OT: Huey, if you don't have one, you need one. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 28th, 2006, 11:28 AM   #16

it's, fundamentally, a screen spectrophotometer that maps detected color swatches to an ICC profile, which you then load into your monitor profile to give you corrected colors on the screen.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Silva
so basically this little device will calibrate a crt or lcd perfectly?

thats amazing for 90 bucks.

How does it work?

would it work for calibrating a sony pro video monitor?
It's not "perfect" but it is pretty close. When I do a blue balance the SMPTE color bar chart, the cyan and magenta are pretty close and far closer than without the calibration.

I don't know about a sony pro video monitor because it's typically connected via component or Svid so probably not. The Pantone device calibrates your VGA/DVI connected LCD/CRT monitor.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #18
Trustee

Does this work for an LCD television screen as well?

It seems that Colorvision sells two different versions, one for computer monitor and one for tv screen -- and the Colorvision vision products are both much more expensive the the $79 one talked about here.

(I read in one of the linked reviews that Pantone originally had a deal to work with Colorvision but the arrangement was abandoned and the new relationship was developed.)
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 12:49 PM   #19

TV screens, by definition, are hardwired to sRGBcolor mapping.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
A while back I picked up a Pantone Huey because my LCD's were all of the place for color correcting my HD-100 footage directly on my Computer screen. The little device will send your LCD through a process that will correctly gray balance any screen and IT WORKS.

I know this is off topic from HD-100 stuff but the Huey is such a good thing I think everyone should know about it.

Regards,

Stephen

Thanks Stephen,

We have the Spyder and I'm real unhappy with the results, it's been a huge pain in my @$$. Worse, all our developers/monitors are way off, and not in sync, so the same content looks different on every system. I'm more than happy to give the Huey a shot at calibration in our office.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #21
Inner Circle

The Huey is a nifty little contraption but the software is definitely version one. It can't do a two monitor system unless you trick the computer by switching your main monitor and then switching back. That will work unless the computer's video card won't allow two simultaneous calibrations.

It also does some strange things if you don't want it to continuously monitor the room light. I rather not have the device sitting around all the time. The update available on Pantone's web site seems to help a little but the software needs some fixing. The application preferences which didn't open in Mac version 1.0, with version 1.0.4 opens System Preferences which now has a "Huey" option. But you have to close the Huey application before the options in System Preferences will work. A little clumsy.

The colors do look a lot better but I'll stick with a regular video monitor for now.
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:57 PM   #22
Major Player

Odd I have a Spyder 2 pro, and have done many, many, Calibrations on the windows side with it and have been very happy...

Hey Stephen :D
Salah Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:48 PM   #23
Regular Crew

From the way it looks, I would spring for the PANTONE® Eye-One Display LT for an extra $70. The HUEY only seems to give you "basic" functionality. If you're serious go for the PANTONE® Eye-One Display LT.

cheers
Point Zero Pictures
http://www.pointzeropictures.com
Miklos Philips is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems