Magenta at top of screen, green at bottom - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 10th, 2006, 11:39 AM   #16
Major Player

Something I keep forgetting to mention.

I have seen the magenta at the upper half on other cameras as well.

I have footage from a Sony F900 (the block version/head only) that was used to get all the aerial footage for the olympics. There is some that clearly has that magenta tinge, so I don't think its just a "jvc thing."
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #17
Wrangler

Gentlemen,

I have recently learned that this phenomenon is called 'white shading' the problem is described exactly as you are seeing it.

I have also learned that higher end cameras like the one I just got, allow for the creation of lens files which allow you to crank in offsets for individual lenses.

Here is a brief excerpt from the Basic Camera Technology document produced by Sony.
Attached Thumbnails
Magenta at top of screen, green at bottom-white-shading.jpg  
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #18
Wrangler

Greg, that doc was linked in the XDCAM forum and I read to that part about a week ago.

Everytime I saw this thread in the last week, I went searching for the link to this doc!

Anyway, glad you saw it too. Back in September when I posted some downtown Los Angeles clips, somebody spotted it on one of my shots and we were at a loss to explain it other than I noted that it was a green tinge on the bottom of white speckles in the roadway, and a magenta tinge on the top of the speckles...rather than an all over gradient cast.

At the time I wrote it off to the lens, as everybody was just learning about the limitations of the lens.
Old July 10th, 2006, 12:20 PM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
Greg, that doc was linked in the XDCAM forum and I read to that part about a week ago.

Everytime I saw this thread in the last week, I went searching for the link to this doc!

Anyway, glad you saw it too. Back in September when I posted some downtown Los Angeles clips, somebody spotted it on one of my shots and we were at a loss to explain it other than I noted that it was a green tinge on the bottom of white speckles in the roadway, and a magenta tinge on the top of the speckles...rather than an all over gradient cast.

At the time I wrote it off to the lens, as everybody was just learning about the limitations of the lens.
Nate, according to this..it is the lens and the offets apply a parabolic correction curve to the while balance on the amplifiers.

Now the question becomes...does the HD100 have lens files? Maybe Carl Hicks can help us out here. It may be a factory calibration thing.

-gb-
Old July 10th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #20
Wrangler

Ooops, didn't read far enough into it. I saw the bit about the prism block and just left it at that.

Lens files on the HD100? Heh. Seriously doubt it. I know there's nothing like that in the end-user menus. I'll go out on a limb as speculate that that sort of correction takes serious DSP that only higher level cameras can afford.
Old July 12th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #21
Major Player

I have noticed this rears itself when the iris is all the way open, even if your
exposure is perfect, it happens with it all the way open.

I wish I could have it all the way open and not have this occur.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Nate, according to this..it is the lens and the offets apply a parabolic correction curve to the while balance on the amplifiers.

Now the question becomes...does the HD100 have lens files? Maybe Carl Hicks can help us out here. It may be a factory calibration thing.

-gb-
White shading is usually found in the maintenance files on the high end cameras. There is a service menu on the HD 100, but you'd really need to know what you're doing before venturing in there.

Since the HD 100 is being used by quite a few people who haven't had training, there's a good chance that any lens file adjustments are hidden in the service menu.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 02:30 PM   #23
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale
White shading is usually found in the maintenance files on the high end cameras. There is a service menu on the HD 100, but you'd really need to know what you're doing before venturing in there.

Since the HD 100 is being used by quite a few people who haven't had training, there's a good chance that any lens file adjustments are hidden in the service menu.
It's actually part of the top level File menu on my Sony F350. But yeah, I am thinking as I wondered earlier that on the HD100 it's going to be a factory calibration type thing if it exists. That's definitely something for a service menu.

-gb-
Old July 12th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
It's actually part of the top level File menu on my Sony F350. But yeah, I am thinking as I wondered earlier that on the HD100 it's going to be a factory calibration type thing if it exists. That's definitely something for a service menu.

-gb-
Yes, for the lens. There are also adjustments for the CCD block.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems