Various Questions! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 27th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Various Questions!

Hi

I am slowly figuring out my hd100 but would appreciate some help on a couple of arreas:

(1) What are the colour bars for? Is it for calibrating an external monitor or is there some 'in camera' reason for having them?

(2) The 'cine' look seems to take alot of the saturation out of the colour. Is that normal? I like the colour more saturated than that.

(3) What should I set the zebra level at as normal?

(4) Why is the world so strange, and why is everyone mad about football. It's just men kicking an inflated piece of leather.

Ok, you can leave out question 4, it's late (UK) and tiredness is getting the better of me!

Thanks

Trevor
Trevor Allin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #2
New Boot

1) The color bars enable you to calibrate whatever monitor you are using (internal or external) to your picture in whatever ambient light environment you are in. With the color bars recorded onto your storage medium (typically tape), anyone can calibrate the monitor used to view the tape so that they are seeing it the same way you saw it when you created it.

2) I agree with your observation about the CINE look. I have not done any digital to film work but I have read on this site, (possibly in Paolo Ciccone's TrueColor thread?) that when digital 24P footage is converted to film, the film projectors compensate for the less color saturation and that on the big screen, the colors look, well, Cine Like.

3) The zebra setting is a preference and I've heard many different numbers thrown out. I was taught to set it at 80% but allow some areas of the picture to be above 80%. I know of people who set it up towards 100% and then use it as an indicator of a part of the image which is overexposed. A key consideration is whether you are in a controlled environment or not.

4) You should hear what they say about cameras...
Jay Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 06:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Allin
Hi
(4) Why is the world so strange, and why is everyone mad about football. It's just men kicking an inflated piece of leather.
do you prefer the one where '11 fools play and 11,000 fools watch'? :)
-Bernard Shaw quote on cricket
Old June 27th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #4
Trustee

Regarding zebra,

At 70% it shows an appropriate exposure for caucasion skin tone.

Depending on what you're shooting, different settings can be useful to show the correct exposure for certain things in the picture. With some trial and error and test shooting of what you shoot, your experience can guide you as to how the zebra can best help you.

Perhaps you can get an idea from what the camera thinks: set the camera on auto exposure and see what the zebra shows on different settings on different scenes.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 03:00 AM   #5
Major Player

What I heard about football was that it's so popular because it's the one sport that requires the least amount of equipment to play. You can be poorer than dirt and still put together some kind of football game.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 04:40 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Paolo's True color

Hi Trevor,

Without a doubt, you should check out Paolo's website for his scene files (if you aren't already!).

Give me a pigskin in HiDef any day!

Good luck with the camera.

Tom
Tom Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 11:49 AM   #7
Major Player

I prefer the zebra stripes at over 95% for shooting outside.

I then have the camera in full manual mode, point it at something
with lots of shadows, then point it at the sky/clouds. I then adjust
the iris down until no stripes of any kind are seen.

With this i get incredible dynamic imagery that has impressed many film directors here locally.

When I shoot in controlled environments, zebra stripes get set for over 100%
and are never allowed to be shown as that would be at or near blowout.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems