What other camera(s) do you use with the HD100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 6th, 2006, 06:44 PM   #1
Major Player

What other camera(s) do you use with the HD100?

When shooting with multiple cameras, what other cams do you use in conjunction with the HD100? Do you also use interlaced cams (Z1u, etc) and then deinterlace them for editing? If so, do they match up well with the HD100 footage?
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Anyone? Or do most of you own a pair of HD100s?
Old August 8th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds
Anyone? Or do most of you own a pair of HD100s?
If I need two cameras say like for a wedding one stationary and one moving around I rent the other camera or HD100 I do not like shooting with two cameras that are not the same.
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 10:34 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Williams
If I need two cameras say like for a wedding one stationary and one moving around I rent the other camera or HD100 I do not like shooting with two cameras that are not the same.
Okay... but that dooesn't really help me. I'm looking for someone that uses two different cameras that work well together.
Old August 8th, 2006, 06:17 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds
Okay... but that dooesn't really help me. I'm looking for someone that uses two different cameras that work well together.
OK! in the most recent test in DV mag done by adam wilt ect Im almost positive that of the bunch the AG-HVX200 was the closes match in color ect. obviously every one knows the canon has the best resolution with the HD100 comming in second but the color matches were closest to the HVX200.
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 12:33 AM   #6
Major Player

We use JVC with Sony P170 when the material goes to SD. There is some colour correction involved, but generally they mix pretty well when JVC is in HD-SD mode, recording 576p50.

Nothing about real HDV though.
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 06:45 AM   #7
Major Player

I use the HD100 sometimes with my PD150.
I made a camera preset in the HD100 which is close to the PD150, so I don't do much color corection during post.
To fine-tune it I will have to buy a DSC chart soon to make it more calibrated.
I did it now as close as possible through DVrack and looking to the vectorscope. shooting the same objects with both camera's.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I just been using the HD100 in SD24P 16x9 and a DVX100 24p letterboxed for weddings. Since I only have 1 HD100, it's form factor is great for gathering the event footage and the DVX100 is used for static close-up interviews with light, chair, mic, etc.

I use Steven's panamatch settings for the HD100 (and I always underexpose slightly) and match the DVX100 to that colorwise. I have to say the HD100 is one spectacular SD camera. HD resolution is great and everything but for weddings, news style, etc HD100 in SD is just sooooooo good. The DVX matches well when focal length is longer and close-up. Perfect for people with less than perfect skin for instance :-)
George David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Looking for a 2nd (backup/static) cam for JVC HD100

Hello all.

I will be looking for a 2nd camera (in the spring of 2007) to compliment, or backup, my JVC HD100 which I'm using to shot wedding videos in 720p.

Is there a HD video camera under $3000.00 that I would be able to use alongside the HD100? Even if I have to do some magic in the editing room, I guess I'm willing to try any camera that would work.

I just read the post above mine regarding the Panasonic dx100, and SD video being able to mix with 720p video, but I'm confused, and a little apprehensive to get a SD camera, when I spent all this cash on a HD camera. Although, I may be misleading myself.

What about these $1,500 hd cameras from Sony and Canon? Would the footage from those mix with the HD100 well, or at all?

What about these $3000.00 Sony HD cameras like the HVR-A1U, or the HC1, would I be able to use the HD footage from those somehow, and mix it with the HD100?

Didn't JVC make a cheaper HD video camera? HD10, I think, would that work along side the HD100?

I know this is a noob question, sorry about that.
Thanks
Michael
Michael Steeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 10:48 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Michael, if you're going to wait until Spring 2007 I would just buy another HD100 used. To me the HD100 in SD mode mixes well with the DVX100 (letterbox and close up only) and rendered to DVD. If you shoot the HD100 in 720p, the DVX footage will be very fuzzy in comparison - even when mastered to DVD.

In fact, I was testing a little bit yesterday - HD100 16x9 in SD mode vs DVX100 letterboxed (without the LA-7200 anamorphic adapter). Even in SD, the HD100 just looks better and higher res and the only way to match with the DVX is when the DVX is on the longer side of the lens (meaning close-up of faces and stuff).

HC1 and A1 footage are great little interlaced cameras, but I don't know how that would mix with a 720P progressive camera.
George David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Jvc Gr-hd1

Thanks George,

I wonder if this camera would shoot compatible 720p video alongside the JVC-HD100...
I'm a little confused, but I think it shoots 720p at 30p fps, which would be fine I think?
Also the price of this camera is great for me if it works.
It would also be a great "cheaper" deck for that camera as well I think?

I have listed a quote from jvc on the key features of the camera.

JVC GR-HD1
Key Features

The Digital Hi-Def camcorder records in both NTSC and U.S. ATSC HDTV standard video on a standard Mini DV cassette. Recording can be done in 4:3 480i (DV compression) as well as 16:9 480/60p and 16:9 720/30p (MPEG-2 compression). In analog component it plays back in 480i (NTSC) and 480/60p, 720/60p, 1080i (ATSC), making it compatible with virtually all display devices. Its digital i.LINK outputs IEEE 1394-compliant 480i (NTSC) and 480/60p, 720/30p (ATSC) to D-VHS or computers via the FireWire connection.

To maximize its application potential in the field, and assure seamless transfer to a variety of post-production environments, the camcorder is equipped with three ATSC compatible shooting modes:
HD Mode that records 720/30p digital high-definition images,
SD Mode for 525p progressive wide images, and
DV Mode which records at conventional NTSC 480i DV standard.
High efficiency 6 frame group of pictures (GOP) Hi-Def MPEG compression allows the same recording time for HD on Mini DV cassettes as for standard SD DV compression.
Attached Thumbnails
What other camera(s) do you use with the HD100?-jvc-gr-hd1.jpg  
Michael Steeves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems