2 Questions For Ya'll at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 7th, 2006, 12:22 PM   #1
Major Player

2 Questions For Ya'll

Hi,

I have two questions.

1. Any news on when FCP5 will support HD100 24P?

2. Is there a way to edit realtime with HD 24p footage? It seems like i have to render everything everytime I import a clip into the timeline.

Thanks
Old September 7th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke
Hi,
2. Is there a way to edit realtime with HD 24p footage? It seems like i have to render everything everytime I import a clip into the timeline.
What machine do you use and what compressor do you have setup for the sequence? I edit in real tim on a MacBookPro at 30p and it's fine.
Old September 7th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #3
Major Player

1) nobody really knows when or if FCP will support 24p for the HD100. The rumors are all over the place on that one.

2) If you don't need the audio, capture 24p footage with the AIC 720-30p codec, then use cinema tools to conform the frame rate to 29.97 You won't need to "render" your video files after doing this as long as your timeline settings are correct and match.

If you need audio with your footage, you need to purchase Lumiere HD, this is an external capture program that everyone is using.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 01:03 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Hi,

I have two questions.

1. Any news on when FCP5 will support HD100 24P?
No, we still have to wait.

Quote:

Thanks
Yes, transcode your files up to DVCProHD 24p. Unfortunately this might require additional hardware for your system.
Old September 7th, 2006, 01:21 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Brian,

don't know about FCP ... I'm also still waiting.

one FCP trick I didn't know until recently: when you want to edit any format in a timeline set for another format go to the RT button on the left side near the sequence tab on the timeline and change the setting from Safe RT to Unlimited RT . This will allow you to make edits in RT with several different formats of video (or HD24p in a HDV30p or AIC30p timeline) without having to render at each new clip or change in the sequence.

I wish I knew about this earlier.... having probably doubled my editing timeload on the last few projects.. oh well
Ben Chace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 01:42 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser
Yes, transcode your files up to DVCProHD 24p.
Hmmm, last time I checked DVCProHD clipped the horizontal size at 960 pixels and then used pixel shift to get to 1280. I might be wrong but i I'm right then I would not use that format. Convert the footage from m2t to .mov using MPEG Stream clip and AIC. Bring the footage into FCP, you're set.
Old September 7th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

FCP update 5.1.2 with 720p/25 & 24 unveiled soon?

There is a new JVC Highway brochure - anouncement of FCP update: Now with Final Cut Pro 5.1.2 (available soon as
a free software update for registered owners of
version 5.1) Apple has added support for native
720p/25 and 720p/24 editing, as delivered by JVC’s
ProHD camcorders with their natively progressive HDV
engine (HDV1)....
Whatever "soon" means...
The german site of jvc quotes this. Look at:
http://www.jvcpro.de/highway/imgserv...ighway2_en.pdf
Edwin Beeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 06:14 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jaco
1) nobody really knows when or if FCP will support 24p for the HD100. The rumors are all over the place on that one.

2) If you don't need the audio, capture 24p footage with the AIC 720-30p codec, then use cinema tools to conform the frame rate to 29.97 You won't need to "render" your video files after doing this as long as your timeline settings are correct and match.

If you need audio with your footage, you need to purchase Lumiere HD, this is an external capture program that everyone is using.
I have lumiere and also HDXDV, both don't seem to make a difference when it comes to editing realtime in FCP5. Someone told me its because its HD I am editing and that the files are way too big to edit real time.
Old September 7th, 2006, 06:18 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Chace
Brian,

don't know about FCP ... I'm also still waiting.

one FCP trick I didn't know until recently: when you want to edit any format in a timeline set for another format go to the RT button on the left side near the sequence tab on the timeline and change the setting from Safe RT to Unlimited RT . This will allow you to make edits in RT with several different formats of video (or HD24p in a HDV30p or AIC30p timeline) without having to render at each new clip or change in the sequence.

I wish I knew about this earlier.... having probably doubled my editing timeload on the last few projects.. oh well
That worked!!!!!!!!! You ROCK BIG TIME... This is going to save a ton of time... THANKS>..
Old September 7th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
I have lumiere and also HDXDV, both don't seem to make a difference when it comes to editing realtime in FCP5. Someone told me its because its HD I am editing and that the files are way too big to edit real time.
Unlikely unless your machine is pretty slow. The HDV codec is not the best option for editing. The new NLEs go a long way trying to make the editing of HDV material simple but the reality is that the codec was never meant for editing. The use of GOPs makes it so.
For example, if you make an edit in the middle of a GOP, the NLE will have to calculate the progressive transformations to get to that frame. If you need to apply color correction or other filters/transformations, this will turn into a pretty heavy toll.
When you export from FCP to QuickTime making a reference movie, operation that usually should take just a couple of minutes, FCP has to uncompress and recompress your footage. This, depending on your machine and the length of your sequence, can take a few hours.
On the other hand, if you convert your clips, either outside or by selecting a differenr compressor in the timeline, to a better codec, like AIC, then all the transformations and edits will happen to "real" frames. This will improve the response time of your machine and exports will happen in a fraction of the time because all that FCP has to do is to create a QT file with pointers to the already rendered clips.
Old September 7th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
Hmmm, last time I checked DVCProHD clipped the horizontal size at 960 pixels and then used pixel shift to get to 1280. I might be wrong but i I'm right then I would not use that format. Convert the footage from m2t to .mov using MPEG Stream clip and AIC. Bring the footage into FCP, you're set.
Oops, you are right about that. But DVCProHD is better if your capture thru a third party board like the Blackmagic. AIC is better for in computer transcoding.

However, I have experimented with AIC and I'm not happy with the some new artifacts it produced in my hand held images. I do grant that HDV isn't the greatest with hand held images either but the addition of more artifacts isn't exciting.

I have avoided 24p for the most part and have mostly been shooting and editing 30p HDV realtime on a MacBook Pro and the clients are happy with the "film look" 30p creates.
Old September 7th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #12
Major Player

Here Is My Scenario:

I shoot 30 minutes worth of 24p hd to my DRhd100. The files are all M2T files. I use AVID Xpress Pro HD and MPG2 Streamclip. How should my workflow go?
Can anyone please fill in the blanks without saying the "C" word (ie., capture). thank you

1)First...._________________________________________________________

2)Then...._________________________________________________________

3)Then...____________________________________________________________

4)Then..._________________________________________________________

5)___________________________________________________________

6)and so on....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems