DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Hd110/hd111 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/70105-hd110-hd111.html)

Paul Jefferies June 23rd, 2006 02:24 PM

Hd110/hd111

Hi,
Just came back from the production show (or whatever its called this year) in London. JVC had two new cameras on display in addition to the 200 and 250 we all know about - they called them the HD110 and HD111. I think they are just upgrades of the existing 100 / 101 but with some of those features we all wanted, i.e. viewfinder and monitor on simultaneously, VF and Monitor black and white options, some new audio stuff. Does anyone have any more info on these cameras? I didn't have time to really check them out in detail. P.S. maybe its time to call this forum "JVC GY-HD models" as the title is going to be massive with all these new models added to it...

Jack Walker June 24th, 2006 12:11 AM

I wrote to JVC in the U.S. about the 110 and got this answer:

"There has been no official word yet when the GY-HD110 will be available
here in the United States."

There is another thread (or two) about the 110 in this forum that has some links to the details on the 110/11. Here are the HD110 threads:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/search.php?searchid=537755

At the show did JVC say whether or not the HD100 would continue alongside the HD110?

JVC is supposed to be at Cinegear in Los Angeles. If they are, I plan to ask them about the HD110 and the U.S. at the show tomorrow (Saturday). I don't know if anyone has already gotten some info from the show.

Paul Jefferies June 24th, 2006 02:12 AM

They implied that the 110 is a direct replacement for the 100, likewise the 111 is a replacement for the 101

Drew Curran June 24th, 2006 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Jefferies
They implied that the 110 is a direct replacement for the 100, likewise the 111 is a replacement for the 101

Creative Video list the 101 and 100 as discontinued. I've just ordered one of the last 101e's from them. According to them the 111e is the replacement. Its £400 dearer.

Drew

Jack Walker June 24th, 2006 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Jefferies

Thank you for the information. And for the info about the HD100 being discontinued in Europe. Here is a link:
http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/publi...&Submit=go&w=1

Did they have by chance any information about when the HD200 and/or 250 would be available?

Bob Fierce June 24th, 2006 01:57 PM

Does the 110 have the new 60p encoder that'll be available in the 200/250? If so, what's the difference between the 110 and 200?

Drew Curran June 24th, 2006 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Fierce
Does the 110 have the new 60p encoder that'll be available in the 200/250? If so, what's the difference between the 110 and 200?

No. Video and audio recording remain unchanged.

Drew

Jack Walker June 25th, 2006 02:32 AM

I spoke to a VP of marketing for JVC (from the New Jersey office) at Cinegear. Depite the fact that I was a little annoying with my persistent questions that I repeated, he gave me some info on the new versions coming out -- and I don't think there is really much more that is definite.

The HD110 is not considered a new version for a slight upgrade to the existing HD100. In other words, it is not a replacement model but a model number change to reflect the slight feature upgrades on the HD100 -- and as such is considered to be the same camera for all practical purposes (which it is as far as picture acquistion, quality, formats, etc. etc.).

While the Euro model is selling for more money, the VP said the HD110 would be no raise in price over the HD100 in the U.S.

As far when, he said he didn't know but probably within a few months. He was specific, but the indication was that the HD110 would appear when the stock of HD100 cameras ran out. He didn't say so directly, but it seems the current battery promotion is part of the change over... though the changes in the updated model are so slight that for 95% of the people, the changes are meaningless and the battery deal is fantastic.

Regarding the 200 and 250:

He told me several times that they would probably be out in September or October. The exact feature set of the new models is not yet set and the camera design is not in concrete. The two main features of the 200 are the image flip for use of standard lenses and the 60p. There are other minor things that may or may not be included.

The 250 has SDI, etc. etc. and the features have been already listed on the forum.

One final note, the VP told another man who came up that the 250 would be release first, and the 200 would follow it at an unspecified later date. Whether he meant a week, a month, 3 months, he didn't say... and these decisions probably haven't been made.

From the whole conversation I got the impression that the 250 was pretty much in the bag and thed 200 was undergoing some last minute considerations.

Jack Walker June 25th, 2006 02:20 PM

Here is a detailed list of the upgrades that are on the HD110:
http://www.expandore.com/product/JVC...C_ProHD110.htm

The upgrades are probably negligible for most people but in certain scenarios are very helpful. For example, the audio limiter in manual mode can potentially save a shot in documentary situations when not using a mixer with a limiter.

Joyce Mahoney June 25th, 2006 03:35 PM

Hey guys- OK this thing has me worried. I mean I purchased this equipment when we were first going out on our own and the last thing i need is for it to be is obsolete. Jonathan, you're in tight with these people and you're using like a dozen of their cameras or something lke that (Congrats on the show!). So what's the real story? I can always count on you Bud for the truth.

Jack Walker June 25th, 2006 03:59 PM

I started looking into this because I was going to buy a camera this week. However, my decision is to wait for the HD200. I specifically want 60p for capturing dancing that I can then slow down for use in either a 24p or a 30 project.

There is someone in Europe who posted on this forum that he had just purchased an HD100 after considering the HD110 -- concluding that the slight upgrade in some features was not important to him.

At the Cinegear show the JVC rep from New Jersey, though a little defensive, did make it clear that the HD100 picture qualities was in every way exactly the same as the HD110. Though I don't have the camera yet, I tend to agree with him.

I have purchased the VTR, and my concern is that it might not be compatible with the HD200. The rep said that a decision hasn't been made about this yet. Apparently for the 250 there is an add on to the VTR that was shown at NAB.

The got the VTR because I am going to buy a camera, and I got it now because I got a deal on one with zero hours, and I plan to rent the HD100 for an upcoming project this month.

After learning as much as I have, I believe that if I had to buy a battery pack, I would still buy the HD100 this week. When I called B&H last week they had 100 HD100s in stock. Though I am not a sear, I think the HD100 is going to be around awhile.

For people who may want to upgrade to the HD200, the HD110, or even the HD250, I think they will want to keep and use the HD100 for multicam shoots... and if not, there will be a lot of people who want them. People shooting features in video often use multiple cameras... and being able to match a second camera up with a digital card, and then the 24p and format needing to match, I don't think the HD100 is going in any way to be obsolete... and in most scenarios, the new and/or upgraded models won't add anything.

Jonathan Ames June 25th, 2006 05:40 PM

Well, rock and a hard place, Film Girl. Yes I do know what's going on or at least what JVC tells someone who's purchased 6 and is probably buying another 6 250s however, that being said, the group of JVC people at CineGear was disperate and I can only assume who the board is talking about when they say a VP. The company's loaded with VPs and executives, some of whom are great people like Bob Muller who know what honor and integrity are all about, downplays his role and simply gets things done for all of us but don't make the circuit. And then there are those who are put out on the circuit, have absolutey no idea what integrity is all about failing to evidence even a passing familiarity with things like truth and honor, thrive on self-importance mixing messages with self-grandising calndestine overtones and causing confusion on boards like this who are the bread and butter of the industry. And then there are the great people who are out there on the front lines without important titles making the circuit grind being honest with people, telling them the truth and asking them simply to keep a confidence. I respect that so that's what I mean by rock and a hard place. What I can tell you is that, with more than $60,000 invested in 6 100HDs and their ancillary accessories, I'm not concerned that a 110 is going to replace them because we upgraded. However JVC needs to keep its books straight is up to them. We have the "A" upgrade on all our units so there's no need to think we're missing something.

Jonathan Nelson June 25th, 2006 06:26 PM

I wonder how long it will take for the hd110 to come around. I just ordered a hd100 and I wouldn't mind waiting a month to get the new version even though it doesn't include the AB promo. Any longer then a month then I will have to forget the hd110. I find it hard to believe that these features are that "slight". They are obviously large enough to make jvc want to spend the money and implement them in a new model, but seriously, what do I know?

What strikes me the most about the hdd110, is the upgraded focus assist feature.

Joel Aaron June 25th, 2006 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joyce Mahoney
last thing i need is for it to be is obsolete.

My definition of obsolete would be "can't use it and is worthless". That's not happening. The HD-100 shoots great right now. In fact, we know the chip is the same in all these cameras and you can change lenses so you'll be shooting just as good quality as anyone else without a couple new conveniences. If you NEED 60P then you might want to sell your gear and upgrade to an HD-200. That's a more expensive camera though. If you rarely need 60P you'd just rent or borrow for those shoots.

Will our cameras devalue when the new ones come out? Probably $500 or $1000... but if the new cameras don't include the bigger batteries then maybe not. What would you rather have - a 5 hour battery or both monitor and viewfinder on at the same time?

There's ALWAYS a newer cooler everything 6 months away. Never buy anything until you can't wait another 6 months for the new cool thing because you need it now. :-) (I wish I could follow that advice)

Jonathan Ames June 25th, 2006 06:40 PM

Well agreed, Joel, well agreed.

Jack Walker June 25th, 2006 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Ames
Well, rock and a hard place, Film Girl. Yes I do know what's going on or at least what JVC tells someone who's purchased 6 and is probably buying another 6 250s however, that being said, the group of JVC people at CineGear was disperate and I can only assume who the board is talking about when they say a VP. The company's loaded with VPs and executives, some of whom are great people like Bob Muller who know what honor and integrity are all about, downplays his role and simply gets things done for all of us but don't make the circuit. And then there are those who are put out on the circuit, have absolutey no idea what integrity is all about failing to evidence even a passing familiarity with things like truth and honor, thrive on self-importance mixing messages with self-grandising calndestine overtones and causing confusion on boards like this who are the bread and butter of the industry. And then there are the great people who are out there on the front lines without important titles making the circuit grind being honest with people, telling them the truth and asking them simply to keep a confidence. I respect that so that's what I mean by rock and a hard place. What I can tell you is that, with more than $60,000 invested in 6 100HDs and their ancillary accessories, I'm not concerned that a 110 is going to replace them because we upgraded. However JVC needs to keep its books straight is up to them. We have the "A" upgrade on all our units so there's no need to think we're missing something.

There were three people at Cinegear that I saw. Two were dressed in JVC t-shirts and said they were from the West Coast. The third was dressed plain clothes... and he was shorter than the other two, and reportedly from the East Coast. (None of them were rappers, that I know of.) I was told he was the VP of marketing for the HD100 (and what other products, I don't know.) I don't think the name is important, since anyone there would know who I'm talking about. He never smiled that I know of, and his knowledge was superior. (enough said)

My conversation with the group from JVC was a little strained since I would ask a question, get an answer, then pull out a paper that contradicted the answer. If people would just be straight from the start, it would make things a lot easier.

It would be one thing to ask about unannouced plans. However, the camera we are talking about, the HD110 is already selling in Europe. It's not a secret. It can also be assumed that the battery promotion at this point is for a reason, and this was confirmed by the unnamed "VP."

One of my questions is also when will the PAL version of the HD110 be selling in the U.S. B&H now sells the PAL version of the HD100ua, so it's not unreasonable to ask when the HD110e/111e will be available in the U.S.

I think the reps at Cinegear were just not fully informed and were not purposely misleading.. in general.

However, the "VP" did say one thing. When I asked if the HD100s didn't sell out with the current promotion, would there be another promotion. He answered, "That's how companies do things, isn't it?" He also said the HD110 would be a few months, and I think he mentioned 3 or 4. But I have no idea if he knows.

As I said in another post I had already emailed JVC about the HD110 and got the answer that there was no information about it.

The "VP" also said that JVC has been pretty fair with the customers, for example the free upgrade to the "a" version. He told me this when I asked if the BR-HD50U would play tape from the HD200. However, he was very clear in saying this has not been decided/determined yet.

What I've learned is that the HD100 is an excellent product that does what it is supposed to. But since it is a first generation product, and I suppose the "a" upgrade makes it a 1-1/4 generation product, there will be changes. At the most the HD110 adds some little things that keeps it selling in the face of the competition that may be coming out.

With the promotion the HD100 costs about $4100 ($5200 at B&H less the battery, which is requred. This is cheaper than any of the competition, and it is the best of all of them for going to film. The filmouts look amazing. And it has a true professional form factor that has many, many advantages.

Experience has shown that the top-of-class cameras in this category, such as the PD150 (though the category has taken a step of with the HD200) hold their value and are still used even when a slight upgrade comes out, i.e. the PD170. The TV show "24" was still using PD150s this last season. (See the article in Showreel, I think it is.) I believe they will the the JVC camera next season, but the setup and accessories cost way more than the camera.

The HD100 is worth buying today. All I've done is get some information off the internet and at a trade show. There's letting interested people know about it. In three months it will all be out anyway, and if everyone knows it was known and it was kept a secret to take advantage of the customers, some people would be upset. If JVC wanted to keep the HD110 a secret in the U.S. it shouldn't have started selling it in Europe. But once the company went public, it's fair game to look into it, and it's irresponsible not to.

Ram Ganesh June 25th, 2006 10:18 PM

well, that explains the free A/B batteries promotion - they want to get rid of the inventory....

between the free A/B batteries v/s few new features in Hd110... I'd pick $1000 batteries.. the new upgrade is not worth $1000 more dollars...

Tim Le June 25th, 2006 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Walker
One final note, the VP told another man who came up that the 250 would be release first, and the 200 would follow it at an unspecified later date. Whether he meant a week, a month, 3 months, he didn't say... and these decisions probably haven't been made.

That was probably me. He told me exactly what Jack quoted. I was a little surprised to hear that the HD250 is coming out first. I also asked him about the list prices and how it was still "tentative" for the HD200 and he said that was true, it is not set yet.

I totally forgot to ask them about the HD110. Also, I visited the Fujinon booth but they didn't really have any info on the new 1/3 inch lenses. Obviously they were there mainly for the high-end 2/3", EC and PF lenses.

Jonathan Ames June 25th, 2006 10:52 PM

You're also going to hear some scuttlebutt about JVC and Cooke lenses.

Andrew Farrell June 25th, 2006 11:12 PM

Quote:

The HD100 is worth buying today. All I've done is get some information off the internet and at a trade show. There's letting interested people know about it. In three months it will all be out anyway, and if everyone knows it was known and it was kept a secret to take advantage of the customers, some people would be upset. If JVC wanted to keep the HD110 a secret in the U.S. it shouldn't have started selling it in Europe. But once the company went public, it's fair game to look into it, and it's irresponsible not to.

Jack,

I asked via email to JVC Australia about their plans to sell the HD110E and HD111E and as a side point, whether we are able to get the battery promotion. JVC Australia said the HD111E will go on sale in July concurrently with existing stocks of the 101E (which are expected to run out in mid-August), there is a $1000 price difference though. Australia will not get the HD110E as JVC Australia haven't been selling enough of the HD100E and their demand is not justified - which is fair enough really.

As for the battery promotion - NO! We miss out down here due to "current distribution methods that IDX and Anton Bauer have in place". Currently they have a promotion til June 30 to get the Fujinon Wide Angle adapter, the JVC BN-V438U battery and $100 off.

Just some info to add to the debate.

Jack Walker June 27th, 2006 06:43 PM

I found this picture of what the caption says is the HD110U -- which would be the U.S. version of the HD110 - from a demonstration at the Final Cut users group in Tulsa:

http://web.mac.com/tulfcpug/iWeb/Site/Photos.html

Not easy to see, but it's there. Third column, second row.

Anybody from Tulsa who saw the camera/demonstration and has any info?

Apparently this was an event called the HDV Smackdown 2006 held in Tulsa Oklahoma, January 19, 2006, at the Hardesty Regional Library, open to the public. Sony, Canon, JVC, Panasonic, and Apple were there.

Jonathan Nelson June 27th, 2006 10:09 PM

I just looked at the manual for the hd110/hd111.

http://www.jvcpro.co.uk/getResource2...al.pdf?id=6467

Looks interesting. Especially the b/w vf and improved focus assist.

Trevor Allin June 28th, 2006 12:12 AM

Free Upgrades?

Hi

I have found this whole upgrade thing quite disconcerting. I have had my hd100 for about 5 months and already its going to be obsolete!

Will there be any free upgrades or special discounted upgrades for those who already have the hd100? This would seem to be somewhat appropriate on the part of JVC.

Thanks

Trevor

Nate Weaver June 28th, 2006 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Allin
Hi

I have found this whole upgrade thing quite disconcerting. I have had my hd100 for about 5 months and already its going to be obsolete!

I think that's a stretch of the definition of obsolete. Nothing has been changed that will hamper the use of your existing camera.

Jack Walker June 28th, 2006 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Allin
Hi

Will there be any free upgrades or special discounted upgrades for those who already have the hd100? This would seem to be somewhat appropriate on the part of JVC.

Thanks

Trevor

I have come to the conclusion that the upgrades on the HD110 are not significant to 95% of the users. And not really significant to 99% of the users. I think the HD100 with the battery promotion is probably the way to go. I have another day to decide (except that my interest is in the HD200 and 60p specifically for slow motion, consequently my hesitation at this time -- but I haven't made a decision yet).

Anyone who has had a camera for 5 months has saved a lot of money, even if they decide to sell it and buy an HD200 or an HD110 when they come out, apparently probably not sooner than a few months from now.

Rental of an HD110 in L.A. goes for $235 to $335 a day. With a 3-day week, that's $705 to $1005 just for a week. Since the picture from the HD100 and the HD110 is identical, not having the upgrade (still not out) but having the camera for 5 months is certainly way worth it.

That's why even buying the HD100 now (for $4200 considering the AB promotion) and using it for just two months, pays for the camera if you otherwise have to rent. Etc. Etc. Etc.

(I bought my last computer about a month before PCIe video cards became the standard -- but it sill works perfect for what I need.)

[By the way, if anyone has a fairly new HD100 that is "obsolete," send me a private message, and maybe I can take it off your hands -- at the least I'll give you postage to send it to me and enough money to buy a nice lunch....]

Guy Barwood June 29th, 2006 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Farrell
Jack,
As for the battery promotion - NO! We miss out down here due to "current distribution methods that IDX and Anton Bauer have in place". Currently they have a promotion til June 30 to get the Fujinon Wide Angle adapter, the JVC BN-V438U battery and $100 off.

These promotions in the US only are not uncommon, just look at all the rebates and promos the US get on products that the rest of us don't get. Also notice these rebates are only for US residents and not for anyone importing from the US (ie they won't send the IDX kit to Australia even if you are willing to pay for the extra freight).

It is pretty clear this is how companies are now selling their products at what appears to be a more competitive prices internationally but still really giving the US the equivalent of much cheaper prices. Nikon are classic at doing this of late.

Grey imports have been hurting these companies for a while so this seems the way they are moving to to stop grey imports but still give the US the best deals.

Carl Hicks June 30th, 2006 09:46 AM

Quote:

I found this picture of what the caption says is the HD110U -- which would be the U.S. version of the HD110 - from a demonstration at the Final Cut users group in Tulsa:

http://web.mac.com/tulfcpug/iWeb/Site/Photos.html

Not easy to see, but it's there. Third column, second row.

Anybody from Tulsa who saw the camera/demonstration and has any info?

Apparently this was an event called the HDV Smackdown 2006 held in Tulsa Oklahoma, January 19, 2006, at the Hardesty Regional Library, open to the public. Sony, Canon, JVC, Panasonic, and Apple were there.

Hi Jack,

The caption you refer to is in error. I was at the Tulsa event, doing the JVC presentation. The camera was definitely a GY-HD100U, not a GY-HD110U.

Jack Walker July 3rd, 2006 09:49 PM

While doing my routine search for the JVC HD110U, I found it for sale and in stock in the USA:
https://secure.avalive.com/webstore/...t=100&offset=0

I don't know if or when other dealers in the USA will have the camera. For that matter, I haven't verified by phone that this dealer has the camera as they indicate on the website.

Carl Hicks July 3rd, 2006 10:15 PM

Quote:

While doing my routine search for the JVC HD110U, I found it for sale and in stock in the USA:
https://secure.avalive.com/webstore/...t=100&offset=0

I don't know if or when other dealers in the USA will have the camera. For that matter, I haven't verified by phone that this dealer has the camera as they indicate on the website.

It's not likely they have it, given the fact that the first U.S.-bound GY-HD110U shipment has not arrived in the U.S. yet.

John Trent July 4th, 2006 12:07 PM

Whenever there is a shoot out, I always like the JVC image best. I like that it has a professional lens and real 24P. I would have already bought the camera, except for the fact that every time I'm about too, I hear of a new problem. It's frustrating, and financially unacceptable to me, to buy a BRAND NEW $5,500 camera and have my first creative decision with it be - do I immediately send it back to JVC to have the SSE re-calibration fix, or do I put it out in the car on a sunny day, to warm up, while I come inside and download the super secret dead pixel formula, so I can perform my own kitchen table fix for all the dead pixels on it's ccds?

Although the JVC HDV (which was invented by JVC) only uses a 6 frame GOP, the Canon's 15 frame GOP shows less artifacts. Why is that? And what is with this new problem that Adam Wilt writes about in his HD100 review and Texas Shootout articles, about moving grass, leaves, reeds, etc. sticking for 6 frames at a time, causing a noticeable visual oddity.

I was excited by the A model release, thinking quality control would be addressed but instead I read A models were being sent out that still had to be sent back in for SSE re-calibration.

I think JVC made a great camera and it's choices with the 1280x720 pixel ccd (no shifting gimmick) and 720P format are the best choices for a 1/3 HDV camera, but they lack follow through on the details.

So, my question is, are these problems going to be fixed in the HD110 version, or not? If they are, I'm buying it. If not, I won't be buying it. Thank you.

Carl Hicks July 4th, 2006 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Trent
Whenever there is a shoot out, I always like the JVC image best. I like that it has a professional lens and real 24P. I would have already bought the camera, except for the fact that every time I'm about too, I hear of a new problem. It's frustrating, and financially unacceptable to me, to buy a BRAND NEW $5,500 camera and have my first creative decision with it be - do I immediately send it back to JVC to have the SSE re-calibration fix, or do I put it out in the car on a sunny day, to warm up, while I come inside and download the super secret dead pixel formula, so I can perform my own kitchen table fix for all the dead pixels on it's ccds?

Although the JVC HDV (which was invented by JVC) only uses a 6 frame GOP, the Canon's 15 frame GOP shows less artifacts. Why is that? And what is with this new problem that Adam Wilt writes about in his HD100 review and Texas Shootout articles, about moving grass, leaves, reeds, etc. sticking for 6 frames at a time, causing a noticeable visual oddity.

I was excited by the A model release, thinking quality control would be addressed but instead I read A models were being sent out that still had to be sent back in for SSE re-calibration.

I think JVC made a great camera and it's choices with the 1280x720 pixel ccd (no shifting gimmick) and 720P format are the best choices for a 1/3 HDV camera, but they lack follow through on the details.

So, my question is, are these problems going to be fixed in the HD110 version, or not? If they are, I'm buying it. If not, I won't be buying it. Thank you.

John, well over 12,000 of the GY-HD100U's have been sold. Due to the power of the internet and great forums like this one, you hear of some problems, numbering a very small percentage of the total sales. You don't hear from every one of the mnay thousands of customers who are perfectly happy with their cameras - you only hear from the ones who have the time to post a message. And, to that end, there are many, many posts on this forum of very positive results with the GY-HD100U.

Our Q.C. has been dramatically improved since the early days of the product. SSE has really become a non-issure for virtually all customers. Those customers who are found to have need of SSE calibration are quickly taken care of by our service department, or their camera is exchanged. This can be confirmed by several posts on this forum.

Regarding dead pixels - they sometimes don't show up until the product has already left the factory and has been shipped to the dealer, and then to the end-user. Any dead pixel issues are quicky resolved with the camera's built-in error correction. By the way, all manufactures of CCD camera have experience dead pixels from time to time. This can be confirmed by several posts on this forum. At least on ours, it's easy to fix.

All of the design and Q.C. improvements that we have implemented in the GY-HD100U will be part of the GY-HD110U, so my feeling is that the GYHD110U will be a reliable and stable product. Will every one of the thouands of GYHD110U that I anticipate that we will build in the future be perfect? Probably not - after all, at this price range (compared to other native HD cameras that cost ten times as much) this is a mass-produced camera. The key thing is what we can do to support you after the sale. We have a 30 day initial failure policy, a 1 year parts & labor warranty, and a team of very dedicated sales and service personnel that are concerned about our customer's satisfaction. We also have many dealers who share our commitment to customer service.

So, since you said that you favor the GYHD100 camera over the others, go for it! Keep in mind to plan your purchase several weeks prior to an important shoot. This will allow you plenty of time to learn the camera, and if there is any issues, you will then have the time to get help resolving them.

Regards,

Jack Walker July 4th, 2006 10:57 PM

Quote:

So, my question is are these problems going to be fixed in the HD110 version, or not? If they are, I'm buying it. If not, I won't be buying it. Thank you.

... and my questions is: "Will this camera do what I need it to do now?... and is it the best (or only) choice available that I can afford?"

On all counts, my answer is yes. The minimal problems seem to be well documented, and JVC has been exceptional in taking care of big issues (such as the free A upgrade to everyone) as well as individual owners' problems with personal service and attention.

For $5500 the JVC is state-of-the-art with no competitors.

I don't read it mentioned often, but the size of the camera, it's smaller form than a standard pro ENG camera, is a very attractive feature. It's like cruising through the streets of Berlin in a little Audi instead of a big Mercedes... much more enjoyable.

There are different customers for this camera. If someone has the budget to add $35,000 worth of accessories to a $5000 camera... she has special uses and has got a varicam, cinealta, genesis, or panavision for principal photography. He is also probably buying five of the cameras to shoot backgrounds or some such.

Obviously, the low, low, low budget filmmaker will find the camera perfect. He may have an array of used lens, filters, accessories that are borrowed, begged or bought to help with his look.

And there is the one who can only afford the camera, maybe a wide angle converter and a couple of filters, and a case who needs to produce high quality HD video to stay at the front of the pack. Delivery will be DVD (at first high quality SD) then a Blu-Ray version in 9 months. The JVC camera is made to order out of the box. With some quality simple lighting and experience gotten the hard way, beautiful professional video will be produced with the camera just the way it is (and perhaps some of Paolo's settings).

For all these people who need a camera now, the JVC is a must-have now. There is nothing, nothing to compare.

Scott Cantrell July 5th, 2006 11:56 AM

JVC has Formally issued a Marketing Bulletin on the GY-HD110U to be released in the U.S.

JVC is pleased to announce the release of the GY-HD110U, the latest version of HD100 series ProHD camcorders. The GY-HD110U replaces the GY-HD100U which will be discontinued upon depletion of current inventory.

New GYHD110U Features Include:
- Black and White Viewfinder display mode
- Simultaneous use of both eyepiece viewfinder and tri-mode LCD display when powered by Anton Bauer or IDX battery system
-Selectable mirror mode on vertically flipped LCD display
-Adjustable setting of FOCUS ASSIST function
-Choice of 3 image formats on composite out (letterbox, squeeze, side cut)
-User selectable DNR On/Off menu setting
-13 segments audio indicator
-Manual audio control within FAS (Full auto shooting) mode
-Audio limiter available in manual mode
-Parallel power off management of DR-HD100 recorder

JVC is also pleased to announce thtat the introductory pricing for the GYHD110U will be identical to the prior model. Shipment of the GYHD110 is scheduled to begin in mid July. All accessories available for the GYHD100U are also applicable to the GY-HD110U.

The extended Anton Bauer Power Promotion DOES NOT apply to the GY-HD110U.

For additional information, please contact your local JVC Dealer or you can contact TapeWorks Texas Inc toll free 866-827-3489

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
TapeWorks Texas Inc - HDVinfo Sponser
scott@tapeworkstexas.com

John Trent July 5th, 2006 01:21 PM

Thanks guys. Mr. Carl Hicks, it's great that JVC has a representative here. It's good to know there's help for questions and problems, right at hand. When I've had reason to call JVC in the past, I've had nothing but professional and extremely nice people offering assistance. This is quite unlike my Panasonic experiences, where my forum questions are repeatedly ignored by their rep and my phone calls were taken by an ignorant and arrogant staff - a very dangerous combination in my book. I doubt if I call JVC that, I will be transfered from department to department with every one of them telling me, "I wonder why they transfered you to me?" only to hit a dead end, and call them up again, only to be yelled at, as I was by Panny's crack staff.

I did read that that the "A" model used in the Texas Shootout showed no SSE, but it still seems like pot luck. It sounds like the 110 will come properly calibrated. I do commend you for your return fix policy. I'd just like not to have to do this, as in the past, when I've sent gear in to be fixed (not with JVC), it usually comes back with something else wrong. My luck, I suppose.

Sony and Pannasonic don't seem to have the dead pixel issue that JVC and Canon have, but again, I commend you (unlike Canon) that you offer a fix, without sending it back to the manufacturer. But couldn't you include it in the manual, or at least allow it to be posted as a "sticky", instead of us having to send private emails back and forth like it's a forbidden and secret act.

So, the only problem left is the artifact, and "six-frame stick" problem. I understand with HDV's GOP, there won't be perfection but it could be as good as Canon's implemention. No one else has the "frame stick" problem. Will this be fixed on the 110? This still concerns me.

I just read about the mid-July release. Oh, and the noise reduction sounds good. I hope this is the camera for me. Thank you.

Carl Hicks July 5th, 2006 07:34 PM

Quote:

Thanks guys. Mr. Carl Hicks, it's great that JVC has a representative here. It's good to know there's help for questions and problems, right at hand. When I've had reason to call JVC in the past, I've had nothing but professional and extremely nice people offering assistance. This is quite unlike my Panasonic experiences, where my forum questions are repeatedly ignored by their rep and my phone calls were taken by an ignorant and arrogant staff - a very dangerous combination in my book. I doubt if I call JVC that, I will be transfered from department to department with every one of them telling me, "I wonder why they transfered you to me?" only to hit a dead end, and call them up again, only to be yelled at, as I was by Panny's crack staff.

I did read that that the "A" model used in the Texas Shootout showed no SSE, but it still seems like pot luck. It sounds like the 110 will come properly calibrated. I do commend you for your return fix policy. I'd just like not to have to do this, as in the past, when I've sent gear in to be fixed (not with JVC), it usually comes back with something else wrong. My luck, I suppose.

Sony and Pannasonic don't seem to have the dead pixel issue that JVC and Canon have, but again, I commend you (unlike Canon) that you offer a fix, without sending it back to the manufacturer. But couldn't you include it in the manual, or at least allow it to be posted as a "sticky", instead of us having to send private emails back and forth like it's a forbidden and secret act.

So, the only problem left is the artifact, and "six-frame stick" problem. I understand with HDV's GOP, there won't be perfection but it could be as good as Canon's implemention. No one else has the "frame stick" problem. Will this be fixed on the 110? This still concerns me.

I just read about the mid-July release. Oh, and the noise reduction sounds good. I hope this is the camera for me. Thank you.

Hi John,

The Q.C. department will do their best to deliver all GY-HD110U's with the best possible SSE calibration. Keep in mind that they are mass-produced, and it is remotly possible that a camera could slip through with less than ideal calibration. I think the chances are far lower than with the first few months of the GY-HD100U, as we have learned a lot since then. As I said earlier, in the remote event that a camera does not have the best calibration, we offer a 1 year warranty, and a 30 day initial failure exchange.

The proceedure for pixel correction is given out on a "need-to-know" basis, because there are some sensitive menus settings with which an in-experienced user might "mess-up" their camera. We want to make sure that a customer is technically savy enough to perform the proceedure before giving it out to them. This saves our service and support departments valuable time that might be wasted in correcting problems caused by a curious customer. And by the way, yes, Sony and Panasonic do also sometimes experience dead pixels. I used to work a dealership that sold most all professional and broadcast cameras, so I can recall pixel issues with all brands of cameras. It is the nature of the CCD beast.

As for the "six-frame-stick" problem you bring up: I have no idea what this is all about. I have never seen it, and I have never heard of it at all until it was mentioned in the shoot-out report. I have never seen anyone on this forum report it either. Perhaps it was an isolated incident?

If you are still not totally comfortable, then plan to buy your GY-HD110U with time to spare before you intend to use it for an important event. This will give you time to learn the camera, and should any problems be found, you will then have time to get help with it.

Regards, Carl

Jack Walker July 5th, 2006 07:44 PM

I understand that official notices -- more than one -- went out from JVC to dealers today regarding the HD110 and some other subjects. I suppose dealers will share the info with their customers as they see fit. (Some big dealers are still denying the existence of the HD110.)

To complete my contribution to this thread, I have bought a camera and look forward to its arrival later in the month. Now I have the match for my JVC vtr -- which wasn't doing me a lot of good with no video to capture.

Joseph Robert Jobe July 5th, 2006 10:42 PM

straight from JVC-110u

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/f...l_id=MDL101642

Sam Miller July 6th, 2006 12:10 AM

My thanks to all contributors and Carl of JVC for this very open/realistic dialogue.
You see I'm wrestling with the decision of what new CAM to buy, and if it will be SD or HD? I PLAN TO PLACE MY ORDER THIS WEEK! The candidates are HD100, HVX200 and DVX100B. I'm editing with FCP Studio and currently have an SD Sony DVX1000 (needs replaced). But I want a non-laborious work flow of integrating HD quality into an output in SD that for now I can distribute on DVD 16:9 and dubbed to BetaSP for broadcast. And want to use the "film look" of 24p that is a smooth workflow shot in HD and editing in FCP.
Our broadcast segments are 30 mins using 2 cams, the other one a new 100B purchased by my partner.
So, I want a smooth, reduced render time of short clips to down convert from HD to SD that will match up with the 100B that will have good color correlation - thinking the HD will provide nice effects for 10 to 20 second splashes, intros, and inters while also using the SD shooting for 2 CAM cuts.
I like the tape media the HD100 offers plus the companion deck.
The unknown challenge for me is what is and is not compatable in using the HD100 in FCP STudio editing when compared to doing the same with the HVX200?
At this point my clients both corporate DVDs and broadcast are not wanting HD but I'm concerned about investing in a CAM like the 100B that's only SD with all the activity being done with HD development and implementation.
Your comments and thoughts would be greatly appreciated as all of you have taken the plunge!

Thanks,

Sam Miller

David Ziegelheim July 9th, 2006 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Nelson
I just looked at the manual for the hd110/hd111.

http://www.jvcpro.co.uk/getResource2...al.pdf?id=6467

Looks interesting. Especially the b/w vf and improved focus assist.

Is the 250 manual out there?

Carl Hicks July 11th, 2006 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Ziegelheim
Is the 250 manual out there?

Hi David,

Manuals are usually not available until the product ships, which is not until around October / November 2006.

Regards, Carl