marketing for the HD100 (and what other products, I don't know.) I don't think the name is important, since anyone there would know who I'm talking about. He never smiled that I know of, and his knowledge was superior. (enough said)

My conversation with the group from JVC was a little strained since I would ask a question, get an answer, then pull out a paper that contradicted the answer. If people would just be straight from the start, it would make things a lot easier.

It would be one thing to ask about unannouced plans. However, the camera we are talking about, the HD110 is already selling in Europe. It's not a secret. It can also be assumed that the battery promotion at this point is for a reason, and this was confirmed by the unnamed "VP."

One of my questions is also when will the PAL version of the HD110 be selling in the U.S. B&H now sells the PAL version of the HD100ua, so it's not unreasonable to ask when the HD110e/111e will be available in the U.S.

I think the reps at Cinegear were just not fully informed and were not purposely misleading.. in general.

However, the "VP" did say one thing. When I asked if the HD100s didn't sell out with the current promotion, would there be another promotion. He answered, "That's how companies do things, isn't it?" He also said the HD110 would be a few months, and I think he mentioned 3 or 4. But I have no idea if he knows.

As I said in another post I had already emailed JVC about the HD110 and got the answer that there was no information about it.

The "VP" also said that JVC has been pretty fair with the customers, for example the free upgrade to the "a" version. He told me this when I asked if the BR-HD50U would play tape from the HD200. However, he was very clear in saying this has not been decided/determined yet.

What I've learned is that the HD100 is an excellent product that does what it is supposed to. But since it is a first generation product, and I suppose the "a" upgrade makes it a 1-1/4 generation product, there will be changes. At the most the HD110 adds some little things that keeps it selling in the face of the competition that may be coming out.

With the promotion the HD100 costs about $4100 ($5200 at B&H less the battery, which is requred. This is cheaper than any of the competition, and it is the best of all of them for going to film. The filmouts look amazing. And it has a true professional form factor that has many, many advantages.

Experience has shown that the top-of-class cameras in this category, such as the PD150 (though the category has taken a step of with the HD200) hold their value and are still used even when a slight upgrade comes out, i.e. the PD170. The TV show "24" was still using PD150s this last season. (See the article in Showreel, I think it is.) I believe they will the the JVC camera next season, but the setup and accessories cost way more than the camera.

The HD100 is worth buying today. All I've done is get some information off the internet and at a trade show. There's letting interested people know about it. In three months it will all be out anyway, and if everyone knows it was known and it was kept a secret to take advantage of the customers, some people would be upset. If JVC wanted to keep the HD110 a secret in the U.S. it shouldn't have started selling it in Europe. But once the company went public, it's fair game to look into it, and it's irresponsible not to.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 10:18 PM   #17
Regular Crew

well, that explains the free A/B batteries promotion - they want to get rid of the inventory....

between the free A/B batteries v/s few new features in Hd110... I'd pick $1000 batteries.. the new upgrade is not worth $1000 more dollars...

Last edited by Ram Ganesh; June 25th, 2006 at 11:55 PM.
Ram Ganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker
One final note, the VP told another man who came up that the 250 would be release first, and the 200 would follow it at an unspecified later date. Whether he meant a week, a month, 3 months, he didn't say... and these decisions probably haven't been made.
That was probably me. He told me exactly what Jack quoted. I was a little surprised to hear that the HD250 is coming out first. I also asked him about the list prices and how it was still "tentative" for the HD200 and he said that was true, it is not set yet.

I totally forgot to ask them about the HD110. Also, I visited the Fujinon booth but they didn't really have any info on the new 1/3 inch lenses. Obviously they were there mainly for the high-end 2/3", EC and PF lenses.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 10:52 PM   #19
2nd Unit TV

You're also going to hear some scuttlebutt about JVC and Cooke lenses.
Jonathan Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
The HD100 is worth buying today. All I've done is get some information off the internet and at a trade show. There's letting interested people know about it. In three months it will all be out anyway, and if everyone knows it was known and it was kept a secret to take advantage of the customers, some people would be upset. If JVC wanted to keep the HD110 a secret in the U.S. it shouldn't have started selling it in Europe. But once the company went public, it's fair game to look into it, and it's irresponsible not to.
Jack,

I asked via email to JVC Australia about their plans to sell the HD110E and HD111E and as a side point, whether we are able to get the battery promotion. JVC Australia said the HD111E will go on sale in July concurrently with existing stocks of the 101E (which are expected to run out in mid-August), there is a $1000 price difference though. Australia will not get the HD110E as JVC Australia haven't been selling enough of the HD100E and their demand is not justified - which is fair enough really.

As for the battery promotion - NO! We miss out down here due to "current distribution methods that IDX and Anton Bauer have in place". Currently they have a promotion til June 30 to get the Fujinon Wide Angle adapter, the JVC BN-V438U battery and $100 off.

Just some info to add to the debate.
Andrew Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 06:43 PM   #21
Trustee

I found this picture of what the caption says is the HD110U -- which would be the U.S. version of the HD110 - from a demonstration at the Final Cut users group in Tulsa:

http://web.mac.com/tulfcpug/iWeb/Site/Photos.html

Not easy to see, but it's there. Third column, second row.

Anybody from Tulsa who saw the camera/demonstration and has any info?

Apparently this was an event called the HDV Smackdown 2006 held in Tulsa Oklahoma, January 19, 2006, at the Hardesty Regional Library, open to the public. Sony, Canon, JVC, Panasonic, and Apple were there.

Last edited by Jack Walker; June 27th, 2006 at 09:32 PM.
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #22
Major Player

I just looked at the manual for the hd110/hd111.

http://www.jvcpro.co.uk/getResource2...al.pdf?id=6467

Looks interesting. Especially the b/w vf and improved focus assist.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 12:12 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Free Upgrades?

Hi

I have found this whole upgrade thing quite disconcerting. I have had my hd100 for about 5 months and already its going to be obsolete!

Will there be any free upgrades or special discounted upgrades for those who already have the hd100? This would seem to be somewhat appropriate on the part of JVC.

Thanks

Trevor
Trevor Allin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 12:33 AM   #24
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Allin
Hi

I have found this whole upgrade thing quite disconcerting. I have had my hd100 for about 5 months and already its going to be obsolete!
I think that's a stretch of the definition of obsolete. Nothing has been changed that will hamper the use of your existing camera.
Old June 28th, 2006, 12:43 AM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Allin
Hi

Will there be any free upgrades or special discounted upgrades for those who already have the hd100? This would seem to be somewhat appropriate on the part of JVC.

Thanks

Trevor
I have come to the conclusion that the upgrades on the HD110 are not significant to 95% of the users. And not really significant to 99% of the users. I think the HD100 with the battery promotion is probably the way to go. I have another day to decide (except that my interest is in the HD200 and 60p specifically for slow motion, consequently my hesitation at this time -- but I haven't made a decision yet).

Anyone who has had a camera for 5 months has saved a lot of money, even if they decide to sell it and buy an HD200 or an HD110 when they come out, apparently probably not sooner than a few months from now.

Rental of an HD110 in L.A. goes for $235 to $335 a day. With a 3-day week, that's $705 to $1005 just for a week. Since the picture from the HD100 and the HD110 is identical, not having the upgrade (still not out) but having the camera for 5 months is certainly way worth it.

That's why even buying the HD100 now (for $4200 considering the AB promotion) and using it for just two months, pays for the camera if you otherwise have to rent. Etc. Etc. Etc.

(I bought my last computer about a month before PCIe video cards became the standard -- but it sill works perfect for what I need.)

[By the way, if anyone has a fairly new HD100 that is "obsolete," send me a private message, and maybe I can take it off your hands -- at the least I'll give you postage to send it to me and enough money to buy a nice lunch....]
Old June 29th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Farrell
Jack,
As for the battery promotion - NO! We miss out down here due to "current distribution methods that IDX and Anton Bauer have in place". Currently they have a promotion til June 30 to get the Fujinon Wide Angle adapter, the JVC BN-V438U battery and $100 off.
These promotions in the US only are not uncommon, just look at all the rebates and promos the US get on products that the rest of us don't get. Also notice these rebates are only for US residents and not for anyone importing from the US (ie they won't send the IDX kit to Australia even if you are willing to pay for the extra freight).

It is pretty clear this is how companies are now selling their products at what appears to be a more competitive prices internationally but still really giving the US the equivalent of much cheaper prices. Nikon are classic at doing this of late.

Grey imports have been hurting these companies for a while so this seems the way they are moving to to stop grey imports but still give the US the best deals.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 09:46 AM   #27
JVC America

Quote:
I found this picture of what the caption says is the HD110U -- which would be the U.S. version of the HD110 - from a demonstration at the Final Cut users group in Tulsa:

http://web.mac.com/tulfcpug/iWeb/Site/Photos.html

Not easy to see, but it's there. Third column, second row.

Anybody from Tulsa who saw the camera/demonstration and has any info?

Apparently this was an event called the HDV Smackdown 2006 held in Tulsa Oklahoma, January 19, 2006, at the Hardesty Regional Library, open to the public. Sony, Canon, JVC, Panasonic, and Apple were there.
Hi Jack,

The caption you refer to is in error. I was at the Tulsa event, doing the JVC presentation. The camera was definitely a GY-HD100U, not a GY-HD110U.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 09:49 PM   #28
Trustee

While doing my routine search for the JVC HD110U, I found it for sale and in stock in the USA:
https://secure.avalive.com/webstore/...t=100&offset=0

I don't know if or when other dealers in the USA will have the camera. For that matter, I haven't verified by phone that this dealer has the camera as they indicate on the website.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 10:15 PM   #29
JVC America

Quote:
While doing my routine search for the JVC HD110U, I found it for sale and in stock in the USA:
https://secure.avalive.com/webstore/...t=100&offset=0

I don't know if or when other dealers in the USA will have the camera. For that matter, I haven't verified by phone that this dealer has the camera as they indicate on the website.
It's not likely they have it, given the fact that the first U.S.-bound GY-HD110U shipment has not arrived in the U.S. yet.
Old July 4th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Whenever there is a shoot out, I always like the JVC image best. I like that it has a professional lens and real 24P. I would have already bought the camera, except for the fact that every time I'm about too, I hear of a new problem. It's frustrating, and financially unacceptable to me, to buy a BRAND NEW $5,500 camera and have my first creative decision with it be - do I immediately send it back to JVC to have the SSE re-calibration fix, or do I put it out in the car on a sunny day, to warm up, while I come inside and download the super secret dead pixel formula, so I can perform my own kitchen table fix for all the dead pixels on it's ccds?

Although the JVC HDV (which was invented by JVC) only uses a 6 frame GOP, the Canon's 15 frame GOP shows less artifacts. Why is that? And what is with this new problem that Adam Wilt writes about in his HD100 review and Texas Shootout articles, about moving grass, leaves, reeds, etc. sticking for 6 frames at a time, causing a noticeable visual oddity.

I was excited by the A model release, thinking quality control would be addressed but instead I read A models were being sent out that still had to be sent back in for SSE re-calibration.

I think JVC made a great camera and it's choices with the 1280x720 pixel ccd (no shifting gimmick) and 720P format are the best choices for a 1/3 HDV camera, but they lack follow through on the details.

So, my question is, are these problems going to be fixed in the HD110 version, or not? If they are, I'm buying it. If not, I won't be buying it. Thank you.
John Trent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems