White Balance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 6th, 2006, 08:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

White Balance

Hi Everyone:

On a recent documentary I shot I had some trouble with white balance. As the sun would move throughout the day, the light it provided would change. Every so often I would re white balance. However, now in the editing phase the differences in the color (or temperature) are quite dramatic. Is this going to be very difficult to correct in post?

Best,
tommy
Tommy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #2
Major Player

You can only do so much in the way of color correction. The more you tweak the original picture, the more noise you add. If your editing system has a decent color correction tool, you should be fine. USE AWB next time!

Scott
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 10:50 AM   #3
Trustee

Tommy. It depends on the software that you use. FCP has a pretty sophisticated color correction tool. You can match the color from one clip to the other. The Synthetic Aperturte Color Finesse plugin also provides a lot of conrtrol.

For the future you might want to consider shooting a white card at the beginning of each clip so that you have a common reference point.
Old July 6th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #4
Major Player

Le't's look at the whole thing from a different angle:

If you are shooting exteriors daytime - you may want to consider using WB preset. The reason is that the colours will be more realistic and in reality, they will match better from scene to scene. Also, you cannot capture that nice morning light and the warm evening, and pinkish magic hour light if you white balance every time. That way you are getting rid of all these nice nuances and 'sterilizing' you image. Think of it as if you shot film; you'd never switch correction filters every few hours. You'd load a daylight balanced film negative and stick to it until you move to interiors or night. Subtle nuances that naturally happen during the day are okay because they are natural and they are also fairly easy to correct. Think of an actor that is back-lit by the sun. In a reverse shot, if the actor turns to look over his shoulder, his face will be lit by the sun, hence much warmer then the first shot, which will have much more blue contained in the skin. You don't want to correct this - it is natural and it adds to the realism of the scene.

If you white balance all the time you become a victim of clouds, sun, shooting in different directions, etc. There are simply too many variables and they will inevitably lead to a huge job in CC.
Old July 7th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Okay - Da Vinci hopefully will help

Jiri:

Thanks that gave me a great reference and explained a few questions I had trouble articulating. I did use a white board, I just white balanced too much it seems. At any rate, we plan on using Da Vinci in post, so hopefully that can save some of the footage.
Tommy Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems