DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   GY-HD250U now shipping (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/78300-gy-hd250u-now-shipping.html)

Carl Hicks November 2nd, 2006 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
Carl, when will we get details about the inner workings of the lens converter?

As soon as we have the info. Sorry to be vague, but we have not been given the details yet.

Oki Russell November 4th, 2006 04:48 AM

Hi Carl and everyone else!
It's great you are here to answer our questions.
I wonder in particular if there any improvements in dynamic range (comparing to 110). And if so, any image please?
Thank you.

Greg Milneck November 4th, 2006 07:34 AM

We received a 250 yesterday. I'll try to post some images soon.

Jaadgy Akanni November 4th, 2006 07:44 AM

Greg, looking forward to those images. How much did you pay, if I may ask?

Steve Rosen November 4th, 2006 02:22 PM

Greg: Some may recognize me from the XL H1 side of this forum.. I love my H1, it takes terrific pictures, no complaint there, but am seriously considering a 250 for ergonomic reasons, plus I dislike the finder on the Canon - and use a manual 16x most of the time because I don't like auto lenses...

I make documentaries, mostly handheld, and admired JVC for the intellegent physical design of their camera.. in fact, I almost bought a 100 last December, but shied away because of the split image issue and bad reports on the supplied lens, so I went with the H1...

I'm excited about the possibility of getting a 250 with a Canon lens after December... That's a new camera every year for 5 years for me!.. When is it going to stop?

I will be very interested to hear your feedback on this new version..

Carl Hicks November 4th, 2006 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oki Russell
Hi Carl and everyone else!
It's great you are here to answer our questions.
I wonder in particular if there any improvements in dynamic range (comparing to 110). And if so, any image please?
Thank you.

I'm thinking that the new 14 bit A/D may increase dymanic range, but no testing has been done yet to compare it to the 110. Perhaps some new HD250 owners out there can comment once they have had a chance to shoot some test footage.

Uri Blumenthal November 14th, 2006 12:23 PM

Capabilities of GY-HD200U?

Carl, could you shed some light please:

1. Canon has an adapter for XL2 and XL H1 cameras that allows attaching 35mm EOS lenses (with understanding that it has about 7x effect, so the lenses would be very much telephoto regardless of the focal length). Is GY-HD200 compatible, i.e. can I use that Canon adapter with it to shoot with Canon 35mm EOS L-quality lenses?

2. What exactly are the differences between HD250U and HD200U? What does one have (or can do) that the other one doesn't? Electronically (CCDs and the rest of the tract) they are the same, correct?

3. Will HD200U be sold by B&H Photo and Video?

4. Is Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 compatible with the output from this camera? How does one move the footage from it to PC with Premiere Pro? Any particular settings prescribed?

5. What does HD200U record 720p60 to? Tape? Hard disk drive? How to record it, and how to transfer this footage to computer? What's the recommended workflow?

Thank you!

Carl Hicks November 14th, 2006 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uri Blumenthal
Carl, could you shed some light please:

1. Canon has an adapter for XL2 and XL H1 cameras that allows attaching 35mm EOS lenses (with understanding that it has about 7x effect, so the lenses would be very much telephoto regardless of the focal length). Is GY-HD200 compatible, i.e. can I use that Canon adapter with it to shoot with Canon 35mm EOS L-quality lenses? -

I don't know. Does the Canon mount use the same 1/3" mount as our cameras?

Quote:

2. What exactly are the differences between HD250U and HD200U? What does one have (or can do) that the other one doesn't? Electronically (CCDs and the rest of the tract) they are the same, correct?
CCD's, imaging processing and encoders are the same. GY-HD250 adds genlock, full CCU control, time code in/out, pool feed, HDSDI output.

Quote:

3. Will HD200U be sold by B&H Photo and Video?
Please ask them.

Quote:

4. Is Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 compatible with the output from this camera? How does one move the footage from it to PC with Premiere Pro? Any particular settings prescribed?
I have heard that Premier Pro can handle all of the frame rates of the new cameras, but I do not know for sure. Perhaps a Premier expert can chime in. You would connect to the PC with either firewire, or component / HDSDI with a capture card.

Quote:

5. What does HD200U record 720p60 to? Tape? Hard disk drive? How to record it, and how to transfer this footage to computer? What's the recommended workflow?
720p60 can be recorded to HDV tape or the DR-HD100 Hard Drive. From here, you then transfer footage to a NLE that supports 720/60p (there are several), and edit normally.

Uri Blumenthal November 14th, 2006 11:06 PM

Carl, thank you! As for setting the quotes - you put [ QUOTE ] (without blanks) in the beginning of the quoted text, and [ /QUOTE ] at the end. Click "Preview Post" to check whether it looks the way you want, and adjust if needed.

Werner Wesp November 15th, 2006 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Jayson
Hi Carl,

The dutch JVC Pro distributor told me today that the scene files aren't compatible. I think that HD-200/250 user can use the recipes and enter the compatible parameters manually.

That would be annoying news. Carl, can you confirm this?

Uri Blumenthal November 15th, 2006 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Hicks
I don't know. Does the Canon mount use the same 1/3" mount as our cameras?

I think Canon is using XL mount - that may be different from your 1/3"...

Does anybody on this thread know whether Canon XL lens mount is compatible with JVC 1/3" mount?

I've read somewhere that one can interchangeably use Canon and Fujinon lenses, but don't remember the details... Anybody could chime in and clarify?

Carl Hicks November 15th, 2006 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uri Blumenthal
I think Canon is using XL mount - that may be different from your 1/3"...

Does anybody on this thread know whether Canon XL lens mount is compatible with JVC 1/3" mount?

I just now looked at a Canon XL-H1. It is not the same mount as the JVC ProHD cameras use.

Werner Wesp November 16th, 2006 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Hicks
I just now looked at a Canon XL-H1. It is not the same mount as the JVC ProHD cameras use.

No, indeed, the mount is anything but the same. The JVC should be a standarised mount (just smaller then the usual 1/2 inch or 2/3 inch). The Canon's prop. (and it includes support for canon lenses as they are completely different: they don't have the grip on the lens, but on the camcorder)