Capturing in SD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 19th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #1
New Boot

Capturing in SD

Hey guys, been a long time since i've posted, anyway...

this has probably been discussed a thousand times and i'm sorry for asking again, but i'm trying, really really really trying to capture some footage that was shot with my JVC GY...

The final product is going to be on dvd so I don't know why we shot it in HDV, but we did and can't go back so anyway, onto my question.

I'm using a Vegas 6 setup, trying to capture the footage as just plain ol' .avi's so i can edit it down. I've tried HDConnect but i've ran out of my trial period and can't afford to buy the program. I've tried using the built in capture program in Vegas, but the m2t files are too large.

Should I just capture it all as M2t's and then render them out as avi's? If i'm not mistaken the camera can't do an automatic downgrade of the footage from HD to SD right? a friend of mine uses a Sony HDRFX1 and it does that conversion in the camera. Could i use his camera to capture the footage as SD avi's?

I'm freaking out here... and i'm sorry that this is probably a question that's been covered a million times, but i had to ask and you guys are the experts ;)

any help would be appreciated.

Matt
Matt Loucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 06:13 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Loucks
If i'm not mistaken the camera can't do an automatic downgrade of the footage from HD to SD right?
It can, but only through the analog outputs.
Old September 20th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #3
New Boot

If i hooked up my Component out on my JVC into the Component in on a Sony HDV deck, could i re-record my footage onto a DV tape in standard def with a letterbox, or better yet, could I just hook the deck up firewire and directly capture the footage (playing off the JVC) onto my computer?
Matt Loucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 09:53 PM   #4
Major Player

Matt, your best bet is to borrow or rent the JVC HD50 deck. It can downconvert to SD through FW and you can select formatting (letterboxing, etc.). I don't think that what you are suggesting with the SONY camera would work at all.
Old September 21st, 2006, 12:56 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala
Matt, your best bet is to borrow or rent the JVC HD50 deck. It can downconvert to SD through FW and you can select formatting (letterboxing, etc.). I don't think that what you are suggesting with the SONY camera would work at all.
As far as I know or have experienced, the HD-BR50 can only downconvert to analog outs, just like the camera. It does have the extra options of anamorphic or letterboxed, which is nice, and it will add window burn-in TC.
Old September 21st, 2006, 02:33 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Loucks
If i hooked up my Component out on my JVC into the Component in on a Sony HDV deck, could i re-record my footage onto a DV tape in standard def with a letterbox, or better yet, could I just hook the deck up firewire and directly capture the footage (playing off the JVC) onto my computer?
Matt,
I don't know about you Sony HDV deck, but my camera, a Sony DSR-250P (DVCAM) does convert analog to digital (DV) on the fly. It's probably the way to go.
Sergio Barbosa
Sergio Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 10:08 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
As far as I know or have experienced, the HD-BR50 can only downconvert to analog outs, just like the camera. It does have the extra options of anamorphic or letterboxed, which is nice, and it will add window burn-in TC.
Tim, you are right, I remember now that I used the component inputs on Mojo to get SD out of the deck... So, unless Matt's Vegas has any way of inputting component, this would not be the path.
Old September 21st, 2006, 10:48 AM   #8
Major Player

Matt, I don't know where you are located, but maybe there is someone living close to you from the forum who want's to convert the files for you into DV.
The Cineform update I got from AspectHD last week, has now features in the HDlink software to capture in HDV and to convert into DV with high quality settings and to 4:3 or 16:9. No special software needed anymore to up- or downconvert.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems