Anamorphic Lenses and FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 24th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Anamorphic Lenses and FCP

I am not sure if this is the right forum, but does anyone know or have any experience in shooting with Super35/Anamorphic lenses and then exporting to FCP to get true 2:35.1 Cinema scope? I am thinking of using Anamorphic lenses on my shoot and then desqueezing the footgae when I transfer to FCP5. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old June 26th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #2
Regular Crew

So, you're thinking of using anamorphic lenses with a 35mm adapter on the HD100?

Anamorphic lenses designed for 35mm cameras squeeze the image by a factor of 2 so you'll wind up with a roughly 3.5:1 aspect ratio. I guess you could chop off the sides, but then you'd lose resolution in doing so, not that you don't lose res using anamorphics in the first place.

I know it's not as sexy, but consider just doing the old crop from 16:9 to 2.35. This method is far easier to accomplish and gives you the opportunity to reframe those hasty shots we all, inevitably, get.

Note: Canon does make an anamorpic adapter to get 2:35 in 16:9, but it's for B4 mounts and is quite the hefty piece of glass.
http://www.usa.canon.com/html/indust...v/acv-235.html
Kenn Christenson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems