How to edit HD from a JVC? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 25th, 2006, 04:52 AM   #1
Major Player

How to edit HD from a JVC?

I know this is a 'newbie' questions except that is what I am in terms of the HD workflow, a 'newbie'. I was wondering if anyone could give me a step-by-step guide to importing HD footage from either HD200 or 250 into final cut pro, including the supported frame rates i.e. 24p 25p 30p 60p etc. Do I need a deck? Do I need specific software? Specific Cords? Are there any existing guides?

Im editing on a quad core Mac Pro with Final Cut Studio, and i was need some guidance before I bought into the camera.

Sorry for the ridiculous question but you have to start somewhere.
Tyson Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #2
Major Player

If you are using Final Cut Pro 5.1.2, 24, 25, and 30p all have easy presets and can be captured straight from the camera. There is no direct support for 60P yet. The only cord you need is a 6-6 pin Firewire 400 cable.

For 60P, you have to download DVHSCap and MPEG Streamclip. With DVHSCap, you can capture a raw .m2t from the camera and then in MPEG Streamclip it can be converted to the editing codec of your choice. Once done, in FCP, you can create a squence with an editing timebase of 59.94 and it should work fine until Apple releases an update for direct support.

Having said all of this, if you use your camera straight as a capture deck, you will wear the heads out quicker. JVC sells a deck, the BR-HD50. It is pricy though:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
You could also buy a DR-HD100:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
which captures directly into the editing codec of your choice, and currently 30P goes right into FCP. 24P is coming very soon.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #3
Major Player

How well does MPEG streamclip convert to say- DVC Pro HD? or is this not an option?

Does this workflow maintain timecode?

I ask because I'd like to be able to use the M2T files right off the firestore HD100 and convert to DVC Pro HD for editing with Kona LH. This would be an awsome workflow because I wouldn't have to purchase the JVC deck and could avoid shooting on tape altogether.

I checked out the MPEG Streamclip website and couldn't find any answers as their website is not too helpful.
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2006, 04:35 PM   #4
Major Player

Justin

Mpegsteamclip does export QT Apple DVC Pro HD in various sizes and rates. On my dual 2.0 G5, it's about realtime.
George Strother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2006, 04:47 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Strother
Justin

Mpegsteamclip does export QT Apple DVC Pro HD in various sizes and rates. On my dual 2.0 G5, it's about realtime.
Does it keep the timecode intact?
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2006, 07:51 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Ferar
Does it keep the timecode intact?
Not it doesn't, I use it in my system (QC G5 2.5 FCS 5.0) DVHSCap to capture in 24p and them transcode to Uncompressed 10-bit for editing, I think you need to organize your material capturing each clip that you are gonna use.
Fernando Orozco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #7
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Perkins
Sorry for the ridiculous question but you have to start somewhere.
You might start with a good book. :)
Old November 26th, 2006, 08:14 AM   #8

i can highly recommend steve mullen's book about HDV and the JVC HD100. I bought it and it's proven invaluable.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Steve Mullen Book

Is there a planned update to this book for the HD200 and 250?
Simon Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #10
Major Player

If there was id be very interested in buying it.
Tyson Perkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems