Audio capture...help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 26th, 2006, 08:19 AM   #1
New Boot

Audio capture...help

Hi there,
I'm from Portugal and i also have an HD100 PAL for some time and still donīt like the audio capture, i might be doing something wrong, the audio becames to metalic and if i move far or close to the audio source it goes very low or very hi to fast, i now that's normal due to the audio filter, but the only way to compare that i have is with an XL1 that i also have, and the audio capture is much better, hi quality that just looks like surround. I have an "L" on my viefinder that means "lock audio and video", could that be the solution, and if so how do i turn it off? Another question about this, could the pro microfone for this camera resolve the problem?

Thank you for any help.

Luís ventura
Luis Ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 09:56 AM   #2
Major Player

If your using the stock mic that's your problem. It's at best a total POS. Mine have never even seen the camera much less get attached to it. Why they even bother to ship that thing is beyond me. Take 150 bucks and go get a Rode shotgun and you'll be amazed at the difference.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 01:21 AM   #3
Major Player

Yes, Jerry is right. I am also a sound recordist as well as cam person and I find the microphone on the camera deeply offensive -almost a personal insult straight from JVC to me. I am sure JVC never actually intended it to be used.

Try A rode shotgun (great smooth sound for very little cash) or one of the cheaper Sennheiser shotguns (though I do not like the sound of these which is very harsh)

Rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 07:46 AM   #4
New Boot

thank you guys, you've been very helpfull, i will buy that mic, by the way i already told this to JVC but they never even answered.

Luis Ventura
Old August 29th, 2006, 10:13 AM   #5
New Boot

Hello again, i hope that you're still out there for one more question about that mic., it seems that the RODE Shotgun is realy good for the price, but i saw the picture of it and can i fix it on the same place where it was the JVC mic. or must it be set on the ilumenator place, on the top of the viewfinder?

Thank you for any help

Luis Ventura
Old August 29th, 2006, 10:15 AM   #6
Capt. Quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Porter
Take 150 bucks and go get a Rode shotgun and you'll be amazed at the difference.
Which one? I'm assuming it has XLR connection?
Old August 29th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #7
New Boot

Hi, i went for Rode shotgun seerch and found this one for 150 bucks, i assume this is the one they talk about but on the picture it doesn't look like i can attach it on the same place as i attach tha JVC mic and i don't know if has a XLR conector.

here you can see it http://dvcreators.net/products/videomic2.html

Thank you for your help

Luis Ventura
Old August 29th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #8
Trustee

I don't use a Rode mic, but I think for the HD100 this is the one talked about. Someone should confirm this, though:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
This is the Rode NTG-2.

The Rode VideoMic has a built-in shock mount that mounts on the shoe. The output is also 1/8" miniplug, which does not plug directly into the HD100, but does plug into cameras with consumer inputs (such as the FX1):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #9
Major Player

No, I am talking about the Rode NTG-1. You will need to get a short XLR cable made up at the same time (about 32 centimeters long I think). This connects to one of the audio inputs in exactly the same way as the supplied micrphone.

Go to the Rode main website and you will see the NTG -1 (I think also that there is a version with battery power but you will not need that as you cam can obviously supply phantom power).

You will also see at the main Rode website reviews of this mic. I have some excellent high end mics including Schoeps MK41, and have used a range of industry standard shotguns including the venerable Sennheiser 416 (and its successor). I cannot stress enough what excellent value the Rode NTG-1 is for the money. I agree with one reviewer who says that is about 95% as good as the much more expensive Sennheiser 416. That is a big claim for a microphone that costs about 300 australian but I think it is true.

Rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #10
Trustee

Here's the Rode NTG-1:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...o&Dept=cameras

And on the Rode website:
http://www.rodemic.com/?pagename=Products&product=NTG-1

The NTG-1 is 8.54 inches long, whereas the NTG-2 is a less convenient 11 inches long.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems