Adobe pp2.0 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 22nd, 2006, 08:41 AM   #31
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
I never use "current settings" as I either make an HDV movie where everything must be re-rendered
Well, we have different workflows. I pre-render the sequences since I often need to do it anyway when using plug-ins like Magic Bullet. Given that I have to render the effects, I select the codec in the sequence, usually AIC, let it go, when I'm done I use "Current settings" to export the whole footage in a couple of minutes. Then I drop the resulting QuickTime file into compressor and do the final transcoding.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 12:48 AM   #32
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
Well, we have different workflows. I pre-render the sequences since I often need to do it anyway when using plug-ins like Magic Bullet.
I tried MB once and couldn't see any reason to wait for rendering just to get a "look." The audience will never know I chose not to spend time getting look "A" if they see look "B." So, if B is RT -- why not?

In short, if it's not RT -- forget it. :)
Old September 23rd, 2006, 12:52 AM   #33
Trustee

Oh Brother Where Art Thou used special coloring techniques that took weeks to do. They did a test render on certain frames from scenes and then decided on a final look, and did it.

Maybe you could do something similar...certainly MB doesn't take weeks to render...
Old September 23rd, 2006, 03:02 PM   #34
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
Oh Brother Where Art Thou used special coloring techniques that took weeks to do.
Of course this is now entering the field of image grading/color correction, aestethic choices etc. etc. What I like about the digital grading techniques like Magic Bullet is the the ability to shift the gamma settings further and more finely of what you can do in camera. It's the digital world equivalent of, partially, what is done in the film lab. There is a free plugin for FCP, http://www.pureandapplied.com.au/ , that has a "film gamma" effect that can be used to esperiment with the idea. MB gives you more control but the concept is similar. The way that you can shift the gamma and then tweak it until it gets right is a way of improving the look of you footage that I appreciate a lot. One of the great luxuries of shooting in digital. Another feature that I like is to bet able to finely control the look. Color shift (warm/cool), diffusion and many other factors. It's just a matter of getting the image where I want and one of the ideas behind TrueColor: get the most neutral look in camera in order to keep all the bits intact and ready for digital grading.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems