Mpegstreamclip?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 16th, 2006, 07:38 PM   #1
New Boot

Mpegstreamclip??

I have been reading that MPEGSTREAMCLIP can be used to capture 720p 24p footage to be used in FCP. I have MPEGSTREAMCLIP but whats the process for captureing? FCP doesn't rcognize the camera so how do I get the footage from the camera into MPEGSTREAMCLIP?

Maybe I am missing the obvious, but I can't figure this out.

Please help.

Thanks

BC
Britt Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 09:36 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Britt.

You can use DVHSCap to capture. Use the search function and you will find numerous threads concerning the use of DVHSCap and MPEG Streamclip in both this forum and the "Final Cut for HD/HDV" forum.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 11:57 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Cyrus
I have been reading that MPEGSTREAMCLIP can be used to capture 720p 24p footage to be used in FCP.
The stream coming from the camera is an MPEG2 Transport stream (.m2t), MPEG Streamclip can be used to *convert* .m2t files to standard QT .mov files. The capture process has to be done by another program. You can use HDVxDV (payment) or DVHSCap. The latter is part of the FireWire SDK from Apple (http://developer.apple.com/sdk/) Just install the SDK and forget about the other apps. Drag the DVHSCap app to your Dock or desktop and you can start capturing with it.
Old September 17th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #4
New Boot

Paolo,
thanks a million. I just captured 720p 24p and imported to FCP.

takes 2 extra steps but I can do it!!

THANKS!
Britt Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

1st time with MPEG Streamclip

so, when using MPEG Streamclip with HDV 720p30 footage, when exporting to QT, i'm assuming under Compression, I'd select "Apple HDV 720p30", with quaility set to "100%".

Editing in FCP 5.

i have to capture a lot of footage this way, so want to make sure i have it right before getting hours into this. any other settings i should make? other recommendations? I unchecked the "interlaced Scaling" and "reinterlace chroma" check boxes.
Eric Kome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kome
so, when using MPEG Streamclip with HDV 720p30 footage, when exporting to QT, i'm assuming under Compression, I'd select "Apple HDV 720p30", with quaility set to "100%".
Not quite. MPeg Streamclip re-encodes during the "export" process, so selecting the HDV 720P30 codec will re-encode your existing HDV into HDV AGAIN.

I recommend using Apple Intermediate Codec. It is an all "I-frame" codec that is indistinguishable from the original, and the data rate is only about double of HDV.

However, since you shot 720P30, you really don't need to go through all of this extra work. FCP5 fully supports 720P30 HDV natively. Just set your easy setup to HDV 720p30 and you are set. You can log and capture with TC just like DV.
Old November 9th, 2006, 07:24 PM   #7
Inner Circle

One item to make sure is that MPEGStreamclip is set to 23.98 fps when converting HDV 24p. You'll have to manually type it in otherwise it defaults to 60p and creates a huge file in the process.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems