New Core 2 Duo Processors and HDV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 29th, 2006, 11:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New Core 2 Duo Processors and HDV?

Has anyone tried the new core 2 duo processors with HDV? Desktop? Laptop? I am definately interested to see how the new processors in the laptops hold up with 720p HDV? I heard the processors are really fast! Perhaps a 2.33 Ghz Laptop w/ 2Gigs of ram might hold up well? equiped with Avid Liquid 7? Anyone?
Brian Ladue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I edit HD and DV on my Macbook Pro w/ 2gigs of ram. Works great. I use the firewire 800 to edit directly from my G-Tech raid.

I would recommend it. I'm sure the new Mac Pros also work great as well.

[dan]
Dan G. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2006, 01:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I had a chance to play with a Mac Pro at my local Apple Store not too long ago. They let me bring in my own footage and do some mucking about. The only word to describe the experience was "Smokin'". I didn't run a stopwatch or anything, but I'd say you're looking at a 25%+ speed improvement over a G5.

What's even cooler is that someone did a test, and you can pull the processors out of a Mac Pro and replace them with the new Quad-core Kentsfield processors. So you end up with a total of 8 cores running. Haven't seen any benchmarks on it, and I can't guarantee that it's really possible. (You never know on the internet) But I start drooling when I imagine how fast that would be for rendering.
Ben Brainerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2006, 03:28 AM   #4
Major Player

I've ordered the new 24" iMac - 2.33Ghz & 2gb ram. I too will be using the G tech G raid drives for editing (when the darned thing arrives - ordered the mac 2 weeks ago and it still hasn't arrived :( )

Couldn't afford to get the mac pro; when you take into account the new iMac has a 24" HD screen then it makes more sense. I expect this to suit my needs for some time.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2006, 09:02 AM   #5
Trustee

Just adding to the consensus. MacBookPro 17" Core duo, both 720p and 1080 24fps from Sony F-350, just fine. Most effects processed in real time. It's your portable edit station.
Old September 30th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #6
New Boot

Just to add. I use 17" intel MacBook Pro w/2 gigs ram. I love the speed and the rt abilities for a portable workstation. Very fast.
Jason Coblentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2006, 12:04 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Out of curiousity.... are you guys using FCP? And when the HD200 comes out (i'm planning on purchasing *can't wait*) will there be any problems editing 720 60p? I downloaded Avid Liquid 7 and didn't see the option to edit 60p. so i wondered!? and is FCP now fully capable of editing all framerates of JVC's ProHD cams?
Brian Ladue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2006, 12:05 PM   #8
Major Player

We opted for the Desktop Mac Pro 2.6Ghz (5150 chip) Dual CPU / Dual core with 4GB RAM... unbelievably fast! It has cut through everything like a hot knife through butter. Our render times have been cut down to 1/4 - 1/2 of our more recent smoken system (that was less than year old). Using the older system now for anything feels painful.

I'll put up a benchmark test results sometime... faster if anyone can point me to a good free encoder or something online to use.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Ladue
Out of curiousity.... are you guys using FCP? And when the HD200 comes out (i'm planning on purchasing *can't wait*) will there be any problems editing 720 60p? I downloaded Avid Liquid 7 and didn't see the option to edit 60p. so i wondered!? and is FCP now fully capable of editing all framerates of JVC's ProHD cams?
Using FCP, editing every week a 3-camera interview using the multi-camera feature and yes, FCP plays back 3 synchronized videos on a Laptop. Regarding future features, nobody can know. Hopefully support for 60p will come soon but it's really in the hands of JVC to cooperate with all the vendors and convince them to support the format. I tried 60fps as overcrank for 24fps on the Sony F-350 and it goes into FCP without problems. As it is today FCP supports all the HD100 frame rates.
Old September 30th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
...Hopefully support for 60p will come soon but it's really in the hands of JVC to cooperate with all the vendors and convince them to support the format.

Hey Paolo. :)

Do you mean "Native" without an add-on board (as in the 720/60P 12GOP) of the future JCV cams? Or...?

From my understanding, we can edit 60P now, but you must us a board and the settings provided by that manufacturer in your NLE (of choice). I have HD-SDI 720/60P in PPro 2 and could buy a converter to go the SDI route if needed. Or go straight to the Multibridge for that matter.

Or are you strictly speaking in the FC realm that it's not an option at this time. I'm sorry to be the "why kid" but I'm not clear on exactly what you mean.

Whoaa... Sorry I realized I got way OT here, you can reply in short form. ;)
RED ONE #977
Old September 30th, 2006, 01:11 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Patton
Do you mean "Native" without an add-on board (as in the 720/60P 12GOP) of the future JCV cams? Or...?
Yes, native. FCP handles most formats directly, without any added hardware. That's the case for 24p,30p,60i and others. When the HD200 will come out I expect to be able to capture the 60p stream by using the FW connection. Also, the early specs of the format seems to keep most of the data configuration the same with a difference in the length of the GOP.

Quote:
From my understanding, we can edit 60P now, but you must us a board
The HD100 doesn't support 60p via Firewire and that's why you need an external board to capture the component signal. I don't think that that is a requirement for the NLE.

Cheers!
Old September 30th, 2006, 01:45 PM   #12
Major Player

Got it, I also understood the change in GOP from 6 to 12 for the 60P, they have to take somewhere in order to give. :)

I'm aware we can not capture 60P via firewire, and hence the board option, I was just unclear as to your thinking on the limitation being in the NLE or the camera/manufactuere end of things when it came to the stream. My first impression was of you saying it was a limitation of the NLE. That confused me. I understand now what you mean though, it's not on the NLE side, thanks for clearing that up.

It sometimes takes time to get my noodle around all of the limitations, sources as well as the reasons. ;)

Peace!
RED ONE #977
Old September 30th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Patton
My first impression was of you saying it was a limitation of the NLE.
I want to be sure we understand each other here. FCP has support for the current frame rates for the HD100. The 60p, as designed for the HD200, is still an unknown and we can't speculate until we see it. It can be that when the HD200 is release there will not be any NLE able to capture the new 60p. It rests to be tested.
Old September 30th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #14
Trustee

What about the SD 60p format from the HD100? That is recording to tape since it is SD resolution it can record at the full 60p. Does that format work in FCP?
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2006, 04:07 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
I want to be sure we understand each other here. FCP has support for the current frame rates for the HD100. The 60p, as designed for the HD200, is still an unknown and we can't speculate until we see it. It can be that when the HD200 is release there will not be any NLE able to capture the new 60p. It rests to be tested.

This maybe a question for Carl Hicks of JVC to answer!? I wonder if he knows anything on the status of any development for NLE's to be compatible with 60p? or will they be pushing for the sale of the HD10? Deck ??
Brian Ladue is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems