GY-HD250U now shipping at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 26th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #1
JVC America

GY-HD250U now shipping

Some of you might be interested in knowing that a few GY-HD250U's have been shipped in the U.S., and more are coming soon. The authorized dealers have pricing in-hand, and many have already ordered demo units. Please contact your local JVC Pro Reseller for pricing and to arrange a demo when available.

Regards,
Old October 26th, 2006, 09:07 PM   #2
Major Player

Is there any difference in resolution/quality from the HD100?
Old October 26th, 2006, 09:55 PM   #3
JVC America

Hi Brian,

Other than the many features differences between the HD100/110 and the HD250, yes, there are two significant improvements in the electronics that will benefit the image quality.

First, the A/D converter has been improved to 14 bit. Some benefits of this are better S/N ratio, better color gradients, more gamma adjustments, and more accurate output calibrations between the left and right sides of the image, even in high gain situations.

Second, the HD250 has a new MPEG encoder, dubbed the "Super Encoder". This new encoder will support two new frame rates in HD - 50p and 60p. Shooting at these new higher frame rates will yield smoother video when shooting fast moving subjects, or when there is a need to move the camera fast. Slo-mo and still frame sharpness also improves.

Regards,
Old October 26th, 2006, 10:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Sounds better =) I assume shooting at 60P and slowing it down will give you a much smoother cinelike slow mo, which is in HD, not DV mode, correct?

Also, any idea if they will ever create a timelaspe mode? And more importantly, for me at least, will they ever give you a control button to control the speed of the frame in real time recording? i.e I can shoot at different speeds controlling in real time, for some super cool effects? If they haven't thought of it, it will be extremeley beneficial, since real film cameras allow you to change speed when recording. Raging Bull comes to mind for such effects.

Thanks
Old October 26th, 2006, 10:56 PM   #5
Major Player

Carl,

You mention the A/D converter, pardon my lack of lack of understanding, but when going out the SDI on the new 250, is it still going through some form of A/D converter, or is it straight digital.

This is one of the problems with using the Black Magic boards and our current HD100 via component, no matter how clean a signal we can now capture on the side of the system via BM, the limitation appears to be the cameras DAC and component. Am I correct or incorrect in assuming that the 250's SDI out will avoid some form of DAC like component, and in turn will clean things up bit.

Also the 14 bit A/D converter improvement you mention, is it only via SDI out or is it to the Super encoder and MPEG tape stream. You mention both but it's unclear if they are working together.

Thanks in advance.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 12:47 AM   #6
Major Player

A/D conversion refers to taking the analog signals straight from the CCDs and converting them to digital for processing and encoding.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 04:24 AM   #7
Major Player

Does the HD200 have the same electronics? Does the HD110 get the same 14-bit A/D converter?
David Ziegelheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 06:51 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Carl,

I was at NAB-NY on Wednesday looking and playing with the 250, and it is a great camera. The JVC rep told me that B&H will not be selling this camera, and I need to purchase it through a high-end dealer, suggesting that B&H is low-end, is this true? Will I be able to buy this camera from B&H? The reason I want to confirm this is that B&H usually has the best price.

Thanks.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 08:40 AM   #9
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Ahonen
A/D conversion refers to taking the analog signals straight from the CCDs and converting them to digital for processing and encoding.
Daniel, Stephan is exactly correct here. All CCD's output analog signals, and then the analog signal is digitized by an A/D converter. The higher the bit rate of the A/D converter, the more accurate the digital signal is compared to the raw analog signal.

The HD-SDI signal will be the best quality output from the camera.

The new 14 bit A/D is on the front-end of the camera electronics, so it affects and improves performance to tape, HDD, and to all of the live outputs.

Regards,

Last edited by Carl Hicks; October 27th, 2006 at 10:39 AM.
Carl Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #10
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke
Sounds better =) I assume shooting at 60P and slowing it down will give you a much smoother cinelike slow mo, which is in HD, not DV mode, correct?

Also, any idea if they will ever create a timelaspe mode? And more importantly, for me at least, will they ever give you a control button to control the speed of the frame in real time recording? i.e I can shoot at different speeds controlling in real time, for some super cool effects? If they haven't thought of it, it will be extremeley beneficial, since real film cameras allow you to change speed when recording. Raging Bull comes to mind for such effects.

Thanks
Hi Brian,

Due to the way long GOP MPEG works, I think it would be very difficult to do time lapse or single frame recording, as well as continuously variable frame rates. (We do now offer 5 frame rates in HD). But who knows, one day our engineers may find a way to add those features. Don't expect it anytime soon though.

Regards,
Old October 27th, 2006, 08:57 AM   #11
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Martin
Hi Carl,

I was at NAB-NY on Wednesday looking and playing with the 250, and it is a great camera. The JVC rep told me that B&H will not be selling this camera, and I need to purchase it through a high-end dealer, suggesting that B&H is low-end, is this true? Will I be able to buy this camera from B&H? The reason I want to confirm this is that B&H usually has the best price.

Thanks.
Carl,

Price is not the only consideration on a product that is as complex and feature-rich as the GY-HD250U. Please contact your JVC District Sales Manager to discuss any questions you might have about the best choice of resellers in your area. I will e-mail you the contact info for the JVC rep in the New York area.

Regards,
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Patton
This is one of the problems with using the Black Magic boards and our current HD100 via component, no matter how clean a signal we can now capture on the side of the system via BM, the limitation appears to be the cameras DAC and component.
Daniel, whats the issue here?

We get a fine picture from our HD100 through component capture on a black magic multibridge extreme.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #13
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ziegelheim
Does the HD200 have the same electronics? Does the HD110 get the same 14-bit A/D converter?
David, The GY-HD200 is planned to have the same improved electronics as the GY-HD250.

The GY-HD110U, now being the entry level ProHD camera, does not have the new Super Encoder or the 14 bit A/D. None the less, the GY-HD110 still produces a fine picture - better than any in it's price class.

Regards,
Old October 27th, 2006, 01:46 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hicks
Carl,

Price is not the only consideration on a product that is as complex and feature-rich as the GY-HD250U. Please contact your JVC District Sales Manager to discuss any questions you might have about the best choice of resellers in your area. I will e-mail you the contact info for the JVC rep in the New York area.

Regards,
Thanks Carl, I know who my DM is. I also know that price is not the only consideration, but one must look for the best price, would you not agree?

So I guess it is true then that B&H will not be selling the 250?

Thanks.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 04:51 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Wow! That would realy suck if it were true...
Carl Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems