First impressions of the HD250 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 8th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #1
Major Player

First impressions of the HD250

Today we received our two HD250's. Some of the first in the states I'm told. I'm hoping that's not a bad thing. :)

We also went with one 13X Fujinon. I concure with Daniel that this pairing is really nice. The lens feels like it weighs about the same as the camera. The first thing you notice is the camera is now very long and resembles something you would use in Quake. Something like a plasma grenade launcher.

The system includes an Anton Bauer mount (more on that later) and a JVC sony tripod plate. Quess I need to return the JVC plate I ordered. The 250 now uses a two hard point mounting scheme. A good thing to distribute weight.

I only used the camera for a few minutes...and you always notice the negatives as much as the positives.

The image in the viewfinder looks really good, yet I found myself wishing for a better view finder, as this one is the same as the HD100. But even in the viewfinder the image looks so crisp. The 13X is probably the main reason for it. No 2X but I never use that much anyway.

After using the camera for a few minutes we also noticed, it seems like it's not as sensitive as the HD100? I tried a few of the frame rates and shutter speeds...same thing. It seems like it's a stop or two darker. Is that the 13X? I would think I'd gain a stop with this lens? Hmmm.

Next, I noticed a strange artifact in the viewfinder...a horizontal smear on any blown out highlight. I noticed it when shooting a LCD computer monitor...the smear in the viewfinder extended from the highlight in both directions...not sure if it's the finder or the camera...I'll need more time to test that issue.

We are pretty excited to get these cameras into our production schedule in the coming weeks. I'll report more on our experiences.

Now, about the Anton Bauer mount...why don't they just make the screw bracket back pane a default. Almost everyone uses that for mounting wireless units and DDR's. All of our cameras have that type of back plate.
Even the HD100 anton adaptors have it. The 250's don't. So I can't attach my BEC wireless holders or the Anton Bauer Firestore mount. I know it's probably an simple fix, order a part, screw it in..etc. but I've come to know these small pieces of metal cost at least $50. Why not just make it standard?

Another Hmmm.

Dave Beaty
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beaty
Now, about the Anton Bauer mount...why don't they just make the screw bracket back pane a default. Almost everyone uses that for mounting wireless units and DDR's. All of our cameras have that type of back plate.
Even the HD100 anton adaptors have it. The 250's don't. So I can't attach my BEC wireless holders or the Anton Bauer Firestore mount. I know it's probably an simple fix, order a part, screw it in..etc. but I've come to know these small pieces of metal cost at least $50. Why not just make it standard?

Another Hmmm.

Dave Beaty
Here is a thread about the plate to hold a wireless unit:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=79065

The cost is estimated at about $150.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 06:24 AM   #3
Major Player

I made some calls to Anton Bauer and our dealer yesterday about the Anton Bauer accessory mount problem or lack thereof on the 250. So far no info or price.

I would make an arguement that every shooter out there, every production company and every manufactuer would benifit from including the back plate with two screw holes on the plate when installing Anton Bauer Gold Mounts. Why not make it standard OEM?

Even Anton Bauer makes several mounting brackets for various video and audio gear that can fit on the mount.

We have two Lectrosonics 187's wirelesses and 6 Evolution 100's as well as the DR-HD100. I'm not going to stick all this on the hot shoe. We have the BEC wireless mounting boxes and the Anton Bauer Firestore boxes.

Thanks

Dave Beaty
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems