editing solutions 50p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 15th, 2006, 08:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

editing solutions 50p

After recording 50p with HD101, I want to edit the footage in Avid 5.2. I do also have Liquid, but prefer Avid.

Avid does not have a 50p project, so the only way to edit the 50p is to convert the footage to 25p. I did a small test using Mpeg Streamclip, but still not sure how the 50p-25p conversion works. The test I did was to convert the 50p mpeg into 25p quicktime and imported it in Avid. I couldn't see any hickups in the converted footage after importing to Avid, seemed like it was running at 100% speed too, but then again I might have missed something. So what I am really asking if and how Mpeg Streamclip is handling the conversion correctly, and if it this solution will work for SD broadcast?

For slow-mo effects I will use After Effects and Twixtor, so I'm not looking to convert 50p into 25p slow-mo through Mpeg Streamclip.

Also, when using Mpeg Streamclip, why can't I choose "animation" as codec when converting to quicktime. Is Apple Animation the same thing?

Thanks

- Nima
Nima Taheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Any idea what actually happens during this conversion? my point is:

does it merge 2 frames to 1 and therefor making them blurry?

or

does it use only 1 frames of 2 - and therefor you end up with footage that looks like 25p shot with a shutter of at least 100 (which me not be a desired effect either...)?

Anyone? I don't see any problem of solving this. On the one hand shooting 50p attracts me for the possibility of great slo-mo's, but on the other hand: you don't always know beforehand what you are going to slow down, and the parts you don't want to slow down might end up looking different in 25p then you'd want...
Old November 15th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #3
Major Player

I understand your pain Nima! It's incredible that Avid still hasn't sorted this one out. I spoke to an Avid Product Manager recently and he said that they are still not sure when full HDV1 and 720p/50 in general will be implemented. There may be a 720p/50 project option available first as a software update but seems likely that the HDV1 update we all need for the JVC gear will not come until the New Year!!!!!!!!

Anyway, although I agree that it's much more pleasant editing in Xpress Pro or Media Composer, I think you're better off sticking with Liquid for now. If the Avid updates aren't there in time for the online on our current project, we're not going to mess about with conversions for MC/Symphony. We'll just use Liquid software and export a flattened Avid QT of the entire programme to Symphony for output to DigiBeta for SD broadcast. It's not elegant but it works!
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems